Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "But the market is up 30% since he was elected!" say those who have zero dollars in the market.

Honestly, I'm up over 40% in my investments since he was elected.....so things could be a lot worse. Obviously you all know I hate the man with every ounce of my being (and that's a lotta ounces!), but at least this has happened.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      "But the market is up 30% since he was elected!" say those who have zero dollars in the market.

Honestly, I'm up over 40% in my investments since he was elected.....so things could be a lot worse. Obviously you all know I hate the man with every ounce of my being (and that's a lotta ounces!), but at least this has happened.
      Holy cow, I need to mimic your investment strategies. Is this all retirement money? I don't think any of my retirement fund options are up that high.

I assume you mean up 40% on equities, not your overall retirement portfolio, as most folks have bonds and such, but even if so, that is a very impressive rate of return, even in this market. Personally, I'm very tempted to shift some of my equities into money markets for awhile, as a correction has to be coming (honestly, I don't have much in retirement at this stage in my career, so a big market drop wouldn't be as devastating to me as it would to those with more to lose, so I will probably stand pat). Everyone knows it is coming, but who knows exactly when? I know one shouldn't try to time the market, but I fear a market correction like 2007-09 is coming in the next year or so. Much sooner if the Republicans can't pass their tax plan.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 12-01-2017, 12:27 AM.

Comment

• I just saw a couple of polls up on MSN about the current tax plan--the results were surprising to me. From what I've seen, that site gets more repubs than dems voting in their polls, as on most issues, the votes lean in favor of GOP policies. These two polls, which both had over 500k votes, were overwhelmingly against the tax plan, and overwhelming saying it would hurt middle class people. So, I guess Fox News and Brietbart has not done a good enough job of selling these bills to folks, as I'm seeing not only dems, but repubs against it. I cannot recall ever seeing a tax cut bill this poorly received by the public.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Holy cow, I need to mimic your investment strategies. Is this all retirement money? I don't think any of my retirement fund options are up that high.

I assume you mean up 40% on equities, not your overall retirement portfolio, as most folks have bonds and such, but even if so, that is a very impressive rate of return, even in this market. Personally, I'm very tempted to shift some of my equities into money markets for awhile, as a correction has to be coming (honestly, I don't have much in retirement at this stage in my career, so a big market drop wouldn't be as devastating to me as it would to those with more to lose, so I will probably stand pat). Everyone knows it is coming, but who knows exactly when? I know one shouldn't try to time the market, but I fear a market correction like 2007-09 is coming in the next year or so. Much sooner if the Republicans can't pass their tax plan.
          I’m a risk taker who personally invests far riskier than I do for my clients (I’m a financial adviser). I’m 100% equities, with about 75% in individual stocks. This has been the best year I can remember.

My most conservative clients are up almost 15% for the one-year period with only a 40% equity stake.

And yes, if they can’t pass the tax overhaul, there will be a correction. Otherwise, a correction won’t happen “just because.” This is a perfect storm (great economy, low inflation, low unemployment) for a solid market. Ride the wave.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
            I’m a risk taker who personally invests far riskier than I do for my clients (I’m a financial adviser). I’m 100% equities, with about 75% in individual stocks. This has been the best year I can remember.

My most conservative clients are up almost 15% for the one-year period with only a 40% equity stake.

And yes, if they can’t pass the tax overhaul, there will be a correction. Otherwise, a correction won’t happen “just becuase.” This is a perfect storm (great economy, low inflation, low unemployment) for a solid market. Ride the wave.
            I AM UP 24% IN MY 401 k_ so like Revo that is the only think that Trump hasn't fucked up as far as I am concern. Hopefully as I am 61 I can keep riding that wave for a few more years.

Comment

• Originally posted by hacko View Post
              I AM UP 24% IN MY 401 k_ so like Revo that is the only think that Trump hasn't fucked up as far as I am concern. Hopefully as I am 61 I can keep riding that wave for a few more years.
              Go get 'em, Hacko!

Comment

• Some more chipping away at the foundation today as Michael Flynn is expected to plead guilty to lying to the FBI.

Can you say "Plea Deal" everyone? I knew that you could...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                  Some more chipping away at the foundation today as Michael Flynn is expected to plead guilty to lying to the FBI.

Can you say "Plea Deal" everyone? I knew that you could...
                  Fake News! Hoax! Where's the investigation into Crooked Hillary? It's a nothing burger! Democrats are just angry I won! Fake News! Fake News!!!!

Comment

• Well, Donnie got his "Major Achievement" last night in the form of the worst, most partisan, middle and lower class crushing tax re-right in history. Filled with gifts to the doners, and slaps at anyone below the top 1%. It's a disgrace that this thing got passed. Eternal shame on the "Maverick", Jeff Flake, Susan Collins, and any other Senator who MIGHT have had the guts to vote no on this steaming turd.

The GOP even openly admitted that the only reason that they HAD to pass this bill was the their doners threatened to cut them off from the trough...disgusting.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Does anyone have any facebook friends cheering the tax reform bill passage today?

and why do they say they are happy?

I don't

Comment

• A tweet that at face value admits obstruction of justice is the winner of the day, but its early.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampdragon View Post
                          Does anyone have any facebook friends cheering the tax reform bill passage today?

and why do they say they are happy?

I don't
                          I don't do Facebook, but I have friends that are Trump supporters. They are like Astros fans right now. Mostly they think Trump has broken out of the undo-everything-Obama-did rut. Thiis is genuinely new major legislation. On that basis, they have a point.

J
                          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                            I don't do Facebook, but I have friends that are Trump supporters. They are like Astros fans right now. Mostly they think Trump has broken out of the undo-everything-Obama-did rut. Thiis is genuinely new major legislation. On that basis, they have a point.

J
                            “Yeaaahhhh!!!! My taxes will increase, my Social Security will be pushed back later, and my parents’ Medicare will be cut! But those one percenters have it made!!! Yeeaaahhhhhhh!!!!”

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post

J
                              and what do you think?

Comment

• My taxes will go down, so I like that part.

On the whole, I'm modestly supportive. We were due for a major tax overhaul. They come about once a generation, but it has been 32 years since COBRA. Much has been made of the richest getting richer, which is mostly BS. There is a lot of repositioning things for the middle class, but this was about business taxes. Leveling this particular playing field will almost certainly help the economy. For example, Apple has almost 1/2 $Trillion stranded overseas, prior to this law taking effect. This will allow them to bring some of that mass of assets home. Will it pay for itself, maybe or maybe not. We were due for a tune up and that was included.

Anyone that is anything to do with benefits and retirement plans, knows about COBRA. What they do not often understand is that this was also part of the Reagan tax reductions. This law will have far reaching affects, most of which will never see the light of day, except in some dry academic paper. Trump is about trade and this will help trade considerably.

Politically, this bill is dynamite. This is genuinely new legislation, owing nothing to Clinton, Bush or Obama. Prior to this, Trump's claim to fame had been undoing everything Obama. It's also the sort of thing conservatives love, event though most of them don't understand it. If the economy starts hitting 4%, watch out. The Democratic party's exposure in the Senate may come home to roost.

The Democrats real problem in 2018 is the economy. It has rolled through 2017 at over 3%, which looks to carry on into the first half of 2018. The tax law (assuming a small bit here) gives the Republicans a peg top hang their hat on, while the feel good of the best jobs environment in a decades works its magic. Obama deserves a small nod here, because the job numbers were steadily better through his whole term. Trump will reap the benefits. Slow but steady.

J
                                Last edited by onejayhawk; 12-03-2017, 12:07 AM.
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X