NFL teams and the National Anthem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    This being Nike, I'm sure they engaged in significant market research before launching this campaign and are convinced that the goodwill it buys them with the black community, youth and liberal/progressives will more than counter any blowback/boycott from conservatives.
    Yep. They know how to print money.

I recently was surprised to hear that a few of my right winged acquaintances were giving up watching Pro Football because of the Anthem controversy. Not me! Maybe I am too shallow. I just don't care. Do I have an opinion? Yep. I am not missing football if someone/anyone disagrees with it.

Go Bears!!

Comment

Losers in the anthem controversy:
      - NFL
      - Trump
      - players
      - fans

maybe Nike is jealous.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        Here's one reaction from country musician John Rich:

"Our Soundman just cut the Nike swoosh off his socks. Former marine. Get ready @Nike multiply that by the millions."
        So marines are pro-extrajudicial killing of black people by cops?
        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Should the opinions of Veterans matter more than the opinions of non-Vets on these kinds of issues? Or any issues?
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            Should the opinions of Veterans matter more than the opinions of non-Vets on these kinds of issues? Or any issues?
            their opinions on the extrajudicial killing of black people by cops? no.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Yep. They know how to print money.

I recently was surprised to hear that a few of my right winged acquaintances were giving up watching Pro Football because of the Anthem controversy. Not me! Maybe I am too shallow. I just don't care. Do I have an opinion? Yep. I am not missing football if someone/anyone disagrees with it.

Go Bears!!
              I gave up watching NFL because I could no longer enjoy watching men destroy each other's brains.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

On the state of the military and veterans' services, yes, but that's about it IMO.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                  So marines are pro-extrajudicial killing of black people by cops?
                  What?? You took this from a guy cutting swoosh off his socks?

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    I gave up watching NFL because I could no longer enjoy watching men destroy each other's brains.
                    This was one of my reasons too. And the fact that they won't admit it. At least be honest and say, "yeah i want to destroy that dude and end his career with a monster hit".
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Apparently he took protests about systemic racism and the extrajudicial killing of minorities by police as disrespecting his service to the country, so... I think his ignoring the substance of the protests and people's right to protest at all to get personally butt-hurt, equates to being fine with the killing.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        that's where I am as well. The hits that use to be exciting now are cringe-worthy.

How institutions of higher-learning can justify continuing the sport is beyond me.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                          that's where I am as well. The hits that use to be exciting now are cringe-worthy.

How institutions of higher-learning can justify continuing the sport is beyond me.
                          You know why.......$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$

Comment

This was one of my reasons too. And the fact that they won't admit it. At least be honest and say, "yeah i want to destroy that dude and end his career with a monster hit".
                            So these guys are getting paid up to millions a year - and they know what they are signing on for at this point. I dont think that the players necessarily want to destroy someone's career, but I do believe that they realize playing at full speed will cause some of these monster hits. The corporate NFL on the other hand is doing all they can to try and keep the game as "safe" as they can. At least where QB's and WR are concerned.

Some of these "unnecessary roughness" penalties that have been called this pre-season are really awful and actually are making the game almost unwatchable.
                            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

But that's what the entire protest is about, and it's going over right wingers heads. Anyone who thinks they're protesting the anthem is just silly.

Comment

Nike stock down more than 2.5% today.
                                "Looks like I picked a bad day to give up sniffing glue.
                                - Steven McCrosky (Lloyd Bridges) in Airplane

i have epiphanies like that all the time. for example i was watching a basketball game today and realized pom poms are like a pair of tits. there's 2 of them. they're round. they shake. women play with them. thus instead of having two, cheerleaders have four boobs.
                                - nullnor, speaking on immigration law in AZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X