X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• At family events my relatives sang both
    God bless America and
    All of the verses to This Land is your Land

And some Pete Seeger thrown in for good measure.

I had red diaper baby relatives.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      Just to be clear, I have no angst over this. I am sad about police brutality. I am not going to stop watching football games. I am not going to start buying Nike.

I am grateful for the Country I live in and the men who defend it.

I entered into this conversation without expecting to change anyone's opinion. I don't need mine changed.

Policemen are to be our trusted protectors. They have a hard job to do that is getting harder. It is thankless. That said there is no excuse for brutality or prejudice. They must be held accountable.

Have some protests worked over the years? Yes. Do I think this one is working? Not so much.

Do I think the NFL handled it well? Nope.
      Good post.

I do think the idea that "anthem = flag = military" is a false equivalence that has been promoted to cloud the issue.
      If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• So to sum up the last several pages, all of us would like to see a reduction in brutality and racial bias in policing. All of us respect police officers and service members. So why are so many of us letting the partisan framing of these issues divide us and drive us to rancor?

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          well, Woody was a Communist - and I'm not saying that pejoratively. if he was alive, you could ask him.
          many have not heard the full song, ever. here's the "missing" part - if you think Trump is unhinged NOW, just try having fans sing THIS at games

I roamed and rambled and followed my footsteps
          To the sparkling sands of her diamond deserts,
          And all around me, a voice was sounding:
          God blessed America for me.
          This land was made for you and me.

Was a high wall there that tried to stop me
          A sign was painted said: Private Property,
          But on the back side it didn't say nothing —
          God blessed America for me.
          This land was made for you and me.
          In February 1940 he wrote his most famous song, "This Land Is Your Land", as a response to what he felt was an overplaying of Irving Berlin's "God Bless America" on the radio. Guthrie thought the lyrics were unrealistic and complacent.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            So to sum up the last several pages, all of us would like to see a reduction in brutality and racial bias in policing. All of us respect police officers and service members. So why are so many of us letting the partisan framing of these issues divide us and drive us to rancor?
            If by this statement you are strictly referring to this Board, then i don't see a lot of rancor, just some good discussion.

If by this statement you are referring to the general populace, then it all comes down to race.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              If by this statement you are strictly referring to this Board, then i don't see a lot of rancor, just some good discussion.

If by this statement you are referring to the general populace, then it all comes down to racism.
              Fixed.
              If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
              - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• fuck the NFL and the owners specifically
                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• Sorry, righties:

"After an initial dip immediately after the news broke, Nike’s NKE, -0.12% online sales actually grew 31% from the Sunday of Labor Day weekend through Tuesday, as compared with a 17% gain recorded for the same period of 2017, according to San Francisco–based Edison Trends.

“There was speculation that the Nike/Kaepernick campaign would lead to a drop in sales, but our data over the last week does not support that theory,” said Hetal Pandya, co-founder of Edison Trends."

Comment

• I still cant believe that people fall for this shit.......
                    It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                    Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                      I still cant believe that people fall for this shit.......
                      well, there's a trillion dollar marketing industry that's saying, here, hold my beer (and while you're at it, pay me for it ... )
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Tastes Great ..... Less Filling
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                          Tastes Great ..... Less Filling
                          Left field sucks!
                          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                            Sorry, righties:

"After an initial dip immediately after the news broke, Nike’s NKE, -0.12% online sales actually grew 31% from the Sunday of Labor Day weekend through Tuesday, as compared with a 17% gain recorded for the same period of 2017, according to San Francisco–based Edison Trends.

“There was speculation that the Nike/Kaepernick campaign would lead to a drop in sales, but our data over the last week does not support that theory,” said Hetal Pandya, co-founder of Edison Trends."
                            https://www.marketwatch.com/story/ni...me_top_stories
                            It'll be interesting to see if this holds true longer term. The concept of "Get woke, go broke" is one often discussed in many industries. If anyone can break that paradigm, I'd bet on Nike.
                            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                              It'll be interesting to see if this holds true longer term. The concept of "Get woke, go broke" is one often discussed in many industries. If anyone can break that paradigm, I'd bet on Nike.
                              And NKE stock has already recovered all it's ad/tweet induced losses, and then some, LOL.

I have mostly conservative clients and met with one couple last week. In my discussion about value stocks, I mentioned NKE and the wife was like "I will never buy Nike."

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                                Left field sucks!
                                This Cubs fan appreciates this.

Comment

Working...
                                X