2K24: Houston Astros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
    Any time your 5'4 second baseman can hit cleanup, you've gotta do that, right?
    I remember the time Bip Roberts saw the Royals' lineup card had him hitting 4th. He begged his manager to let him have the card so no one would call him a liar years later.
    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by eephus View Post
      The organization looks a lot deeper at all minor league levels but the big league team on opening day won't be a big improvement over last year's club. I guess Fowler is a step up and maybe Feldman is better than Bud Norris but avoiding another 100 loss season is going to take some work.
      I agree. Obviously KS knows more than we do, but this staff looks disastrous with prospects still 2 seasons away from helping. Houston is this country's 4th largest city, I have to imagine patience is wearing thin, like with the Mets here. But at least the Mets have a seemingly great staff on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I agree. Obviously KS knows more than we do, but this staff looks disastrous with prospects still 2 seasons away from helping. Houston is this country's 4th largest city, I have to imagine patience is wearing thin, like with the Mets here. But at least the Mets have a seemingly great staff on the horizon.
        Appel is probably just one year away from helping. That being said, nobody will notice what happens, since you can't actually see any of their games if you are in a 500 mile radius of Houston given the TV debacle.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
          Appel is probably just one year away from helping. That being said, nobody will notice what happens, since you can't actually see any of their games if you are in a 500 mile radius of Houston given the TV debacle.
          Wow. I didn't know that. That seems like a bad deal for all involved. How long will that go on?

On the baseball side of things, George Springer should be up in June. That at least should be exciting for fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            Wow. I didn't know that. That seems like a bad deal for all involved. How long will that go on?

On the baseball side of things, George Springer should be up in June. That at least should be exciting for fans.
            It was a joint venture between the Astros, Comcast, and someone else, I think the Rockets. They have been in bankruptcy court for a while. It started with the old Astros ownership, and I think the new ownership has either sued or is about to sue the old ownership over the issue on a fraud thing for not telling them what a flaming mess it is. A few households in Houston can get it. Several games at the end of last year got ratings of 0.0, literally nobody.

Comment

It was a joint venture between the Astros, Comcast, and someone else, I think the Rockets. They have been in bankruptcy court for a while. It started with the old Astros ownership, and I think the new ownership has either sued or is about to sue the old ownership over the issue on a fraud thing for not telling them what a flaming mess it is. A few households in Houston can get it. Several games at the end of last year got ratings of 0.0, literally nobody.
              Yep, the network quit paying rights fees to the Astros middle of last summer and has not paid the Rockets rights fees this season. Comcast took the network into involuntary bankruptcy in September 2013 to prevent the Astros from leaving the venture and taking their media rights elsewhere. So now the future of the Astros TV contract is playing out in bankruptcy court.

How it got into that situation in the beginning is the subject of the civil lawsuit between the new owner of the Astros on one side and Comcast and the old owner of the Astros on the other side.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                Yep, the network quit paying rights fees to the Astros middle of last summer and has not paid the Rockets rights fees this season. Comcast took the network into involuntary bankruptcy in September 2013 to prevent the Astros from leaving the venture and taking their media rights elsewhere. So now the future of the Astros TV contract is playing out in bankruptcy court.

How it got into that situation in the beginning is the subject of the civil lawsuit between the new owner of the Astros on one side and Comcast and the old owner of the Astros on the other side.
                Okay, I figured they would have filed suit by now, somehow I missed that they had. It is sort of beyond ridiculous at this point.

Comment

9 of the 13 position players on the active roster, including 7 of 9 regulars, are hitting under the Mendoza Line.

Comment

in two months the wave of prospects will start and will continue for 2-3 years. Its going to get better.
                    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Okay, I figured they would have filed suit by now, somehow I missed that they had. It is sort of beyond ridiculous at this point.
                      As alluded to in the discussion of the team valuation/cash flow stuff this situation is a mess.

Comment

So...does Houston have any viable alternatives to Villar at SS? Or should I try and buy low on him?
                        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

CBS and others are reporting that Singleton is close to a call-up. I'd assume Houston would hold out until after the super-2 date (do we know when that is this year? June or July?) but maybe not if they've gone and brought Springer up as well. When do you think we'll see him, and does he displace Carter, Krauss, or someone else when he gets the call?

Comment

Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                            CBS and others are reporting that Singleton is close to a call-up. I'd assume Houston would hold out until after the super-2 date (do we know when that is this year? June or July?) but maybe not if they've gone and brought Springer up as well. When do you think we'll see him, and does he displace Carter, Krauss, or someone else when he gets the call?
                            It is June this year, but I do not know the date.

Through a rule in our NL only, I got to keep my Houston rookie status guys through this year. It would be nice to get Singleton into my lineup. As of right now he would be replacing the injured Belt.

I also have him in my AL only along with Springer. I am pretty stoked about this.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                              It is June this year, but I do not know the date.
                              Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
                              the super-2 date (do we know when that is this year? June or July?
                              We dont know the exact date until three years later. Or at least thats what Keith Law said. He also said its never been later than June 10. Teams that are really concerned about Super 2 will probably wait until after June 10 but by how much we dont know.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Best records since May 10:
                                21-10 Toronto
                                20-10 San Francisco
                                20-11 Houston
                                18-11 Oakland
                                18-12 LA Angels
                                17-13 Milwaukee

Best run differential since May 10:
                                +77 Oakland
                                +39 Washington
                                +36 San Francisco
                                +27 Houston
                                +23 Seattle
                                +16 Toronto

Whee!
                                "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Working...
                                X