No announcement yet.

2 days into the season, 4 projected closers already down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanks, Horns. interesting on all, and Wilson is indeed on the table.
    will monitor Soriano/Storen - the latter is the best RP in the entire FA pool, skills-wise.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
      in past few years I have snagged Betancourt, Cishek, and Hawkins, among others, out of the FA bucket and turned them into 10-unit closer keepers. also like to pair those with end-game auction fliers - this year K-Rod 2 (!) and Ziegler 1.

now have just had Bolsinger, KHendricks, and Hahn sent down, so 3 P openings just as I crunch the numbers and realize with YMolina down and Pagan not rebounding, I'm toast. for 2014.

am mulling grabbing at least 2 possible CLOSERS IN WAITING right away, and leaving one slot for a trade that leaves a surprise new closer (of course, guys like Giles and Diekman are already gone; would be more like Hawkins dealt and suddenly it's Belisle out of the blue).

can grab 2 now and sit on them til July 31, and bring back CLee and Hahn then and dump the 2 Biggest Losers on the staff.

options:
      - Ottavino in COL; tried him briefly last month, at his implosion time. has settled down somewhat and purely for 2015...

- Thayer and/or Torres in SD. could nab both for now, and hedge my bet! wait for Vincent to come off DL?

- Storen. safest 2014 play, but I don't care about 2014.

- Machi and/or Gutierrez in SF. is Romo safe for 2015?

- Schlitter in CHI - not Schlitting you - any chance for CL job start of 2015?

The "grab a SP who winds up a keeper for 10" plan is almost out of the question at this pt: only current FAs who have started a game this season, most to least, are (and some haven't started in months): FMorales, Turner, Maholm, Petit, Villanueva, Hand, Stauffer, Delgado.

was leaning Ottavino + Storen, but a Padre a better pick? 2 Padres? again, purely on chance of owning a closer job to start next season. no "likelys," but looking to make a little more magic....
      Dont know who's available in your league but what about:
      - Giles/Diekman in Philly?
      - Andrew Miller/Tazawa in Boston?
      - Feliz/Frasor in Texas?
      - Sipp/Fields in Houston?
      - Neshek/Motte in St. Louis?
      - Boxberger in Tampa?
      - Ziegler in Arizona?

I assume Putnam/Petricka, Betances, Joba, Wade Davis and Neil Ramirez are already taken.

And dont forget about Fujikawa for the Cubs, who recently returned to action in the minors and is unscored upon.

Comment

• none of those NLers in my league are available; my list is a "greatest hits left" group

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

• Soriano guaranteed $14M in 2015 if 120 games finished in 2013-14
          so far 88 GF out of 255
          would need 32 out of final 69, a huge increase

so not only won't he get there, no chicanery required by Nats
          of course, Soriano has been spectacular, so club option still plus could negotiate a new deal
          but they have Storen and Clippard and... not the best place for them to spend big

leaning Storen to tuck away as one.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• I'm about to bail on Putnam because I see this committee continuing until Lindstrom's surprisingly early return in a month or so and then the whole pen might be a mess again for ROS.

How would you guys rank these three for saves ROS? I have ranked them:

Ramirez
            Giles
            Benoit
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              I'm about to bail on Putnam because I see this committee continuing until Lindstrom's surprisingly early return in a month or so and then the whole pen might be a mess again for ROS.

How would you guys rank these three for saves ROS? I have ranked them:

Ramirez
              Giles
              Benoit
              That's tough, man. I think all would be good as a closer if given the full-time chance. I think Benoit probably has a bit higher chance to take over the gig as Street is decidedly on the block. The odds that Papelbon and his costly contract get moved seem slim (do you really think ownership is going to give Amaro leeway to assume half that contract just to get a B- prospect in return?) And Ramirez is the most talent guy in the Cubs' pen but they're seemingly loyal to Rondon for the moment.

I'd probably go:
              Benoit
              Ramirez
              Giles

Comment

• Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                And Ramirez is the most talent guy in the Cubs' pen but they're seemingly loyal to Rondon for the moment.
                Frankly, if Rondon blows two consecutive saves chances, I think they give Ramirez a shot. They'll need to start thinking about who is going to close for them next year and I feel that Rondon is still just a placeholder... but for whom? Maybe when/if Fujikawa returns, he will find a spot at the back end of the bullpen ready for him. Or maybe Ramirez will take the job and run with it. I don't know, really, but I wouldn't be banking on Rondon's long-term future in the closer's role. If you have him, ride him for as long as it lasts, but be ready to jump if the tides change.

Comment

That's tough, man. I think all would be good as a closer if given the full-time chance. I think Benoit probably has a bit higher chance to take over the gig as Street is decidedly on the block. The odds that Papelbon and his costly contract get moved seem slim (do you really think ownership is going to give Amaro leeway to assume half that contract just to get a B- prospect in return?) And Ramirez is the most talent guy in the Cubs' pen but they're seemingly loyal to Rondon for the moment.

I'd probably go:
                  Benoit
                  Ramirez
                  Giles
                  hmm, I put Benoit last because someone said Benoit is more likely to be traded and I'm not sure he closes for many teams. Maybe LAA?

Interesting thought on Papelbon... but he's been very good this year so maybe a contender doesnt ask for too much money.
                  "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

hmm, I put Benoit last because someone said Benoit is more likely to be traded and I'm not sure he closes for many teams. Maybe LAA?

Interesting thought on Papelbon... but he's been very good this year so maybe a contender doesnt ask for too much money.
                    I can't imagine any contender would take on Papelbon's guaranteed money when there are so many other good relievers on the market. And Benoit? I think it's 50/50 that Street gets dealt, and unless Benoit also gets moved, that means he gets the job. I certainly think he has a higher percentage of being a closer by August than Giles.

And I agree with The Dane. Rondon isn't on the most solid of all ground in Chicago. Ramirez seems like the de facto #2 in that pen (with the best skills there by a country mile).

Comment

And I agree with The Dane. Rondon isn't on the most solid of all ground in Chicago. Ramirez seems like the de facto #2 in that pen (with the best skills there by a country mile).
                      That's all well and good, but he needs to get the job soon or it will be too late. I have too much ground to make up in saves---and the Cubs minus the guys they have already dealt aren't exactly likely to provide tons of save opps.

Comment

• I am not sure that LAA should be dealing for a closer. Smith has been lights out so why mess with it? Granted he doesn't have the history or pedigree that one associates with a closer, but he is getting the job done.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          I am not sure that LAA should be dealing for a closer. Smith has been lights out so why mess with it? Granted he doesn't have the history or pedigree that one associates with a closer, but he is getting the job done.
                          doesnt matter if Smith is the 8th or the 9th inning guy, if they get a closer, that pen is suddenly much deeper.

Comment

• Smith's July line: 9 IP, 1 BB, 7 K.
                            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

doesnt matter if Smith is the 8th or the 9th inning guy, if they get a closer, that pen is suddenly much deeper.
                              This. GM's and managers don't give a rat's ass about saves so much as having a better team overall. A stronger bullpen plays up in the playoffs, too, so that's even more incentive for a team like the Angels to go after Street or some other strong bullpen arm.

Comment

A stronger bullpen plays up in the playoffs, too.
                                Yep. The Phils won it all in 2008 with one ace, and did not win it all in subsequent trips with two, three or four aces. Why? A major reason is that in 2008 they got career years from Brad Lidge and JC Romero.
                                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                                X