2018 Midterm Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
    He's too busy admiring himself hovering above the rest of us partisan hacks.
    Who hurt you? How can I help you fix it?
    I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
      Regarding Kemp in GA, I believe I read that he resigned earlier in the week, so he won’t be overseeing any recounts. We won’t ageee on voter suppersion. That’s what the Dems claim every election.

Im am saying that the GOP and the Dems have different definitions of “legal votes”. Just because we’re counting votes still doesn’t make every vote cast legal. There are rules. If one of the two major parties don’t like the rules, don’t wait until the election is over to bitch. In GA it’s my understanding that Abrams can’t win unless she can prove something illegal occurred. So go with the trope of voter suppression. The Dems are claiming that Kemp purged the voting roles to serve his benefit for this election. That he’s purged millions of votes, implying that this purge was recent. He’s purged 1.2 million since 2012. Not in the last couple of months.
      I'm just baffled by what you consider the differing definitions in "legal" votes actually is. I don't think that anyone is alleging that thousands of corpses in Broward cemeteries voted, and I don't see the GOP alleging that sort of behavior either. Good article in WaPo (yes, I know, liberal) about how impartial observers were actually in place on election day.

But the claims of fraud by the president and the governor were undercut Saturday by the Florida Department of State, which said in a statement it found “no evidence of criminal activity at this time.”

Republican suspicions have centered on Democratic-leaning Broward County, Florida’s %second-largest and the site of the “hanging chads” and other ballot irregularities during the 2000 presidential recount. The department, which oversees elections, had sent two monitors to observe Tuesday’s vote in Broward as the result of a lawsuit over the mishandling of ballots in a 2016 congressional race.

A spokeswoman for the department, Sarah Revell, said the observers were sent to “monitor the administration of the election, including visiting polling locations throughout the day as needed and observing preparation of the voting equipment and procedures for the election.” The monitors have continued to watch the vote-counting this past week.

Republicans have been sharply critical of Brenda Snipes, supervisor of elections in Broward, blaming her for the slow pace of counting ballots and citing previous problems with voting under her watch.

In a brief interview, Snipes brushed off the criticism. “It’s kind of like a hurricane, where things get really stirred up for a while and then it passes,” she said. “I don’t know when this will pass, but it will.”

On Thursday, the governor called for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to investigate the voting in South Florida — a probe the agency has so far declined to begin because the Department of State has not presented any allegations of fraud.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        I'm just baffled by what you consider the differing definitions in "legal" votes actually is. I don't think that anyone is alleging that thousands of corpses in Broward cemeteries voted, and I don't see the GOP alleging that sort of behavior either. Good article in WaPo (yes, I know, liberal) about how impartial observers were actually in place on election day.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.a58548eb30f6
        I’m a subscriber to WaPo. I know, right? What self absorbed “Trump supporter” would own up to that! Yes, it leans liberal but I think it’s largely fair. I have a work subscription to Wall Street Journal to balance liberalness of WaPo. And Don’t be baffled, this conversation with DMT went way off the rails early on. What is going on in Arizona, Georgia, and Florida isn’t giving much confidence to the nation much less the voters in those states.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          Deleted long reply. Never mind. Moving on. Carry on with the outrage.
          thats too bad, I think I saw it and it was a solid post.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Steve King is a POS. I was really hoping he'd lose, although I knew it was a long shot.
            me too.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

He's too busy admiring himself hovering above the rest of us partisan hacks.
              Jesus Brewer

Comment

They were talking about voter suppression in GA well before the election. And it's ok because it's transpired over six years? Look at the racial discrepancies in voters purged or I suppose those numbers are made up by Democrats as well?
                this woman was given 5 years in jail for voting when she didn't know she had lost her so-called right to vote. https://www.essence.com/news/crystal...lly-10-months/
                When Mason showed up at the polling station, she says that her name was not on the voter role. Instead, she was granted a provisional ballot, for which she had to sign an affidavit that included a requirement that she was not.

According to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Mason said she did not carefully read the form because an election official was helping her.
                question is would she have been sent to jail if she was white? heck they should just save time and ask people in court if they are republican or democrat. makes me wonder if black people get sent to jail more easily because they would presumably vote democrat.

Comment

• I'm simply loving the ass-kickings these Florida counties are getting in court. It won't matter in the long term, but at least they're being exposed for the utter wastrels and frauds they are.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Saw this on CNN.com:

- in 2012, the difference between white women voting Republican over Democrat in the House was 14%
                    - in 2014, that difference was also 14%
                    - in 2016, that difference was 12%
                    - in 2018, the difference was 0%

That's a 14-point drop from just 6 years ago, and 12-pt drop from just 2 years ago. Thanks Donald!!

Comment

• For all of those foolishly buying into Trump's bs about Arizona's elections being corrupted:

Democratic Rep. Kyrsten Sinema’s lead over Republican Rep. Martha McSally in Arizona’s Senate race grew Sunday as some GOP figures continued to distance themselves from President Donald Trump’s claims of misconduct.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• There is absolutely NO proof whatsoever that anything like this is happening, or has happened. This asshole is going further and further into areas where he has no business going.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

There is absolutely NO proof whatsoever that anything like this is happening, or has happened. This asshole is going further and further into areas where he has no business going.
                          When has Trump ever needed proof to say anything? He has ZERO credibility with anyone who has any standards at all. Absolutely nothing he has can be trusted by any critical thinker. Of course, that does not stop his followers from taking anything he says at face value, without any supporting evidence.

Comment

There is absolutely NO proof whatsoever that anything like this is happening, or has happened. This asshole is going further and further into areas where he has no business going.
                            Well, we’ll see. Scott’s latest lawsuit certainly alleges just that, and even left-leaning Politico states “Then, in the dead of night, the office suddenly uploaded tens of thousands of new ballots in the Democratic-heavy county, causing Scott’s margins statewide to fall so far that it triggered a recount, with his margin in the race against Sen. Bill Nelson falling below a half percent”

Article here: https://www.politico.com/states/flor...esantis-691675

Of course, what I suspect will happen is she’ll just destroy all the ballots, just as she did in 2016.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• It has inched under 13K in the Senate race, but unless there was a machine error in Broward which remains possible that gap is not being closed by 13K with a hand count. Gillum is down over 33K and with no weird vote distribution out there his gap isn't being closed in any situation.

Sinema now leads by over 31K which is 49.6 - 48.1 I know they will be really slow to call this, but it is over. In a crazier result the AZ secretary of state race was called on election night, but just last night the person who was losing took the lead. Anyway it was called for Gaynor and he has moved back into the lead since last night, but it is razor close as these votes come in. 1,111 votes right now.

Nothing new yet with house votes the called races on the official news sits seems to be stuck at 227-198. I think we are closer to 230-200 right now and those last 5 I think we wind up at either 235-200, 234-201, or 233-202 I don't think it will break worse than that for Democrats. Also Nate Silver had an interesting twitter thread about how previously called CA-21 might not be as certain as that. It's still over 2K vote, but it was an interesting read if anyone wants to.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                Well, we’ll see. Scott’s latest lawsuit certainly alleges just that, and even left-leaning Politico states “Then, in the dead of night, the office suddenly uploaded tens of thousands of new ballots in the Democratic-heavy county, causing Scott’s margins statewide to fall so far that it triggered a recount, with his margin in the race against Sen. Bill Nelson falling below a half percent”

Article here: https://www.politico.com/states/flor...esantis-691675

Of course, what I suspect will happen is she’ll just destroy all the ballots, just as she did in 2016.

Again, there is NO evidence at all that there has been tampering with ballots and the Florida department of Law Enforcement has found zero evidence of a crime. And the only one that's alleging anything of the sort is Scott and that spineless wimp, Marco Rubio. In the article that you linked was this little gem:

In a response to Scott’s lawsuit, the Broward County canvassing board blamed the delay on Scott’s attorneys because they objected so much to the canvassing process before the deadline. The reply also says that, if Scott wants to contest the election, he can do so at a later date and that Scott “has invented a false deadline for completing canvass of ballots where none in fact exists. The first unofficial results are just that — i.e., unofficial.”

The ultimate irony is that the Broward County ballot design approved by Snipes might have cost Nelson — not Scott — tens of thousands of votes. The race was tucked in the lower left-hand corner of the ballot, just under the instructions, and many voters appear to have missed it. Indeed, for the first time ever, the top-of-the-ticket Senate race received fewer votes than all of the other down-ballot statewide matches, including the contest for agriculture commissioner, which is also headed to a recount.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X