Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
    Here is an example.... Bill Clinton's State of the Union address sounds amazingly like what Trump is proposing.
    protest! Burn stuff!!!
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Here is an example.... Bill Clinton's State of the Union address sounds amazingly like what Trump is proposing.

Obama deported more people than any previous President. Next.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

The only issues that stand out to me in terms of Dems shifting to the left are related to LGBTQ acceptance and rights, and I think that is related to a generational shift in acceptance of sexuality outside of traditional hetero-normative boxes. It is a relatively sudden shift (it has moved much faster than civil rights for African-Americans did), I think, primarily because of the internet and social media. Social change moves faster these days, and makes it all the more sudden and disturbing to those born and raised with a different mindset for what is acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          Obama deported more people than any previous President. Next.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/obama...ry?id=41715661
          BG's point is that Clinton 1995 sounds more like Trump than democrats today. Obama mostly only deported criminals, if you watch the video of Clinton, he's not just talking about criminals.
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
            BG's point is that Clinton 1995 sounds more like Trump than democrats today. Obama mostly only deported criminals, if you watch the video of Clinton, he's not just talking about criminals.

Oh and to clarify Obama changed the definition of "deportation" to include turning away immigrants at the border. So yes, he is "Mr. Deportation" but its a somewhat loaded number.

And to CB's point. You asked how have the Dems lurched to the left. Seems pretty clear that former Dem President Bill Clinton - the guy that the Dems love as much as Republicans love Reagan - was speaking to the problem of ILLEGAL Immigration and its impacts. (not undocumented immigrants). Given that now if you want immigration control and enforcement you must be a fucking racist. The Dems best President must therefore have been a racist in 1995.
            It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
            Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

Oh and to clarify Obama changed the definition of "deportation" to include turning away immigrants at the border. So yes, he is "Mr. Deportation" but its a somewhat loaded number.

And to CB's point. You asked how have the Dems lurched to the left. Seems pretty clear that former Dem President Bill Clinton - the guy that the Dems love as much as Republicans love Reagan - was speaking to the problem of ILLEGAL Immigration and its impacts. (not undocumented immigrants). Given that now if you want immigration control and enforcement you must be a fucking racist. The Dems best President must therefore have been a racist in 1995.
              stop being so logical

Comment

I could also post speeches of Reagan to show how far the Republicans have veered right. Actions and words are two entirely different things.
                If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                  I could also post speeches of Reagan to show how far the Republicans have veered right. Actions and words are two entirely different things.
                  Dude - I am not arguing if the they have moved Left or Right. You specifically asked for an example of how the Left has lurched further Left. All I am doing is providing you an example. So why is it you now are deflecting to show what the Right has done. Please remember - I am not either Dem or Rep and have not voted for either party for now 4 cycles....

If your butthurt that you dont like the example that I provided - tough shit. You asked for an example and there you go.
                  It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

How many conservative posters here, who defend the GOP relentlessly, will admit to being Republican?
                    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

So when Bill says in 1995 they are moving aggressively to secure border by hiring a record number of border guards. That sounds like action to me...

By deporting twice as many aliens as ever before - Yup that is an action.
                      Cracking down on illegal hiring - Policy in action
                      Barring Welfare to illegal immigrants - Another Policy in action

Then he proposed other actions - that could have been words and could have resulted in action..

Then he recaps his position with:

"It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it. " Bill Clinton 1995 – State of the Union Address

But they are just words. Not that he meant any of it back then. Damn racist bastard that Pres. Clinton - I mean really who could have even considered voting for him. Everyone that voted for him must have been a racist and many of them had to have been misogynists given their support for a guy that "did not have sexual realtions with that woman".

Oh wait - there is another lurch to the left....

Comment

Im not a conservative - Im just not as liberal as you.

Comment

I dont believe democrats have any room to undergo another lurch to the left and if they do, they will be less relevant than they are today. As 2010 - 2016 showed, the electorate isnt as far left as you'd like to think they are.
                          What are you referring to? Trump got 46% of the popular vote, three million less than Hillary. Racial and partisan redistricting in the states helped the GOP rack up many of the large gains, for which they are being taken to court and losing.

What is the electorate saying?

I'm not an expert on the GOP, but it seems they need to start worrying about their own seats, with all the discontent their Party leader is stirring up. When you look at these town meetings, it isn't young people or black people. It's white women. They voted for Trump in 2016, but they can start swinging elections the other way.
                          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

I dont believe democrats have any room to undergo another lurch to the left and if they do, they will be less relevant than they are today. As 2010 - 2016 showed, the electorate isnt as far left as you'd like to think they are.
                            DMT and I keep asking you to explain this lurch to the left...and you keep evading. I've finally tired of asking so I guess you win.

And I have no idea what makes you think I believe or like to think the electorate is far left.
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                            ---------------------------------------------
                            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

So when Bill says in 1995 they are moving aggressively to secure border by hiring a record number of border guards. That sounds like action to me...

By deporting twice as many aliens as ever before - Yup that is an action.
                              Cracking down on illegal hiring - Policy in action
                              Barring Welfare to illegal immigrants - Another Policy in action
                              If Trump did/said these things today, it would clearly be racist.

Comment

Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                                What are you referring to? Trump got 46% of the popular vote, three million less than Hillary. Racial and partisan redistricting in the states helped the GOP rack up many of the large gains, for which they are being taken to court and losing.

What is the electorate saying?

I'm not an expert on the GOP, but it seems they need to start worrying about their own seats, with all the discontent their Party leader is stirring up. When you look at these town meetings, it isn't young people or black people. It's white women. They voted for Trump in 2016, but they can start swinging elections the other way.
                                They also hold 34 governorships and have held the Senate thru 3 cycles now so its not all racism and partisan redistricting either

Comment

Working...
                                X