Democratic Party 2017 and beyond

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    I agree 100%, there needs to be someone who can bridge the gap between the branches of the party. I think that person is out there, just not the face of the future quite yet. Obama was making noises in 2006, but wasn't thought to be "the man" quite then, IIRC, so that person still has time. I just don't think that they can continue to trot out the same old faces and hope to win. The GOP is soulless, but they know how to win elections. And frankly that's the only litmus test that counts these days.

I think that Perez and Ellison can come up with a plan, hopefully soon, so they don't blow the 2018 mid terms as well...

IMO, the Centrists need SOME of the progressives, but not all of them. So the shifting of the party to the left has to continue, but not a major lurch that'll scare us old folks off.
    What do you think of Franken? He's becoming somewhat interesting to me for many reasons and seems to be a good blend of both sects. I also like that he takes it to the bullshit spewers in politics.

BTW, is Elison really even relevant in the DNC? I haven't heard anything about him shifting platform to the left in fact I haven't heard anything about him recently.

I agree if the DNC can move just a bit to the left they'd gain important support, but (and I know there's a better chance of Trump releasing his Tax returns) If the DNC and it's core could just admit and apologize for the Primary, they'd garner support as well...but, well..you know.

Now that the special elections are over, we'll see what's up pretty quick as the 2018 midterms are right around the corner and they MUST win the Senate back or this National Nightmare will continue to haunt our dreams.
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
      What do you think of Franken? He's becoming somewhat interesting to me for many reasons and seems to be a good blend of both sects. I also like that he takes it to the bullshit spewers in politics.

BTW, is Elison really even relevant in the DNC? I haven't heard anything about him shifting platform to the left in fact I haven't heard anything about him recently.

I agree if the DNC can move just a bit to the left they'd gain important support, but (and I know there's a better chance of Trump releasing his Tax returns) If the DNC and it's core could just admit and apologize for the Primary, they'd garner support as well...but, well..you know.

Now that the special elections are over, we'll see what's up pretty quick as the 2018 midterms are right around the corner and they MUST win the Senate back or this National Nightmare will continue to haunt our dreams.
      Franken is a smart, smart guy, and a far better senator than I'd ever hoped that he'd be. But he's just got so much baggage from his days as a comedian, and a talk show host, that I think that he's pretty much unelectable nationally. Honestly, I hope that he remains as a Senator, and gains some seniority so he can do more.

Ellison is relevant as a politician, and as a figurehead for the DNC. They need a guy like him to appeal to the less centrist figures of the party, but they MUST start using him more in the right spots.

The DNC is never going to apologize, and the HRC faction is losing power...so there's hope in those two somewhat contradictory thoughts.

Not likely to win the Senate back in 2018, but hopefully in 2020...
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Franken is a smart, smart guy, and a far better senator than I'd ever hoped that he'd be. But he's just got so much baggage from his days as a comedian, and a talk show host, that I think that he's pretty much unelectable nationally. Honestly, I hope that he remains as a Senator, and gains some seniority so he can do more.

Ellison is relevant as a politician, and as a figurehead for the DNC. They need a guy like him to appeal to the less centrist figures of the party, but they MUST start using him more in the right spots.

The DNC is never going to apologize, and the HRC faction is losing power...so there's hope in those two somewhat contradictory thoughts.

Not likely to win the Senate back in 2018, but hopefully in 2020...
        You're probably right, but I just don;t get this logic.

Franken was a comic decades ago and his comedy makes him a liability? either he's good at what he does NOW and possibly even better down the line or he's not. Trump got elected and his past has more color than a fresca dosed with LSD.

WE, as a movement., need to get away from discounting anyone with potential because of potential unelectability--It's killing us.

I can't think of one thing Ellison has done since the DNC Election or did I miss something?

I know there will never be any kind of contrition or even admission (though the DNC Lawyers pretty much confirmed what we've discussed ad nauseum), but without one or the party moving left I think there's little room for compromise. I wish it was different and maybe it will be, hopefully, but I just can't see it.

Oh well.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• I am no one's Democrat, but I have to wonder where the new blood is hiding. Everyone is older than Reagan was.

The name of the moment appears to be Pelosi, who is 77. Harry Reid retired at the same age. Schumer, his replacement, is only 66 but Dick Durbin is 72. Behind Pelosi is Steny "WTF" Hoyer, 78. Steve Scalise was shot on a baseball field, in part because at 51 he can still play. Ted Cruz and Marco Rubio are 46. What Democrat has made waves and is in his/her 40s?

J
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Kamala Harris
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

• my local guy - Cory Booker is 48

Adam Schiff is 59

As far as Al Franken - I just dont think that enough people nationwide would support a jewish comedian

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                Kamala Harris
                the top of her wikipedia page

This article is about the U.S. Senator. For the professional wrestler Jim "Kamala" Harris, see Kamala (wrestler).

Comment

• Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                  Kamala Harris
                  Wow. That is stunning in more ways than one.

Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                  my local guy - Cory Booker is 48

Adam Schiff is 59

As far as Al Franken - I just dont think that enough people nationwide would support a jewish comedian
                  Schiff is at least a reasonable age for the next generation, but he's not a young mover. If Booker is the best you have, that is not a good thing.

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

Again, I think this is flawed thinking, but something many mainstream Dems seem to subscribe to.

Trump won and who'd have thought a guy with his history could even be a candidate? The Governator won, Jesse Ventura and others deemed unelectable have won.

Al Franken was a Jewish comedian when he ran for congress the first time wasn't he?

I believe we on the left have a tendency to overthink stuff, we outthink ourselves at times. It's no longer an age where what you did or who you were 20+ years ago is relevant outside of soundbite fodder. (with some obvious exceptions)

I'm not saying I think Franken is the guy, nor that I'd support a run by him--I'm just saying it's time we stopped crossing potential candidates off the list because of electability.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• There are plenty of younger Democrats out there, Booker, as already mentioned, Any Klobuchar, Chris Murphy, Governor Hickenlooper from Colorado, a dark horse that I really am impressed by, Deval Patrick from Massachusetts...

No shortage of younger Dems to capture the flag long before campaign season.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

• I remember when GOP was laughing that some freshman Senator from Illinois being our best chance at winning the Presidency. And of course, when we all laughed at the possibility at a real estate investor from New York winning. We are political eons from the next presidential election.
                        “Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.”
                        -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post

he's good enough, he's smart enough, and doggone it people like him
                          --------------------------------------
                          You know a girl in a hat is just so…vogue.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hi.I'm.Mandy View Post
                            he's good enough, he's smart enough, and doggone it people like him
                            I dont.
                            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• I have been impressed with Franken's willingness to suppress his glib tendencies in order to do a better job. He does not come across as a comedian playing a politician, which is the natural expectation. Still, it would be a long hill to climb because of his very public past.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                                I have been impressed with Franken's willingness to suppress his glib tendencies in order to do a better job. He does not come across as a comedian playing a politician, which is the natural expectation. Still, it would be a long hill to climb because of his very public past.

J

Yeah because a shitty public past can prevent you from becoming POTUS.............or not.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                                X