No announcement yet.

Supreme Court of the United States

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchin got his political cover. I’m a realist when it comes to Democrats in states like wva nd, etc. better to have someone reasonable and moderate than a republican. If Collins was a No and he was a No I’d have been angry. Onto the midterms. Anger is electoral rocket fuel is a quote I saw on Twitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
      Look, as disappointed as I am, Senator Collins at least displayed in her speech the kind of weighing of issues and thoughtfulness and gravity and some degree of balance and decency that we could use more of in Washington. I'm disappointed, but not as angry and bent on fundraising for her next opponent as many of the folks in my Facebook feed. She's a decent person who weighed the issues differently than I would have and came to a decision contrary to the one I wish she'd have made.
      All fair but she has a seat that the Democrats should win so I am all about ending her time in Washington. With so much of the states places where you can almost never elect a democrat it is important to start owning both seats in any state where the demographics favor us.

Comment

• They say there are strangers who threaten us
        Our immigrants and infidels
        They say there is strangeness to danger us
        In our theaters and bookstore shelves
        That those who know what's best for us
        Must rise and save us from ourselves
        Quick to judge
        Quick to anger
        Slow to understand
        Ignorance and prejudice
        And fear walk hand in hand
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
          All fair but she has a seat that the Democrats should win so I am all about ending her time in Washington. With so much of the states places where you can almost never elect a democrat it is important to start owning both seats in any state where the demographics favor us.
          FWIW, best way to beat Collins in 2020 is to have her get primaried from the right. If she gets to the general, she will, as always, be tough to beat.
          Edit: she won in 2014 with 69% of the vote and with 61% in 2008
          Last edited by nots; 10-05-2018, 03:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by nots View Post
            FWIW, best way to beat Collins in 2020 is to have her get primaried from the right. If she gets to the general, she will, as always, be tough to beat.
            Edit: she won in 2014 with 69% of the vote and with 61% in 2008
            Fair point but in 2014 we ran a candidate who had never held or run for office. She’s 4 years older than me which means she was 39 at the time. While I agree Collins would be tough to beat this is a case where we didn’t even try to put up a credible candidate. Hopefully we can do better.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
              Look, as disappointed as I am, Senator Collins at least displayed in her speech the kind of weighing of issues and thoughtfulness and gravity and some degree of balance and decency that we could use more of in Washington. I'm disappointed, but not as angry and bent on fundraising for her next opponent as many of the folks in my Facebook feed. She's a decent person who weighed the issues differently than I would have and came to a decision contrary to the one I wish she'd have made.
              if you made that observation to friends and family, would that - well, 'fly?'

not a snarky question.

also, was Dr. Ford's testimony enough for you all by itself?
              and if it was, do you have any hesitation about that, given the standard you would be choosing to set?
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I don't know if this is a complimet or not lol. I hadn't posted in here or the sports bar in forever, but politics will suck me back in all the time.
                I made the comparison because wonderboy was very partisan, but polite. Sort of like you but more polite and reasonable.
                "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                  I made the comparison because wonderboy was very partisan, but polite. Sort of like you but more polite and reasonable.
                  Sounds good, hasn’t done the political posts in a few years and forgot what wonderboy was like.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    They say there are strangers who threaten us
                    Quick to judge
                    Quick to anger
                    Slow to understand
                    Ignorance and prejudice
                    Rush rules.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      if you made that observation to friends and family, would that - well, 'fly?'

not a snarky question.

also, was Dr. Ford's testimony enough for you all by itself?
                      and if it was, do you have any hesitation about that, given the standard you would be choosing to set?
                      Yes with some friends and family, no with others. As for Ford, I found her testimony credible and believe all of the other reports established a pattern of attitude and behavior by Kavanaugh that collectively added credibility to Ford's testimony.

Comment

If I lived in Maine I would vote Democratic, and even living in NJ, if there was a strong Democratic opponent, I might throw a contribution her way. That's based on policy, though, not a belief that Collins is evil.

Comment

• Sadly, this outcome was always a forgone conclusion. Jeff Flake was going to be Jeff Flake, a man pretending to discover a spine until he realized that it was simply an illusion. Collins was always a yes vote, no matter how prettily she tried to package her reluctant yes. Manchin voted to keep himself in office, hardly surprising. And the Turtle once again showed that he plays politics at a level the Dems can only dream of.

Susan Rice coyly mentioned that she might run against Collins...I don't know enough about Maine to know if she's serious or not, or if she has a chance or not.

Now is the time to make the next month count...Dems probably can't take the Senate, but they can certainly take the house. Stop talk about impeachment, it's as much a pipe dream as derailing Kavanaugh was. Don't forget this and make every effort to get out and vote...take power back and keep it.
                          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                            Sadly, this outcome was always a forgone conclusion. Jeff Flake was going to be Jeff Flake, a man pretending to discover a spine until he realized that it was simply an illusion. Collins was always a yes vote, no matter how prettily she tried to package her reluctant yes. Manchin voted to keep himself in office, hardly surprising. And the Turtle once again showed that he plays politics at a level the Dems can only dream of.

Susan Rice coyly mentioned that she might run against Collins...I don't know enough about Maine to know if she's serious or not, or if she has a chance or not.

Now is the time to make the next month count...Dems probably can't take the Senate, but they can certainly take the house. Stop talk about impeachment, it's as much a pipe dream as derailing Kavanaugh was. Don't forget this and make every effort to get out and vote...take power back and keep it.
                            This whole affair may have damaged their chances of taking the Hoise materially. No one can unify Republicans like Democrats.

J
                            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              They say there are strangers who threaten us
                              Quick to judge
                              Quick to anger
                              Slow to understand
                              Ignorance and prejudice
                              I haven’t used this in a long time...,

Rush sucks, Mith.
                              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                                I haven’t used this in a long time...,

Rush sucks, Mith.
                                At least it's not Rush Limbaugh.

J
                                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
                                X