2K24: Washington Nationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Their final offer was 1 year, 1.6 million. Ugh.
    USA Today's Bob Nightengale is saying it was that amount (less than $2 million) over two years which is even more offensive considering that managers like Mattingly are getting $10 million for 4 years.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
      Clearly the better choice. I think the Nationals wanted Bud Black before the job even opened up.
      I guess wanting him for the job and wanting to pay him are two different things.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• So why is the offer to Black insulting? Too low? Not enough years? What does he think he deserves?
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
          So why is the offer to Black insulting? Too low? Not enough years? What does he think he deserves?
          I'm not seeing it either...Black has never managed in post season, never won the division, finished below .500 in 7 of his 9 seasons as manager.

I think that it's more of a public backlash at Dusty...which I agree with. Really bad choice IMO, unless they make him hire a pitching coach with autonomy...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

What does he think he deserves?
            A lifetime of free copies at the local public library.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

So why is the offer to Black insulting? Too low? Not enough years? What does he think he deserves?
              I think you have to offer at least 2 years (conflicting reports or whether they did) and at least a competitive salary.

Comment

The same respect every other manager out there has been getting.

If you want him as a manager, you bring him in on multiple years at the going rate.

Mattingly got 4/10 million and Black has done more with less for years.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post

If you want him as a manager, you bring him in on multiple years at the going rate.

Thanks as I really had no idea what the going rate or length of contract is.

I guess it depends on his other options.
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                    A lifetime of free copies at the local public library.
                    Who does he think he is, Kevin Seitzer!!!

Comment

Thanks as I really had no idea what the going rate or length of contract is.

I guess it depends on his other options.
                      He'll have options. Maybe not this year, but soon enough.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

That's simply not true factually...Mattingly has won 3 division titles in a row and never finished lower than 3rd. Yes, he's certainly had the talent, but he's done better than most people think. This years club was simply not that good, and they had a ton of injuries, yet they won the division going away.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                          That's simply not true factually...Mattingly has won 3 division titles in a row and never finished lower than 3rd. Yes, he's certainly had the talent, but he's done better than most people think. This years club was simply not that good, and they had a ton of injuries, yet they won the division going away.
                          MY brother, I or You could manage a 300 million dollar payroll to a division title. Simply not that good? Kershaw and Greinke are arguably to best 1-2 punch in that past decade. Kenley Jansen was his usual lights out Their team Hitting was 3rd best in MLB. Their pitching 2nd. Mattingly Never had a payroll lower than 4th in the league going 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st and 1st. He only managed to win one post season series and was fired.

Black on the other hand never had a payroll higher than last year, which ranked 18th and was still almost a third of what Mattingly had to work with. His payrolls ranked 24, 19, 29, 29, 28, 30 25, 20 and last years 18. He got more out of his no talent rosters than most other managers could have. Is he the best manager ever? NO, but he's absolutely every bit as good as Mattingly and probably better if he had the resources Don did.

So yea, mattingly made more postseasons, but he had far and beyond more resources to do so and in the end has as many NL Pennants in LA as Black does in SD.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Bud Black is interviewing for the Dodgers job now. He knows where the money is.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                              Bud Black is interviewing for the Dodgers job now. He knows where the money is.
                              I'll fucking hate it if he goes there.

Like Bochy going to the Giants.

LA will finally win it all. Shit.

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

MY brother, I or You could manage a 300 million dollar payroll to a division title. Simply not that good? Kershaw and Greinke are arguably to best 1-2 punch in that past decade. Kenley Jansen was his usual lights out Their team Hitting was 3rd best in MLB. Their pitching 2nd. Mattingly Never had a payroll lower than 4th in the league going 4th, 4th, 2nd, 1st and 1st. He only managed to win one post season series and was fired.

Black on the other hand never had a payroll higher than last year, which ranked 18th and was still almost a third of what Mattingly had to work with. His payrolls ranked 24, 19, 29, 29, 28, 30 25, 20 and last years 18. He got more out of his no talent rosters than most other managers could have. Is he the best manager ever? NO, but he's absolutely every bit as good as Mattingly and probably better if he had the resources Don did.

So yea, mattingly made more postseasons, but he had far and beyond more resources to do so and in the end has as many NL Pennants in LA as Black does in SD.
                                Post season is a crap shoot, it always has been and always will be. The point is that Mattingly did the job expected of him, to win the division 3 different times. The greatest pitcher in the game came up short a couple of those years, and just because someone is paid a lot doesn't mean the money is well used. The Dodgers had a TON of dead weight on their payroll, and ended up with starters that accomplished nothing. Carl Crawford, Andre Ethier, Brett Anderson, Brandon McCarthy, bullpen guy after failed bullpen guy, and the list can go on.

Mattingly will never be the sabermetricians choice, but I suspect that he's always had a lot more interference from the front office than has been reported. Bottom line is that he did the job, and he did it successfully...we'll see if Black can do the same given the same situation.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X