It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
    Gotta be the only person in Hollywood history that got 5 stars on allmovie.com for every movie he was involved in.
    He's also the only person where every movie he was involved in was nominated for Best Picture.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
      Gotta be the only person in Hollywood history that got 5 stars on allmovie.com for every movie he was involved in.
      Paul Thomas Anderson comes pretty close.

Hard Eight - 4/5
      Boogie Nights - 5/5
      Magnolia - 4.5/5
      Punch-Drunk Love - 4/5
      There Will Be Blood - 4.5/5

I've yet to see Hard Eight, but the other 4 are all masterpieces, in my opinion.
      Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Saw X-Men: First Class yesterday; if you're a fan of the series it's a good one. Great action, very good storyline, lots of references to future events.

Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
        The first trailer for the US remake of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo ...
        I saw the trailer in the theatre yesterday - looked great; plus I want to find out who does the cover of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song - it sounded awesome in the theatre.
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
          Saw X-Men: First Class yesterday; if you're a fan of the series it's a good one. Great action, very good storyline, lots of references to future events.

I saw the trailer in the theatre yesterday - looked great; plus I want to find out who does the cover of Zeppelin's Immigrant Song - it sounded awesome in the theatre.
          Trent Reznor with Karen O from Yeah Yeah Yeah's. The production on it sounds pretty sweet.
          Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

• Hard Eight is excellent, if not in the same league as the others.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Black Swan is great stuff - A creepy ballet movie and all of the characters fascinating to watch. The characters details in the movements are tremendously accurate

King's Speech is still the best movie of the year
              but
              Inception
              Social Network
              Black Swan
              all tie for second

Comment

• Hanna - Whoa! Really fun action flick. Tons of comparisons to The Professional, but I think I might possibly like this more. Girl grows up in the woods, training her entire life, preparing to take vengeance. I think it's still a couple of weeks from dvd shelves, but check it out.

Night Of The Comet - Really strange one from 1984, about two valley girls surviving an apocalyptic event. I love movies that have scenes of deserted cities (28 Days Later, Omega Man) so this scratches that itch.

Hulk - The 2003 version is something I just never got around to watching until now. I can definitely see why so many people hate it, but I really enjoyed it. Much better than Incredible Hulk. Ignore the bad CG, the weird constant split-screen stuff, trying to feel like a comic, the overwrought dialog, and you should dig it.

Comment

• Saw Hangover II over the weekend. Not as good as the first but some decent laughs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                    Hanna - Whoa! Really fun action flick. Tons of comparisons to The Professional, but I think I might possibly like this more. Girl grows up in the woods, training her entire life, preparing to take vengeance. I think it's still a couple of weeks from dvd shelves, but check it out.

Night Of The Comet - Really strange one from 1984, about two valley girls surviving an apocalyptic event. I love movies that have scenes of deserted cities (28 Days Later, Omega Man) so this scratches that itch.

Hulk - The 2003 version is something I just never got around to watching until now. I can definitely see why so many people hate it, but I really enjoyed it. Much better than Incredible Hulk. Ignore the bad CG, the weird constant split-screen stuff, trying to feel like a comic, the overwrought dialog, and you should dig it.
                    Loved Night of the Comet.

That 1953 Buick Roadmaster was owned by singer/song writer Randy Newman.

Comment

• Originally posted by off_the_wall View Post
                      Saw Hangover II over the weekend. Not as good as the first but some decent laughs.
                      I was really disappointed actually ... really liked the first one. Sure the first was ridiculous and farcical, but there was a bit of soul to it. Part 2 felt really manufactured ... they even re-hashed the supporting cast (gay Chinaman and Tyson) ... not to mention the plain stupid ending.

They should have made a completely new movie ... they had some great characters to work with, and yet all they could manage we a pretty rubbish remake of the first.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
                        I was really disappointed actually ... really liked the first one. Sure the first was ridiculous and farcical, but there was a bit of soul to it. Part 2 felt really manufactured ... they even re-hashed the supporting cast (gay Chinaman and Tyson) ... not to mention the plain stupid ending.

They should have made a completely new movie ... they had some great characters to work with, and yet all they could manage we a pretty rubbish remake of the first.
                        Yea, it was almost beat-for-beat identical to the original, which made it pretty meh. I knew that going in so my expectations were low and thus I wasn't disappointed. But for those who loved the original, save your $.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Super 8 was really, really good. The kids in the cast were excellent, the setting was perfect (Weirton, WV if you're curious) and JJ did a great job of paying homage to Spielberg while keeping the movie his own. Best movie I've seen in a while. It draws a lot of comparisons to ET but for me it was more Goonies.

Comment

• I just saw Factotum, the Matt Dillon led story of Hank Chinaski, the alter-ego of Charles Bukowski.

I'm a huge Bukowski fan, so much so that I named my daughter after the editor that discovers him, and I didn't think I'd like a Bukowski movie better than Barfly, but I did with Factotum.
                            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                              Super 8 was really, really good. The kids in the cast were excellent, the setting was perfect (Weirton, WV if you're curious) and JJ did a great job of paying homage to Spielberg while keeping the movie his own. Best movie I've seen in a while. It draws a lot of comparisons to ET but for me it was more Goonies.
                              I'm targeting this one for July 4 weekend, when my parents are taking the kids for two days as an anniversary present to me and Beth. I'm psyched.

Comment

• saw Midnight in Paris last night - one of Woody Allen better flicks recently, Owen Wilson definitely freshens it up ... great twist that the trailer didn't give away amazingly enough.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X