Official Postseason Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    PM me your address, Joe Bob, and prepare to receive a check with lots of obscenities and offensive things written in the For: line.
    I'll take a sweet green picture of Abraham Lincoln the next time I see you!
    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

The price to own Madbum has skyrocketed.
      "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Well, that ROYALLY sucked.

I'll be here all week.

Comment

and I'll be seeing how good MLB coverage is in China and Australia......
          "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            "20-1 is too high. There are eight possible outcomes. They occur in roughly equal proportions. The odds on a sweep by a given team is 8-1, absent other considerations. I doubt 20-1 is ever justified."

I wasn't a math major, but that doesn't seem right, forget about tonight.
            Truth. It's a binomial probability distribution.

At 0.5 probability of a win:

A sweep can only happen one way: 4 straight wins. The probability is (0.5)^4 = 0.0625.

Winning in 5 games can happen C(4, 1) = 4 ways because the loser must win game 1, 2, 3, or 4.
            So the probability is 4(0.5)^4.

Winning in 6 games can happen C(5, 2) = 10 ways because the losing team must win 2 of the first 5 games.
            Probability 10(0.5)^5

Winning in 7 games can happen C(6, 3) = 20 ways because the losing team must win 3 of the first 6 games.
            Probability 20(0.5)^6

So at 50-50, a longer series is more probable.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
              Truth. It's a binomial probability distribution.

At 0.5 probability of a win:

A sweep can only happen one way: 4 straight wins. The probability is (0.5)^4 = 0.0625.

Winning in 5 games can happen C(4, 1) = 4 ways because the loser must win game 1, 2, 3, or 4.
              So the probability is 4(0.5)^4.

Winning in 6 games can happen C(5, 2) = 10 ways because the losing team must win 2 of the first 5 games.
              Probability 10(0.5)^5

Winning in 7 games can happen C(6, 3) = 20 ways because the losing team must win 3 of the first 6 games.
              Probability 20(0.5)^6

So at 50-50, a longer series is more probable.
              For winning in 5, 6, or 7 games I think you need to multiply by one more factor of 0.5 (for the given team to win the last game). Then if you add up the probability of winning in 4, 5, 6, or 7 games it equals 0.5
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

I was a math major, but that does not enter into it. The distribution is not close to a bell. By observation, sweeps occur more often than a 50/50 chance would occur. For example, from 1953-2002 you get

Gms Times
                4 | 8
                5 | 8
                6 | 10
                7 | 24

Why? Certainly the chances of winning game 2, given that you won game 1, would seem to be better than even. Momentum could be a factor, though some statisticians claim there is no such thing. Bottom line, I don't know. A normal (bell) distribution would result in 7 games series at 31.25%, or 15 to 16 out of 50. There are far more than that. The tendency is either blow outs or cliffhangers.

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                Well, that ROYALLY sucked.

I'll be here all week.
                That's too bad. The next game is in California.

So much for the sweeps. Does anyone want to bet three straight in SF?

J
                Last edited by onejayhawk; 10-23-2014, 10:01 AM.
                Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

something's not right. there have been more than 50 world series played.

and the fact that it doesn't match the theoretical probability is just because it's not a large enough sample. statistical clumping is at work...

you can easily simulate this, and if you use enough trials, you'll get the expected 12.5%, 25%, 31.25%, 31.25% distribution. but if you only use 100 trials, you will regularly get numbers like 5% or 45%. i just ran 1000 trials of 100 series each, and get the following:

Code:
                  games  expected  minimum  maximum
                  -----  --------  -------  -------
                    4     12.5%       2%      22%
                    5     25.0%      11%      40%
                    6     31.25%     18%      47%
                    7     31.25%     18%      47%
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                    something's not right. there have been more than 50 world series played.

and the fact that it doesn't match the theoretical probability is just because it's not a large enough sample. statistical clumping is at work...

you can easily simulate this, and if you use enough trials, you'll get the expected 12.5%, 25%, 31.25%, 31.25% distribution. but if you only use 100 trials, you will regularly get numbers like 5% or 45%. i just ran 1000 trials of 100 series each, and get the following:

Code:
                    games  expected  minimum  maximum
                    -----  --------  -------  -------
                      4     12.5%       2%      22%
                      5     25.0%      11%      40%
                      6     31.25%     18%      47%
                      7     31.25%     18%      47%
                    Based in your numbers, the premise that the distribution is normal fails at 90% confidence.

There was nothng magical bout that 50 years. It was the most recent 50 WS at the time of the article. Both sweeps and seven game series are much more common than expected. I suspect it has more to do with conditional probabilities than we are allowing. For example, the probability of a sweep, given winning the first two games, would be 25% in a 50/50 scenario. I suspect it is more like 50%.

J
                    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• the fact that if you flip a coin 10 times and it comes up tails 8 of the 10, when you "expect" 5, doesn't mean tails is "much more common than expected." it just means you didn't flip the coin often enough.
                      "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                        20-1 is too high. There are eight possible outcomes. They occur in roughly equal proportions. The odds on a sweep by a given team is 8-1, absent other considerations. I doubt 20-1 is ever justified.

J
                        This is just plain wrong, you should stop arguing and try to use your math degree to figure out what you are doing wrong In
                        stead of arguing about conditional probabilities.
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• You all can talk about probabilities when it come to how long a series will go in baseball, but playing baseball games isn't like flipping a coin or drawing a card from a deck of cards. It's quite possible to never get to "expected outcome" because it's more than just pure chance as to who wins a game, and who wins 4 games first.

So really, this conversation is just you guys flexing your brains.
                          Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                            You all can talk about probabilities when it come to how long a series will go in baseball, but playing baseball games isn't like flipping a coin or drawing a card from a deck of cards. It's quite possible to never get to "expected outcome" because it's more than just pure chance as to who wins a game, and who wins 4 games first.

Maybe if we were vegans we would have something better to do
                            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

• I have a twin brother, and it happens that we married women who share their birthdays as well (though born in different years).

It's amusing, but people seem to think it's about a 10 million to 1 shot when in fact I think it's what, a 9th grade math question?

The gals were born 180 days apart from our birthdays, which astrology fans would love, I guess.
                              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                                hey, a good brain flex is healthy once in a while .

agreed that it's not 50/50. what would be very interesting is to take, say, the vegas odds and use that as the "expected" outcome for each game, then see how long you expect the series to last. some series are much more evenly matched than others, for sure. at least on paper.

Comment

Working...
                                X