No announcement yet.

RJ Pay for Play - Draft Discussion Thread 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• even though I have acquired draft picks for next season, I have to admit I'm very against the dealing of future draft picks in-season.

It's not like rookie picks in baseball, which are likely not consequential for a team's fortunes. But we had, what, 3 owners leave this past off-season? That's 25% of the league. What are the consequences of a team dealing away multiple future picks then not returning?

I think if we want to keep up this practice for next season, there needs to be a forfeiture deposit of say, $50 or so. If a team trades away multiple future picks leaves the league, they forfeit their deposit. We do that in my other keeper league (for rookie draft picks only, too), which is far more stable than this one.

Otherwise, I think we should abandon the practice next season. You should only be able to trade picks in the weeks leading up to keeper announcement day.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      even though I have acquired draft picks for next season, I have to admit I'm very against the dealing of future draft picks in-season.

It's not like rookie picks in baseball, which are likely not consequential for a team's fortunes. But we had, what, 3 owners leave this past off-season? That's 25% of the league. What are the consequences of a team dealing away multiple future picks then not returning?

I think if we want to keep up this practice for next season, there needs to be a forfeiture deposit of say, $50 or so. If a team trades away multiple future picks leaves the league, they forfeit their deposit. We do that in my other keeper league (for rookie draft picks only, too), which is far more stable than this one.

Otherwise, I think we should abandon the practice next season. You should only be able to trade picks in the weeks leading up to keeper announcement day.
      I agree but this post would have had more meaning if you would have posted it last week before you dealt Mathews for a draft pick.
      14 Team 1/2PPR league (1 Keeper)

QB: Rivers (3), Stafford (5), Keenum (NA)
      RB: Kamara (11), McKinnon (7), Bernard (7)
      WR: M. Thomas (NA), Crabtree (1), Shepard (8), Wallace (NA), Cobb (NA)
      TE: Olsen (NA)
      K: Lutz (7)
      DEF: JAX (7)

(We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF)

Comment

• Originally posted by jwlincy View Post
        I agree but this post would have had more meaning if you would have posted it last week before you dealt Mathews for a draft pick.
        Honestly, I didn't even know you could trade picks in season until that evil genius Sea Dog Stat began to do it. I thought I had the best keeper -- by far -- with Cam Newton as an 11th rounder, but then guys were tossing around 2nd rounders like they were going out of style. What's the point in trading for a lottery ticket cheap player (like DeMarco Murray, for example), when I can get the pick of the litter in the 2nd or 3rd round?

Keep in mind I'm the acquirer of picks, so of course I will be back!

But I heard rumblings through the grapevine of others going "all in" and dealing away multiple top round picks. If the cupboard's that bare, what's the point in returning?

If a deposit is not used, maybe a team should only be allowed to trade one of their top 5 round picks, or some other form of limitation.

Comment

• I agree with Ed. I think that teams that trade draft picks for the following year must return for that season or I think they should be required to pay the $65 entry fee of that team.
          14 Team 1/2PPR league (1 Keeper)

QB: Rivers (3), Stafford (5), Keenum (NA)
          RB: Kamara (11), McKinnon (7), Bernard (7)
          WR: M. Thomas (NA), Crabtree (1), Shepard (8), Wallace (NA), Cobb (NA)
          TE: Olsen (NA)
          K: Lutz (7)
          DEF: JAX (7)

(We start 1 QB, 1 RB, 2 WRs, 1 RB/WR/TE, 1 TE, 1 K and 1 DEF)

Comment

Honestly, I didn't even know you could trade picks in season until that evil genius Sea Dog Stat began to do it. I thought I had the best keeper -- by far -- with Cam Newton as an 11th rounder, but then guys were tossing around 2nd rounders like they were going out of style. What's the point in trading for a lottery ticket cheap player (like DeMarco Murray, for example), when I can get the pick of the litter in the 2nd or 3rd round?
            On the downside...nobody even calls or emails me anymore... I feel so used
            I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
            You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
            "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
            It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

• Originally posted by SeaDogStat View Post
              On the downside...nobody even calls or emails me anymore... I feel so used
              whats your cell #?
              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                whats your cell #?
                It's on my FB page...

Stalker....

I always liked Alfonseca and he is twice the pitcher Hall of Famer Mordecai Brown was - cavebird 12-8-05
                You'd be surprised on how much 16 months in a federal pen can motivate you - gashousegang 7-31-06
                "...That said, the hippo will always be the gold standard here" - Heyelander's VD XII avatar analysis of SeaDogStat 1-29-07
                It's surprising that attempts to coordinate large groups of socially retarded people would end in this kind of chaos. - Cobain's Ghost 12-19-07

Comment

Keep in mind I'm the acquirer of picks, so of course I will be back!

But I heard rumblings through the grapevine of others going "all in" and dealing away multiple top round picks. If the cupboard's that bare, what's the point in returning?

If a deposit is not used, maybe a team should only be allowed to trade one of their top 5 round picks, or some other form of limitation.
                  Actually a very sound judgement. I like this alot.
                  Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Yeah I agree with Ed on this. The other downside is, looking at next year, it's disheartening to be a team that has been trying to compete, because SDS will draft 45 of the first 50 players next season. I'll go on the record right now as saying, if he doesn't win the league next year, it will be the worst job of managing a Fantasy Football team ever. Competitive balance is pretty much screwed right now and we need to rein it in.

Comment

• On the other side of the argument Phantasiphreak is doing pretty well and he did not pick until the 5th round (although he has a solid base coming in).

Comment

• Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                        Yeah I agree with Ed on this. The other downside is, looking at next year, it's disheartening to be a team that has been trying to compete, because SDS will draft 45 of the first 50 players next season. I'll go on the record right now as saying, if he doesn't win the league next year, it will be the worst job of managing a Fantasy Football team ever. Competitive balance is pretty much screwed right now and we need to rein it in.
                        I thought I did a great job going in, having Vick and DMC, along with Rice and moving up in round 2 and having an extra 4th rounder.

I suck!
                        After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

• I'm ok with whatever system we go with. I have no problem trading away top picks to win because I'm confident in my abilities to draft good players no matter what rounds I pick. And I kinda disagree with the statement that SDS should have a great team next year because of the number of draft picks that he'll have. Things happen like Jamaal Charles, Chris Johnson, etc. and all of these great picks get hurt or underperform and you're back to square one. So therefore, I don't think the competitive balance is screwed. But that's my opinion.

On the other hand.....owners that are dumping and then dropping out is kinda crappy and so I agree with Revo regarding some kind of penalty.

Comment

• Originally posted by Hammer View Post
                            I thought I did a great job going in, having Vick and DMC, along with Rice and moving up in round 2 and having an extra 4th rounder.

I suck!
                            Sometimes it is about luck. Look at me. Lowest scoring team as of now and I am about to be 4-4. No way I should be at .500, but I have played against other owners at the right time.
                            Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Trautdiggity View Post
                              Yeah I agree with Ed on this. The other downside is, looking at next year, it's disheartening to be a team that has been trying to compete, because SDS will draft 45 of the first 50 players next season. I'll go on the record right now as saying, if he doesn't win the league next year, it will be the worst job of managing a Fantasy Football team ever. Competitive balance is pretty much screwed right now and we need to rein it in.
                              Thanks for the jink And it's only 7 of the first 36 picks... and having two solid keepers plus Tom Brady, Steve Smith and SJax didn't guarantee anything. There's a lot of [MithMode] luck [/MithMode] in FF...

Hey, I was one of the "favorites" after the draft this year... I think scored the 2nd most points 2 of first 3 weeks only to play the highest scorer that week those weeks. Toss in a loss in week 4 plus season ending injury to Jamaal Charles and the season went right down the drain...

The main thing was after the week 5 loss, I wanted to be the first to jump into the dump pool since after five weeks, almost all teams (except 0-5 teams) still have hope of making the playoffs if they could get the extra player.

Ed definitely had the best keeper option (Cam Newton) offered to me, but I felt breaking up the big three would net me more than a group package to one owner. And, even though it was a solid offer, I have always hated when teams in my leagues dump everything to just one guy. I'd rather spread the wealth around....damn that leftist eldiablo for his policies rubbing off on me

Comment

• Here's a question for the league.....if I trade for a player who was a 2nd rd pick and I trade him for my 2nd rd pick next year and I decide to keep him, then what pick am I replacing in next year's draft?

Comment

Working...
                                X