This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
    Not answering for Swampy, but to me, the crowing about how well he did in the election (hint, he didn't, he won, but barely) was totally unnecessary if the question was about the rise in anti-semitism. Other than that, meh, he could have come out a lot stronger against the rise in hate crimes, but as you said, he's not necessarily an eloquent speaker. He simply has to let the election results go, he won, end of story.

So far as his eloquence, Trump told us again and again that he is a very smart person with the best words, so I think we should hold him to that standard.
    If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Not answering for Swampy, but to me, the crowing about how well he did in the election (hint, he didn't, he won, but barely) was totally unnecessary if the question was about the rise in anti-semitism. Other than that, meh, he could have come out a lot stronger against the rise in hate crimes, but as you said, he's not necessarily an eloquent speaker. He simply has to let the election results go, he won, end of story.
      On this we can agree.

This is a "Duh" statement, but He has a really bad habit of diverting and changing the subject to suit his narrative, which is usually whatever pops into his head first. Big victory, voter fraud, leaks. Hillary lost, etc.

Someone has go to him and say, for thelove and God and country, I'm going to help you! He needs a mentor of the highest order, someone who's an elder statesman, like Kissinger or even Romney (or heaven forbid even Obama, who would have to swallow hard but could probably help). But he'll never stand for anyone giving hard advice.
      I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
        So far as his eloquence, Trump told us again and again that he is a very smart person with the best words, so I think we should hold him to that standard.
        Not say'n you're wrong! We are what we eat. And he's full of something.
        I know in my heart that man is good. That what is right will always eventually triumph and there is purpose and worth to each and every life.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• Originally posted by Bernie Brewer View Post
          Not say'n you're wrong! We are what we eat. And he's full of something.
          Serious question here...what do you think is really the deal? I can understand the idea of "plain talk" when you are campaigning in the heartland. But now that he is President, and appearing with other world leaders, I would expect him to be a much better speaker. I do not expect Obama-quality oratory, but there are some things you would expect of anyone in his position. Grasp of the subject matter; command of vocabulary; at least a college level use of sentence structure...not to mention those extras like a display of humility.

He doesn't use computers, doesn't use emails. He's obsessed with television, and there is no indication that he is a reader. All of this is unusual for a President. One writer suggested that his vocabulary is somewhere around 200 words. I do know that he uses the same words over and over, and that he seems to have a limited range, but I never counted them up. Wonderful, incredible, huge, sad, disaster, horrible, big-time, big league, bigly, loser, terrible, stupid, weak, dishonest, very, pathetic, overrated, fake, poll, media...that's only 21. I have my favorite words too, I suppose, but I don't think I use so few so often.

I'll agree with the posters that he is not eloquent. But is there anyone on this board who hasn't wondered why he seems so nowhere-close-to-eloquent when he speaks? How many other billionaires do we know who stumble along like that?
          If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them. - Karl Popper

Comment

• Conway could be gone by Presidents day

Comment

• I am sure Trump has a usable vocabulary in excess of 200 words, my mother in law has some kind of big freaky bird with more command of the language than that. But the President has been pegged based on his speech pattern, on this ride from election and time in office, and all his glorious tweets, to have a sub 6th grade level grammar. Not meant as a hyperbolic shot, in all seriousness that is the level of command of language he has demonstrated.

The guy crows about how smart he is, and how he uses the best words, but it seems clear our country has someone in highest office who does not grasp the very basics, such as it is not wise to reflex tweet over every perceived slight he is subject to, from a Broadway play or SNL skit. His pathological lying is I suspect not from him trying to be deceptive, but simply being so dense and dull witted as to be the best that we can expect.
              Last edited by gcstomp; 02-16-2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

• Trump does have a charm, a type of charisma that holds peoples attention, and allowed him to muster crowds in the election, and win at the polls. He had high ratings on a tv show for years. He has a form of brilliance, in the PT Barnum mold. The ability to sway the hearts of people is a powerful and rare gift, so who needs them stinking words, anyhoo.

Comment

• me know many big words

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago
                  More
                  The spotlight has finally been put on the low-life leakers! They will be caught!

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                    me know many big words

Donald J. Trump ‏@realDonaldTrump 1h1 hour ago
                    More
                    The spotlight has finally been put on the low-life leakers! They will be caught!
                    The previous tweet contained another of his usual demands for an apology, this one from the "failing" NYT. Is that emotionally mature for a grown man? How many apologies has he demanded in the last year?

Comment

• Originally posted by Redbirds Fan View Post
                      Serious question here...what do you think is really the deal? I can understand the idea of "plain talk" when you are campaigning in the heartland. But now that he is President, and appearing with other world leaders, I would expect him to be a much better speaker. I do not expect Obama-quality oratory, but there are some things you would expect of anyone in his position. Grasp of the subject matter; command of vocabulary; at least a college level use of sentence structure...not to mention those extras like a display of humility.

He doesn't use computers, doesn't use emails. He's obsessed with television, and there is no indication that he is a reader. All of this is unusual for a President. One writer suggested that his vocabulary is somewhere around 200 words. I do know that he uses the same words over and over, and that he seems to have a limited range, but I never counted them up. Wonderful, incredible, huge, sad, disaster, horrible, big-time, big league, bigly, loser, terrible, stupid, weak, dishonest, very, pathetic, overrated, fake, poll, media...that's only 21. I have my favorite words too, I suppose, but I don't think I use so few so often.

I'll agree with the posters that he is not eloquent. But is there anyone on this board who hasn't wondered why he seems so nowhere-close-to-eloquent when he speaks? How many other billionaires do we know who stumble along like that?
                      Well, understand that this is just my opinion, one which isn't based on much other what I have seen and heard.

He seems kind of rough, as in "blue collar guys who work with their hands and backs" rough, and tough. He was borne from wealth but not old world, old money, traditional wealth. He was borne from a real estate wealth, construction real estate wealth, property management, kick out and evict people who don't pay rent, building things wealth. He has essentially worked in the trades, in a fashion, for his entire career and he has adapted to that environment. So, in fact, his plain speaking style is likely borne of that life experience. You don't need eloquence when yelling at the drywallers, or plumber who forget to follow blueprints. Now, that doesn't mean everyone in the trades is un- or undereducated. Their are many, many tradesmen that have engineering, architectural or construction management degrees. I'd be willing to bet there are many more than few with degrees in the humanities and arts, just because. I think he probably is very intellengent but not everyone is cut out for public speaking. He probably does have the "smartest words" as he did go to Wharton, but he has spent a lifetime not using them. Traditional policitians have learned the public speaking craft by years of practice and interaction with voters through every level of engagement. For example, take Obama, arguably the most eloquent speaking President of our lifetimes. No one reasonable would argue his intelligence. He obtained a law degree, became a community activist and the a professor, speaking to classrooms and community groups, then a local politician, then a state Senator, a US Senator, the President. Overtime he learned how to communicate and connect with his audience by modulating to their levels. Each audience was different, different education levels, different social and cultural experiences. He knew how to engage each audience. He became a true politician (not meant in the swear word we hear today regarding elected officials, mind you).

Trump has been his own man for his entire lifetime, never really beholding to anyone and he didn't learned to modulate his tone or temperament. Raw and unpolished, he is who his is. And he's a narcissist, so that doesn't hlep.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Well, understand that this is just my opinion, one which isn't based on much other what I have seen and heard.

He seems kind of rough, as in "blue collar guys who work with their hands and backs" rough, and tough. .... You don't need eloquence when yelling at the drywallers, or plumber who forget to follow blueprints. ..... I think he probably is very intellengent but not everyone is cut out for public speaking. He probably does have the "smartest words" as he did go to Wharton, but he has spent a lifetime not using them. Traditional policitians have learned the public speaking craft by years of practice and interaction with voters through every level of engagement. ....

Trump has been his own man for his entire lifetime, never really beholding to anyone and he didn't learned to modulate his tone or temperament. Raw and unpolished, he is who his is. And he's a narcissist, so that doesn't hlep.
                        This is the stuff that actually got him elected - he speaks plain English without parsing his words - he just puts it out there. Whether you like it or not - his lack of PC is one of the things that drew people to him. There is a large segment of this society that are tired of the continued parsing of words for fear of offending this group or that group. He is an equal opportunity ripper and speaks the blue collar working mans language.
                        It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                        Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by baldgriff View Post
                          This is the stuff that actually got him elected - he speaks plain English without parsing his words - he just puts it out there. Whether you like it or not - his lack of PC is one of the things that drew people to him. There is a large segment of this society that are tired of the continued parsing of words for fear of offending this group or that group. He is an equal opportunity ripper and speaks the blue collar working mans language.
                          Indeed. It's how middle America speaks. For a guy who isn't middle America, he tapped into this and for the first time years, someone not only put political correctness aside, he ran over it with a Road grader, then backed over it, just to run over it one last time! But, middle Americans know right from wrong and he has a tenuous grasp in that, at best.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

• During the election, Trump scolded Obama for allowing Russian jets to buzz US ships without much of a response. In fact, he claimed because of this Obama was weak and was probably "off playing golf or something." Trump went so far as to say he would shoot down the planes if push came to shove.

Well Russian planes buzzed our ships again last week, and there was no response from Trump. Maybe he was too busy tweeting or something?

Comment

Indeed. It's how middle America speaks. For a guy who isn't middle America, he tapped into this and for the first time years, someone not only put political correctness aside, he ran over it with a Road grader, then backed over it, just to run over it one last time! But, middle Americans know right from wrong and he has a tenuous grasp in that, at best.
                              Do we really? The riot at UC Berkley - as a means of stopping a speaker from giving a presentation on a college campus.
                              The womens march - where pro life women gets spit on and told that they should be raped
                              Anti-Trump girl setting a girls hair on fire for wearing a Trump hat

We know more about right vs left, black vs white, women vs men, and in the new world of micro-aggressions it seems that it is becoming more normalized that if one disagrees with your political view it is fine to use a macro aggression to deal with the micro. Violence in the name of protecting ones political stance is all to often becoming acceptable.

So I ask again - do we really know right from wrong?
                              It is wrong and ultimately self-defeating for a nation of immigrants to permit the kind of abuse of our immigration laws we have seen in recent years and we must stop it.
                              Bill Clinton 1995, State of the Union Address

"When they go low - we go High" great motto - too bad it was a sack of bullshit. DNC election mantra

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                                During the election, Trump scolded Obama for allowing Russian jets to buzz US ships without much of a response. In fact, he claimed because of this Obama was weak and was probably "off playing golf or something." Trump went so far as to say he would shoot down the planes if push came to shove.

Well Russian planes buzzed our ships again last week, and there was no response from Trump. Maybe he was too busy tweeting or something?
                                Campaign rhetoric versus reality of the job. He sure has been silent on several Russian incursions or aggressive moves of late, like the cruiser off the coast of Delaware, the plane buzzes, and missile issue.

Ronald Reagan

Comment

Working...
                                X