*** VD 14 Commentary Thread ***

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mari? O, no!
    More American children die by gunfire in a year than on-duty police officers and active duty military.

Comment

• Originally posted by johnnya24 View Post
      bumpity bump bump
      i saw some weird stuff lately with apostrophes, is that an issue ? I guess I should just download
      ---------------------------------------------
      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
        i saw some weird stuff lately with apostrophes, is that an issue ? I guess I should just download
        :nods:

Comment

This is insane ... 1906 footage rebuilt using AI, 4 days before the San Fran earthquake hit.

that is really cool
          The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
          George Orwell, 1984

Comment

:nods:
            ok, still looks like I am the clear winner, I think we can all stop now
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well at least you have Mariano Rivera, who is basically an extra vintage pitcher with SB's that can carry your entire team total ... I picked Chase Utley in the 5th, and an almost identical player will go undrafted
              decades and letters results in some weird anomalies....just like the alleged Heye pick that shall remain unmentioned
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I've been on a knife-edge with almost every pick since I gambled with Mathews and Helton. Needed Lowe or Larkin to make it back,; needed I-Rod and Deacon White to make it back; needed Galvin to make it back. Everything worked out apart from Raisel Iglesias. I've pull this one around nicely, but it's been a massive struggle. After a brutal first half, I was looking down the barrel of a bottom half finish for a long time ... especially when I realized my 1980's hitter error.

That said, it's still really tight in there ... and the last round of a multi draft is very unpredictable.
                I hate to tell you this, but I still have you in the second division, although it is very close (currently 8th, 0.2 out of 7th, 1.8 out of 6th). I think your problem now is that your options are, shall we say, very limited. That's why I expected Duke Farrell 1901 from you; to save the flexibility that a W pitcher gives. I actually expected you to go with Farrell 1891 and a different MI. Your way isn't particularly worse, just different, and you left Galvin exposed---if he didn't make it back, your finish is ugly.

Comment

• Wow, we are flying tonight---and Garp and Heyelander are here. As are me and Bene. Can my next pick be: "Player X, 1902, 1907, or 1909 depending on who other people take"?

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                    I hate to tell you this, but I still have you in the second division, although it is very close (currently 8th, 0.2 out of 7th, 1.8 out of 6th). I think your problem now is that your options are, shall we say, very limited. That's why I expected Duke Farrell 1901 from you; to save the flexibility that a W pitcher gives. I actually expected you to go with Farrell 1891 and a different MI. Your way isn't particularly worse, just different, and you left Galvin exposed---if he didn't make it back, your finish is ugly.
                    I didn't mean to say I was winning. I knew that in round 8. Second division is a victory considering my options a while back, the steeply declining value of my early picks and Garp and Frae brutalizing my short lists. Hubble and Leonard were daggers.

Farrell 1901 would only have been a desperation choice. He would have made my BY hitting lineup very vulnerable to the unpredictability of multi scoring. I was only considering Farrell in the 1890's, and would have went that direction if Larkin made it back. The robustness of Lowe, I-Rod and White was a no-brainer at that point ... especially when it looked very likely i would be able to get Galvin later - only a WC or an 1890's G were likely to take him, and I believe it was only the ratio tankers who could have taken him in the 1890's ... so definitely a solid gamble. That said i planned to take Galvin a little earlier. But when I saw Deacon White was a strong option for Bene, I had to gamble on Galvin. G sucked for me once I elected to pick Helton. I created that problem, but it was worth the risk. G became like an ENVO in almost every hitting and pitching decade (apart from Galvin) after Guidry and Gooden went.

Besides, it would probably have only cost me ~4 points if Galvin didn't make it back.

Where's the value in playing safe at this stage?

Comment

I didn't mean to say I was winning. I knew that in round 8. Second division is a victory considering my options a while back, the steeply declining value of my early picks and Garp and Frae brutalizing my short lists. Hubble and Leonard were daggers.

Farrell 1901 would only have been a desperation choice. He would have made my BY hitting lineup very vulnerable to the unpredictability of multi scoring. I was only considering Farrell in the 1890's, and would have went that direction if Larkin made it back. The robustness of Lowe, I-Rod and White was a no-brainer at that point ... especially when it looked very likely i would be able to get Galvin later - only a WC or an 1890's G were likely to take him, and I believe it was only the ratio tankers who could have taken him in the 1890's ... so definitely a solid gamble. That said i planned to take Galvin a little earlier. But when I saw Deacon White was a strong option for Bene, I had to gamble on Galvin. G sucked for me once I elected to pick Helton. I created that problem, but it was worth the risk. G became like an ENVO in almost every hitting and pitching decade (apart from Galvin) after Guidry and Gooden went.

Besides, it would probably have only cost me ~4 points if Galvin didn't make it back.

Where's the value in playing safe at this stage?
                      Yeah, you probably had to do it the way you did. And you got the guys to fall to you to finish close enough that you could end up first division if things break right for you--you are right, the BY numbers in the middle are crazy tight. It's why my confidence level is so low---of the contenders, DMT gets last pick.

Comment

• Cupid Childs or Cupid's Child ? I never know
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post
                          Cupid Childs or Cupid's Child ? I never know
                          FWIW, my first projections had you 8th. Now you're third. This thing is so tight, I won't even venture to say who the contenders already are. FWIW, with additive scoring, the top scores are now: 156.5, 156, 155.5, 154.5, 154.5, 154.0. That's just insane--six within 2.5 points. And the real scoring is also crazy close in 3rd-6th: 165.700, 165.490, 165.056, 164.555. Nutty. The top two in real scoring remain the same, somewhat ahead (in the 170's), but even though the choices are so limited now, I don't think I trust my projections that much. Pretty much anyone with a wild card or a crazy plan can change the standings for everyone. It does not exactly make it easy to figure out a pick, lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                            Wow, we are flying tonight---and Garp and Heyelander are here. As are me and Bene. Can my next pick be: "Player X, 1902, 1907, or 1909 depending on who other people take"?
                            You jinxed it

Comment

• sorry, meetings all morning. and frae sniped my pick. looking now.
                              I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

• Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                                sorry, meetings all morning. and frae sniped my pick. looking now.
                                I did have Wetteland down for both of you. frae was smart to grab him while he could. Although the State of Texas sort of beat you both to the punch.

Comment

Working...
                                X