No announcement yet.

2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are aspects to the Lancaster relationship that I obviously can't discuss, but I will say that I believe that all that moving the fences back does is lower the home run rate and increase the rate of singles, doubles, and triples. See Coors Field. It helps a little in some ways, but it produces other issues with evaluating and developing players. The Astros (or the Red Sox, who were in Lancaster before us) don't control the park dimensions and can only request that the Lancaster club do something about them. Using a humidor is something that was done in Denver and might have some success in Lancaster, too, but that wouldn't address either the thin air or the jet stream that blows out to right field on many nights.
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      Wow, all they need to do now is to spread rumors about the kid when he doesn't take their ridiculous "New Offer"...oh wait, they already did. An "Elbow Abnormality"...looks like Houston is taking a page from the Philly book. Really sad...
      how do you know its just a rumor?
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
        how do you know its just a rumor?
        How do you know that it's not?

Until someone else examines him, or the Astros divulge just what the "abnormality" is, it's nothing more than gossip. He may have something, he may have nothing. Maybe the Astros had buyers remorse and are trying to renege on what sounds like it was a handshake deal, and maybe there's something horribly wrong there.

They should have just kept their mouths shut and said that we simply re-evaluated our offer, and decided that this was a fair figure. No reason at all to slag the kid...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

How do you know that it's not?

Until someone else examines him, or the Astros divulge just what the "abnormality" is, it's nothing more than gossip. He may have something, he may have nothing. Maybe the Astros had buyers remorse and are trying to renege on what sounds like it was a handshake deal, and maybe there's something horribly wrong there.

They should have just kept their mouths shut and said that we simply re-evaluated our offer, and decided that this was a fair figure. No reason at all to slag the kid...
          lol, everything coming out of the Astros org is a lie! A LIE!!
          "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

lol, everything coming out of the Astros org is a lie! A LIE!!
            The point is pretty simple, would you be alright with a company that you had interviewed with, and submitted to a physical for, releasing medical information about you to other potential employers? Because that's pretty much what happened, they poisoned the water for Aiken with 29 other MLB clubs if he goes back into the draft.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

The point is pretty simple, would you be alright with a company that you had interviewed with, and submitted to a physical for, releasing medical information about you to other potential employers? Because that's pretty much what happened, they poisoned the water for Aiken with 29 other MLB clubs if he goes back into the draft.
              Like ball-four was ?

Comment

You expected that this news was going to remain unknown?

You dont think 29 other teams will check out Aiken's elbow? And if its fine, he'll be a high pick again.

If its not, and he needs TJ, why shouldnt the Astros request a discount? Hoffman went 9th, but was in the running for #1 until he was injured. He got $3M. The Astros are offering slightly more than that and if its the same injury, I think thats fair.

Comment

You expected that this news was going to remain unknown?

You dont think 29 other teams will check out Aiken's elbow? And if its fine, he'll be a high pick again.

If its not, and he needs TJ, why shouldnt the Astros request a discount? Hoffman went 9th, but was in the running for #1 until he was injured. He got $3M. The Astros are offering slightly more than that and if its the same injury, I think thats fair.
                  I expect that the club that owns my rights is NOT going to be the outlet that disloses a potential injury. I would expect them to have the back of the player that they thought high enough of to take #! overall.

I would have expected the Astros to do a thorough physical before, and not decide AFTER they've already offered a contract, to renege on that deal and cut it by more than half. I would expect them to honor an agreement that had already saved them 1.4 million over what MLB had agreed should be the slot.

Who said anything about TJ? See how this works...rumor of an "abnormality" suddenly become potential TJ surgery in your mind. It could be the same thing Yordano Ventura had, it could be a minor difference in what a "normal" elbow should look like, and it could be nothing at all. But you immediately jumped to TJ surgery when that was never mentioned.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I expect that the club that owns my rights is NOT going to be the outlet that disloses a potential injury. I would expect them to have the back of the player that they thought high enough of to take #! overall.

I would have expected the Astros to do a thorough physical before, and not decide AFTER they've already offered a contract, to renege on that deal and cut it by more than half. I would expect them to honor an agreement that had already saved them 1.4 million over what MLB had agreed should be the slot.

Who said anything about TJ? See how this works...rumor of an "abnormality" suddenly become potential TJ surgery in your mind. It could be the same thing Yordano Ventura had, it could be a minor difference in what a "normal" elbow should look like, and it could be nothing at all. But you immediately jumped to TJ surgery when that was never mentioned.
                    I had a longer response typed out but then I figured this will go on forever. All I'll say is that the rest of MLB will do their research independently of the Astros if Aiken is in the draft next year. If Aiken is fine, then what the Astros think is irrelevant.

Dont physicals usually come after the initial offer? I think so, but thats just off the top of my head.

Comment

• As sad as this has become, I think it is typical. A deal is reached pending a physical. Something is weird on the physical even though it may fall short of being an injury. Team balks, makes a new low ball offer. The leaking has also become typical. It isn't officially done---the Astros haven't publicly said anything---but the preliminary agreement is announced, then no final agreement, and reporters keep digging until they find the reason.

But both of you are missing that the guy really getting the shaft is the Astros other draft pick. He had a handshake agreement on an above-slot bonus of $1.5 million. That is the deal that the Astros are arguably reneging on, moreso than the other which was always contingent upon the physical. This other guy (sorry, forgot his name) had no problems with the physical. The problem is that his above slot bonus came from the below slot bonus that Aiken was going to get (the original one, not the new lower offer, whatever it may be, and like someone else in this thread, I have heard different numbers). If Aiken does not sign, all of the first pick slot money goes away, and the Astros don't have the draft money to make good on the agreement, so now they are balking at that handshake agreement. Complicating the issue is that both players have the same agent, errr, advisor, representing, err, advising them. He's got to be close to apoplectic by now.

Comment

• Astros prospect right-hander Mark Appel was knocked around again Wednesday, allowing seven hits, one walk, and one run over 1 2/3 innings while striking out two batters for High-A Lancaster.

Strike out rate wasn't too bad for the game

Comment

• They need to change the process up and do some kind of pre-draft comprehensive physical by agreed-upon 3rd party doctors. This way, every team has the exact same pre-draft medical report to look at. If a prospect won't sign off on that, then team can flag that prospect accordingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                            They need to change the process up and do some kind of pre-draft comprehensive physical by agreed-upon 3rd party doctors. This way, every team has the exact same pre-draft medical report to look at. If a prospect won't sign off on that, then team can flag that prospect accordingly.
                            Excellent suggestion...make it like the NFL combine where a comprehensive physical is part of the deal.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              They need to change the process up and do some kind of pre-draft comprehensive physical by agreed-upon 3rd party doctors. This way, every team has the exact same pre-draft medical report to look at. If a prospect won't sign off on that, then team can flag that prospect accordingly.
                              yeah its kind of crappy the way it is now. I cant believe medical evals aren't done pre-draft. Thats insane.

Comment

yeah its kind of crappy the way it is now. I cant believe medical evals aren't done pre-draft. Thats insane.
                                There are probably two reasons for this: the college season is still going on, so when could they do it? and silly NCAA rules are bound to be interfering as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X