NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DMT View Post
    Of course it's not ok, but my point is that exploitation of cheap labor fuels the entire global capitalist system. Singling Nike out for that in this discussion makes little sense to me.
    And my point is that a company with a decades long history of using child labor to make obscene profits shouldn’t really be held up as a moral beacon of social justice. You’ve seen KD and LeBron,s IG today, right? Nike is business designed to make money. Period. Full stop. This Kaepernick campaign by Nike is just another means to that end.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      That said it is a far leap to accuse someone that does not want to kneel as being pro systemic racism and the extrajudicial killing of minorities by police. That is just as silly.
      Like DMT, I agree, but that was not what Heyelander was saying.

And I agree with Ken as well. My mom, to use an example, is sided with the players but, as she's the child of an American soldier killed in WWII, hates the fact they're protesting the anthem.

Comment

That said it is a far leap to accuse someone that does not want to kneel as being pro systemic racism and the extrajudicial killing of minorities by police. That is just as silly.
        It's a leap from people who don't want to kneel to people who don't want other people to kneel and take personal offense to it when it really isn't about them.
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Not really. First, that guy isn't an NFL player. Second, he's not just choosing not to protest, he's actively opposing Nike's decision to hire Kaepernick by boycotting the company and destroying his socks.
          read also post #43.

Now regarding boycotting Nike because of Kaepernick, If one thinks that the National Anthem is not the place for the protest, is it wrong to protest against those that do?

Just a fun FYI ( directed at DMT individually):

The Flag Code is U.S. federal law, there is no penalty for a private citizen or group failing to comply with the Flag Code and it is not widely enforced—indeed, punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.[86] Passage of the proposed Flag Desecration Amendment would overrule legal precedent that has been established.

Comment

Originally posted by nots View Post
            And my point is that a company with a decades long history of using child labor to make obscene profits shouldn’t really be held up as a moral beacon of social justice. You’ve seen KD and LeBron,s IG today, right? Nike is business designed to make money. Period. Full stop. This Kaepernick campaign by Nike is just another means to that end.
            Sorry I don't follow sports figures on IG, but I completely agree with the bolded points.
            If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
            - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

read also post #43.

Now regarding boycotting Nike because of Kaepernick, If one thinks that the National Anthem is not the place for the protest, is it wrong to protest against those that do?

Just a fun FYI ( directed at DMT individually):

The Flag Code is U.S. federal law, there is no penalty for a private citizen or group failing to comply with the Flag Code and it is not widely enforced—indeed, punitive enforcement would conflict with the First Amendment right to freedom of speech.[86] Passage of the proposed Flag Desecration Amendment would overrule legal precedent that has been established.
              He can do whatever he wants with his socks, I just don't think it makes sense to equate him with the players who choose not to kneel.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Comment

This is true, but I haven't seen any commentators making this argument.
                Oh but we have, haven't we? The military references are always aimed at the "anthem" part of the protest.

Mostly I just see them parroting Trump with their race-baiting BS. Please share any insightful articles you've read making this argument. How should we be protesting police violence? More directly? Not at all?
                No articles, just articulating my own opinions.

Comment

Sorry I don't follow sports figures on IG, but I completely agree with the bolded points.
                  Sorry to make another post, but I actually don't agree completely. You just said above that you think the Kaepernick ad-campaign is going to "be more or less revenue neutral." So surely there must be another reason besides just making money, no?
                  - Terence McKenna

Comment

Sorry to make another post, but I actually don't agree completely. You just said above that you think the Kaepernick ad-campaign is going to "be more or less revenue neutral." So surely there must be another reason besides just making money, no?
                    Revenue neutral to be sure but look at what we are all talking about today—not Under Armour and Adiddas, right? Brand awareness and PTI segments are worth something.
                    PS— Maybe I’m wrong on revenue neutral. Got 2500 shares of MUX that says I don’t bat 1.000

Comment

he can do what he likes, now I'm not going to listen to his band...

It would be great if people protested in ways that were simpler to ignore. It wouldn't be very effective, but it would be nice for the rest of us.

Comment

He can do whatever he wants with his socks, I just don't think it makes sense to equate him with the players who choose not to kneel.
                        Maybe I read it wrong. I took his statement as anyone who disagrees with the protest is pro what is being protested.

Comment

Maybe I read it wrong. I took his statement as anyone who disagrees with the protest is pro what is being protested.
                          I don't understand how the national anthem is about the military. How is this a personal attack on this dude? Why is he making it one? Why is he ignoring the actual reason people are doing this and making it about him? I think it's a false equivalency that protesters are anti-military, so maybe it's time that we start the false equivalence that the military is pro killing black people.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                            But, the same flag that represents our country and constitution during the National anthem also represents our soldiers. So, i can understand how the military would feel slighted by the protests. I don't think that the African American players who protest the National anthem mean any disrespect to the soldiers. But, it is also impossible to separate the military from the American flag as these protests seem to be trying to do. It's like trying to protest the stripes of the flag but not the stars.
                            I wonder if citizens of all countries see their militaries and their flag as inseparable ?
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              I don't understand how the national anthem is about the military.
                              Specifically, the Department of Defense has had a contract with professional sports franchises as part of it's marketing budget. This included booths at stadiums as well as on field performance of the national anthem.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                I don't understand how the national anthem is about the military. How is this a personal attack on this dude? Why is he making it one? Why is he ignoring the actual reason people are doing this and making it about him? I think it's a false equivalency that protesters are anti-military, so maybe it's time that we start the false equivalence that the military is pro killing black people.
                                The Anthem and Flag signify the hard fought and won freedom that is our country. The military is the main protector past present and future of those freedoms. I don't see how you cannot see a connection.

I protested the Vietnam War. I felt bad for those drafted and didn't agree with those that enlisted. I never disrespected the men who went there.

I am going to write off your last statement as you have a bad day as well as are emotionally charged. This doesn't sound like the man I have known in here.

Comment

Working...
                                X