*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bene Futuis View Post
    Rollie Fingers for career, then? No idea about the single season.
    Correct on Fingers for career. Check the draft thread for the last two single seasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
      While we are waiting for Bene, let's go for some all-time baseball trivia---five category pitchers edition. Don't worry, no correct answers will be spoilers; only one has not been drafted, and, well, Bene can't take him, and he won't be not drafted after that.

First: career edition: Only three pitchers in major league history have 300+ SV and 100+ Wins. All three also have 1299 or more K's, ERA's at or under 3.50, and WHIP's at or under 1.232, so true five-category pitchers.

Second: single season edition: Only three times in major league history has a pitcher had a season with 10+Wins, 20+ saves, and 150+ K's. All three seasons involved ERA's under 2.30 and WHIPs under 1.100, so again, true five category seasons.

Hint: Of the six answers, four involve players enshrined in the Hall of Fame (although not necessarily four different players); the other two answers do not.
      Dick Radatz ?
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by the feral slasher View Post
        dick radatz ?
        wrong
        More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
          Dick Radatz ?
          Correct---1963 and 1964.

Comment

• If i recall there is another 60s pitcher very similar.to radatz
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Nothing like those seasons unless he's not on the spreadsheet.

Comment

• Johnny---the spreadsheet still has issues with players with apostrophes in their names. Is there any way to fix this? I would say who, but, I can't publically.

Comment

Second: single season edition: Only three times in major league history has a pitcher had a season with 10+Wins, 20+ saves, and 150+ K's. All three seasons involved ERA's under 2.30 and WHIPs under 1.100, so again, true five category seasons.

If you lower your saves requirement to 10, you pull in a couple more interesting seasons, even with the 2.3 ERA and 1.1 WHIP.

One player who always goes early and another that rarely gets drafted but probably should due to his name, although his career stats aren't stellar

Comment

Johnny---the spreadsheet still has issues with players with apostrophes in their names. Is there any way to fix this? I would say who, but, I can't publically.
                    If we were smarter we would just remove all apostrophes in the spreadsheet, everything would work the same as long as we were consistent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ken View Post
                      If we were smarter we would just remove all apostrophes in the spreadsheet, everything would work the same as long as we were consistent.
                      It would probably require manually doing all of that--when it pops up, Johnny does that manually. It is weird, some guys with apostrophes are okay, some aren't.

Comment

If you lower your saves requirement to 10, you pull in a couple more interesting seasons, even with the 2.3 ERA and 1.1 WHIP.

One player who always goes early and another that rarely gets drafted but probably should due to his name, although his career stats aren't stellar
                        That is true. There are some strange and good seasons out there.

Comment

It would probably require manually doing all of that--when it pops up, Johnny does that manually. It is weird, some guys with apostrophes are okay, some aren't.
                          Why? You could just do a global replace in excel

Comment

Why? You could just do a global replace in excel
                            I'll defer to your knowledge on these things. I have no clue.

Comment

22.07 Dick Radatz P 1964

1964: 16 W, 29 SV, 181 K, 2.29 ERA, 1.025 WHIP. 10th in the AL in wins, 1st in saves, 7th in K's. Imagine what someone would pay in a regular roto league if he was expecting that nowadays.

Based on the fangraphs calculator, ~$35 in a 15 team mixed, so better than DeGrom, Strasburg, Greinke but not quite as good as the Cole/Verlander tier

Comment

Nothing like those seasons unless he's not on the spreadsheet.
                                I am hiding him for my last pick
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X