Election 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Math is Winning.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Wouldn't it be wonderful to have the next election have two great candidates that the thought/words lesser of two evils would not come into play. Candidates that would have the wisdom and the heart to lead our nation into greatness. Where each party prefers their own candidate, but would still want to support the office of the President?
      Barack Obama was basically that, and yet the Republicans acted like he was the devil. That was the point at which I lost hope in the Republican Party actually caring about America. I think McCain would count for that, too. And Romney isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'd be willing to grant him that status. I don't think the problem is that generally the candidates have been awful. I think the problem is that Donald Trump is awful, no? And that he drags down the whole discourse? And that the Republicans wouldn't accept even Jesus if he were the Democratic candidate?

ETA: By listing Obama, McCain, and Romney, I don't mean to suggest I agree with all their policies. But Obama and McCain, especially, strike me as men of high character who were wise and devoted to the service of their countries. I don't know what more you could ask unless you wanted them each to literally be perfect and have no faults and agree with you on everything.
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• I think there is evidence that Biden is of high character and devoted to the service of his country, too. I don't know how wise or how good of a leader he will be. Time will tell. And he is really old, which is not ideal. I think if Biden and Romney were the worst sort of candidates we got, we'd be in amazing shape.
        "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• This is how I'd line them up since Reagan (when I was really too young to evaluate fairly)

Top tier - couldn't do much better than this if you're being realistic about the job being incredibly hard for one human to undertake
          Obama, McCain

Pretty strong, but with potentially major weaknesses or not outstanding in leadership - this should be the floor, and we'd be fine
          Romney, Biden, Dole, Gore, B. Clinton, Bush Sr

Meh, not awful but feel like we should do better
          H. Clinton, Kerry, Dukakis

Really not qualified but at least somewhat decent as human beings
          GW Bush

50 feet of Crap

Absurdly bad
          Trump

Comment

• If you want to throw Ross Perot in that list, he's somewhere between the "Meh not awful" and "Really not qualified" buckets.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              Barack Obama was basically that, and yet the Republicans acted like he was the devil. That was the point at which I lost hope in the Republican Party actually caring about America. I think McCain would count for that, too. And Romney isn't exactly my cup of tea, but I'd be willing to grant him that status. I don't think the problem is that generally the candidates have been awful. I think the problem is that Donald Trump is awful, no? And that he drags down the whole discourse? And that the Republicans wouldn't accept even Jesus if he were the Democratic candidate?

ETA: By listing Obama, McCain, and Romney, I don't mean to suggest I agree with all their policies. But Obama and McCain, especially, strike me as men of high character who were wise and devoted to the service of their countries. I don't know what more you could ask unless you wanted them each to literally be perfect and have no faults and agree with you on everything.
              To me the problem is how a political party could go all-in with someone like him, that there were no checks and balances to prevent someone like that from leading the party and the country. And obviously it worked ... But at what cost ...
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                To me the problem is how a political party could go all-in with someone like him, that there were no checks and balances to prevent someone like that from leading the party and the country. And obviously it worked ... But at what cost ...
                I loathe the Trump Party as much as anyone, but how do you put checks and balances on a person who nearly 70M people voted to re-elect?
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I loathe the Trump Party as much as anyone, but how do you put checks and balances on a person who nearly 70M people voted to re-elect?
                  Make people pass a test to vote

Comment

This is how I'd line them up since Reagan (when I was really too young to evaluate fairly)

Top tier - couldn't do much better than this if you're being realistic about the job being incredibly hard for one human to undertake
                    Obama, McCain

Pretty strong, but with potentially major weaknesses or not outstanding in leadership - this should be the floor, and we'd be fine
                    Romney, Biden, Dole, Gore, B. Clinton, Bush Sr

Meh, not awful but feel like we should do better
                    H. Clinton, Kerry, Dukakis

Really not qualified but at least somewhat decent as human beings
                    GW Bush

50 feet of Crap

Absurdly bad
                    Trump
                    I really struggle to give anyone a good grade seeing the rise of incredible inequality and the plight of the working class over the last 40 years. I really hope that gets better under Biden, I am rooting hard for him to surprise me.
                    ---------------------------------------------
                    Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                    The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                      I really struggle to give anyone a good grade seeing the rise of incredible inequality and the plight of the working class over the last 40 years. I really hope that gets better under Biden, I am rooting hard for him to surprise me.
                      Pretty much agree with you and i find it unrealistic to expect much of Biden with Mitch still around.

Comment

• Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                        Pretty much agree with you and i find it unrealistic to expect much of Biden with Mitch still around.
                        I am happy Trump is (apparently) gone, and all I can do is hope at this point. I don't expect much.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• BTW, there was a very positive jobs report this morning. Not a peep from the Orange Turd about it. yeah, he really cared about jobs. all he cared about these last four years was one job, his.

Comment

Okay maybe above my top tier you have a tier for FDR and Abraham Lincoln. I wish we had a leader like that, too. And like fuhrdog, I wonder how much even they could accomplish with Mitch McConnell running their Senate.

Comment

at every freeway offramp and many other intersections i see homeless people. I didn't see that 30 years ago. why is that ? why could our government, the greatest in the world, not figure it out. why is that not even an issue in presidential debates and to our presidents?
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Okay maybe above my top tier you have a tier for FDR and Abraham Lincoln. I wish we had a leader like that, too. And like fuhrdog, I wonder how much even they could accomplish with Mitch McConnell running their Senate.
                                I expect a lot more than most people I suspect. Just really hard for me to accept what our country has become.
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X