No announcement yet.

*** VD 15 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ve been looking through the spreadsheet and I just don’t have a good grasp on what to value, particularly on the franchise side. So far my strategy is to focus on letter and see if i can jam the franchise in there somehow.
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
      I’ve been looking through the spreadsheet and I just don’t have a good grasp on what to value, particularly on the franchise side. So far my strategy is to focus on letter and see if i can jam the franchise in there somehow.
      Not a bad approach IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        Johnnya---the rules give you cover (since they state it is from the database as extracted more or less), but there seems to be a bug in the program. I have to name drop here to make my point, my apologies. The spreadsheet lists King Kelly as eligible for ATL/CHC/OEF. No problem with CHC---he played seven seasons for the Cubs. He also played 4 full seasons and one partial season with the Braves, so ATL makes sense. But OEF, he only has four seasons. In 1878 and 1879 he played for a Cincinnati Reds franchise (not the real one) that folded following the 1879 season. That's two OEF seasons. In 1890, he played for the Boston franchise in the Player's League. That's OEF season #3. In 1891, he started the year with an American Association franchise called Cincinnati Kelly's Killers (where he was manager and presumably the owner as well, lol). But, because players have never made enough money to own a franchise in their own right, it folded before the end of the season. He then moved to Boston Reds of the AA, another OEF franchise before finishing the season with the Braves. That should be season #4. He never played for any other OEF franchises. However, because 1891 included two different OEF franchises, he is considered OEF. I imagine this could happen to other players.

Just a heads up; I don't think there is anything we can do about it for this draft.
        That's some in-depth stuff!

The Franchise isn't calculated on a season-by-season basis, but on whether a player played for a franchise for even part of a season. So, as you said, since Kelly played for 2 different OEF Franchises during 1891, that counts as 2.

The OEF and ONA categories are more of a convenience / conceit than anything else. Otherwise we'd have to cope with dozens more Franchises with dozens more codes.

Kelly's OEF years according to the spreadsheet are:

1878 CN1 = OEF
        1879 CN1 = OEF
        1890 BSP = OEF
        1891 CN3 = OEF
        1891 BS2 = OEF

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
          That's some in-depth stuff!

The Franchise isn't calculated on a season-by-season basis, but on whether a player played for a franchise for even part of a season. So, as you said, since Kelly played for 2 different OEF Franchises during 1891, that counts as 2.

The OEF and ONA categories are more of a convenience / conceit than anything else. Otherwise we'd have to cope with dozens more Franchises with dozens more codes.

Kelly's OEF years according to the spreadsheet are:

1878 CN1 = OEF
          1879 CN1 = OEF
          1890 BSP = OEF
          1891 CN3 = OEF
          1891 BS2 = OEF
          Okay, that's what I pretty much figured. Only four years, but two with one franchise did the trick. Thanks for the info.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
            I’ve been looking through the spreadsheet and I just don’t have a good grasp on what to value, particularly on the franchise side. So far my strategy is to focus on letter and see if i can jam the franchise in there somehow.
            Not sure about his rationale, but I had Aaron 5th overall on my list, making the first seven picks, not exactly in order, the same as my top seven, which shouldn't be a surprise at all.

Comment

• Since apparently I might need to make a pick today, what VD did we last do letters and franchises? Do we have the history or SS for that one? Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by frae View Post
                Since apparently I might need to make a pick today, what VD did we last do letters and franchises? Do we have the history or SS for that one? Thanks.
                VD13 ... on the old site

I have no data for that. We're all wingin' it.

Comment

VD13 ... on the old site

Oh no, you mean I have to guess on my own. This could go very badly.

Comment

VD V in the history thread was franchise.
                    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                      VD V in the history thread was franchise.
                      From the old site?

Comment

From the old site?
                        Yeah. Actually letter x franchise.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

VD13 ... on the old site

VD XIII on the old site. Get it right.
                          I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

there is a history thread pasted in the overall VD History Thread that johnny bumped. Do a search on XIII and you can find it.

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                              there is a history thread pasted in the overall VD History Thread that johnny bumped. Do a search on XIII and you can find it.
                              I totally forgot I compiled that LOL

VD XIII is missing sadly. Yeah VD V was the only other Franchise draft from that set.

But I seem to recall we did another one after VDXX ... but I could be wrong.

Comment

I totally forgot I compiled that LOL

VD XIII is missing sadly. Yeah VD V was the only other Franchise draft from that set.

But I seem to recall we did another one after VDXX ... but I could be wrong.
                                the spreadsheet is missing, but there's a draft history paste down below.

Comment

Working...
                                X