No announcement yet.

2 days into the season, 4 projected closers already down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is the same team (but different manager) that once had K-Rod throw 100 warmup pitches in the pen during an extra-inning game.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• Hawkins with a 4-out 9th - and charged with a blown SV

out
      then routine grounder to Rutledge for 2nd out - wait, that's a Little League high throw, runner safe
      single
      ok, Rollins foul pop to Tulo for 2nd out - nope, he drops it
      gets Rollins for 2nd out anyway
      pulled for LH Logan vs Utley, game-tying single
      then 3-run HR by Howard, Phils win 6-3

don't think this one changes the closer calculus there. if anything they may leave Hawkins alone in the 9th if he's not struggling like tonight. too cute by half...
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
        Hawkins with a 4-out 9th - and charged with a blown SV

out
        then routine grounder to Rutledge for 2nd out - wait, that's a Little League high throw, runner safe
        single
        ok, Rollins foul pop to Tulo for 2nd out - nope, he drops it
        gets Rollins for 2nd out anyway
        pulled for LH Logan vs Utley, game-tying single
        then 3-run HR by Howard, Phils win 6-3

don't think this one changes the closer calculus there. if anything they may leave Hawkins alone in the 9th if he's not struggling like tonight. too cute by half...
        That wouldn't be a blown save for Hawkins. He would get a hold. The blown save goes to Logan.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          Agreed. The boxscore looks worse than it was. Certainly not a great outing by Hawkins, but most of that damage was not his fault. Still, tonight didn't exactly help solidify his hold on the closer job, fairly or not.

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            That wouldn't be a blown save for Hawkins. He would get a hold. The blown save goes to Logan.
            Since the winning run was his, I think he gets a hold and the loss. He might not get the hold because he gets the loss, however, I am not sure. Logan definitely gets the blown save.

Comment

• Hawkins gets a loss, a hold, and NOT a blown SV, as you guys note...

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Josh Rutledge should get the blown save. Dope...
                "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• What is going on with the White Sox? How can they keep running out Belisario for the 9th?

Comment

• Originally posted by cleo View Post
                    What is going on with the White Sox? How can they keep running out Belisario for the 9th?
                    They don't have anyone better?

Comment

• Nathan was pretty rough the last 2 nights, not that he's going anywhere. And in other news, Jim Johnson still sucks and is annoyed when A's fans boo him.

Comment

• On a night when Kimbrel couldn't be Kimbrel, J.Mejia with "the Kimbrel": 3 K save.
                        12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                        1B-Cron
                        2B- Villar
                        SS- Andrus
                        3B-Baez
                        MI-L. Gurriel
                        CI- Y.Gurriel
                        OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                        UTIL- Benintendi
                        BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                        SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                        RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                        IL: Buxton

Comment

• Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                          And in other news, Jim Johnson still sucks and is annoyed when A's fans boo him.
                          Has anyone told him that the cure for booing is to not suck?
                          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                          -- William James

Comment

• I have a rare chance in this very restrictive league where I've already used up 2 of my 6 'free' moves: Cain went on DL but will be back to pitch on Friday. I can take Ottavino right now, then next Thursday I can reactivate Cain if he's definitely pitching Friday - thereby waiving Ottavino or Blake Treinen without using a move (I need a 6th SP but, c'mon, I'm in 8th place. looking more to 2015).

wait, am I talking myself into taking Ottavino and keeping him? he'd be a 10-S1 next year and if he had the closer job, worth it...

UPDATE: Rockies score 4 in top of 7th to make it 6-6
                            Ottavino 1-2-3 bottom 7 w 2 Ks
                            Brothers bottom 8th, allows a hit and a walk - and a run
                            7-6 Indians win it, in this deep-seated rivalry
                            Last edited by Judge Jude; 05-31-2014, 05:15 PM.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• And Ottavino gags it away today...giving up a 2 run homer to Bourn in the 9th to lose the game.

On the bright side, Cuddyer didn't kill anyone with a throw from 3rd...
                              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• wow, think I'll keep the spot open for another couple of days to see what's cookin', then - passed up that Cubs' Ramirez guy, with Rondon back soon....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Working...
                                X