It's Back: Exceelent Movies I've Seen Lately

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
    Took an eHarmony date to see Black Swan. I thought it was fantastic. She hated it. She actually left her seat while Natalie Portman was getting her box eaten by that hot chick from That 70's Show.

I'm not seeing her again.
    That's awesome, you should suggest "interest in stylized portrayal of carpet-munching ballerinas" as a potential "match criteria" to eHarmony....
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
      Took an eHarmony date to see Black Swan. I thought it was fantastic. She hated it. She actually left her seat while Natalie Portman was getting her box eaten by that hot chick from That 70's Show.

I'm not seeing her again.
      Next you should take her to see Blue Valentine. I hear there are some serious sex scenes in that one, but it's not girl on girl. Initially they received a NC-17 rating but fought it to get an R rating.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I just saw The Adjustment Bureau with Matt Damon over the weekend.
        Name dropper...

I hoped he paid for the popcorn and Milk Duds...
        I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
        You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
        "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
        It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Nothing like an international flight to help catch you up on some movies you kinda wanted to see:

Due Date - Just too silly for my tastes; Zach Galafianakis is much better when he gets to be subtle

It's Kind of a Funny Story - Fairly entertaining although the love story was pretty shallow; Zach's performance was much better in this one

Animal Kingdom - An interesting take on the modern gangster flick; not quite enough action IMO, but the main characters were all quite interesting

Babies - Watching it right now on my computer via Netflix; it's a documentary about 4 babies growing up in different parts of the world (Namibia, Mongolia, Japan, and the US) with zero narration and lots of saggy African boobies; seemed interesting from the trailer but they could've shown the cultural differences in about 10 minutes worth of film rather than 75 minutes

Comment

Oh, and I agree with those who enjoyed Despicable Me. Despite getting mostly rave reviews from critics, I hadn't seen many of the newer animated flicks except for a couple of the Pixar ones (Finding Nemo and Wall-E off the top of my head). While you could still tell it was a kid's movie, there were some truly funny moments and a quality story behind it.

Comment

Kick Ass - The main character, a high school kid named Dave who is into comics, wonders why (to his friends), why there aren't any superheroes around? So, despite just being an ordinary HS kid (few friends, no gir)l and without any special training or powers, he decides to become one...a superhero named Kick Ass.

A really quirky character driven movie...just the kind I love... Plus, a little sex, a whole lotta violence and the kid who played McLovin' gets a thumbs up from me...thoroughly enjoyed it...
              I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
              You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
              "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
              It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
                Kick Ass - The main character, a high school kid named Dave who is into comics, wonders why (to his friends), why there aren't any superheroes around? So, despite just being an ordinary HS kid (few friends, no gir)l and without any special training or powers, he decides to become one...a superhero named Kick Ass.

A really quirky character driven movie...just the kind I love... Plus, a little sex, a whole lotta violence and the kid who played McLovin' gets a thumbs up from me...thoroughly enjoyed it...
                I loved this movie. It's a lot more brutal than you'd think from the premise, so be advised if you think you want to watch with your kids.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Next you should take her to see Blue Valentine. I hear there are some serious sex scenes in that one, but it's not girl on girl. Initially they received a NC-17 rating but fought it to get an R rating.
                  I wouldn't recommend Blue Valentine to anybody currently in a relationship. Some really hard truths about falling out of love. Fantastic movie, but not good for couples hoping to stay together.
                  Larry David was once being heckled, long before any success. Heckler says "I'm taking my dog over to fuck your mother, weekly." Larry responds "I hate to tell you this, but your dog isn't liking it."

Comment

Just saw The Social Network. It was entertaining but I have no idea what all the fuss was about. It was pretty exceptionally far from being an Oscar-worthy movie, imo.
                    Wait, this is Excellent movies I have seen lately. So you are saying it is excellent but not excellent enough to be Oscar worthy.

Or are you saying that we should start a thread Excellent movies that aren't?

Hmmm....be right back.

Comment

Originally posted by Teenwolf View Post
                      I wouldn't recommend Blue Valentine to anybody currently in a relationship. Some really hard truths about falling out of love. Fantastic movie, but not good for couples hoping to stay together.
                      I was kidding.
                      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                        Wait, this is Excellent movies I have seen lately. So you are saying it is excellent but not excellent enough to be Oscar worthy.

Or are you saying that we should start a thread Excellent movies that aren't?

Hmmm....be right back.
                        It's "Exceelent" not "Excellent"

Comment

Just saw The Social Network. It was entertaining but I have no idea what all the fuss was about. It was pretty exceptionally far from being an Oscar-worthy movie, imo.
                          Agreed. While decent, it was far from great by any measure.

Comment

Totally disagree on this one. The writing was sharp, the performances outstanding, and the pace perfect. Haven't seen The King's Speech yet, but The Social Network was the one I was rooting for on Oscar night.

After struggling through Babies (booooring) I cleansed my palette with Exit Through the Gift Shop which was quite exceelent. It's a chronicle of the "street art" scene - most rampant in Los Angeles and London - which is mostly people putting up their own art on random public walls (the most popular being the Andre the Giant "OBEY" image). Not only were the pieces of art fascinating, but the culture of the scene was quite interesting as well.

I must be on some sort of documentary kick, but I watched Best Worst Movie the other day. It's all about Troll 2, rated as the worst movie ever by imdb users. One of the stars of the movie put the documentary together where they talk to all the people involved with the movie including the insane Italian director and the hokey lead actor who also happens to be a dentist. It also taps into the cult movie phenomenon by showing how huge crowds turn out for showings at art house theaters around the country. Pretty entertaining and also kinda sad.

Comment

Just watched Temple Grandin, which is about an autistic girl, cows and geometry. Pleasantly surprised, with excellent performances throughout, especially Clare Danes in the lead role. The opening credits said HBO, so probably a made for TV movie. I fell asleep on Thursday watching Battle: Los Angeles, and was glued to the screen the whole way through for this ... go figure.

Comment

Last night watched "Darby O'Gill and the Little People"...my family's St. Paddy's Day ritual.

Highly enjoyable movie for the family.
                                "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Working...
                                X