2K24: New York Mets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NakedRicci View Post
    ouch... but may make my $6 Gee more interesting.
    Like keeper interesting.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Zack Wheeler's torn elbow ligament sets him up for Tommy John surgery, ends his season and raises questions of whether the Mets were too aggressive with their young pitcher.

I mean, the blame doesn't fall entirely on the Mets here since Wheeler's tough guy act didn't help, but yikes.

Wheeler only reached 120 pitches once in his 32 starts last year and never threw more, but he threw 100 or more pitches 24 times and 110 or more 13 times. Among pitchers age-24 or younger last season, Wheeler was the only one to throw 110 or more pitches in more than six starts. From June 30 through the end of the season, his final 16 starts, he threw 99 or more pitches every time out and averaged 109 per game.

Ironically, that all happened after Mets manager Terry Collins said that the team planned to be "a little more cautious" about Wheeler's workloads following his 111-pitch shutout of the Marlins. Wheeler was knocked out after two innings in his next start, then threw 111 or more pitches in each of his next three turns, failing to complete the seventh inning in all of them. It seems the Mets failed to identify pitch count as a separate area of concern.
      "There were a lot of games he pitched with his elbow bothering him," Collins told Newsday's Marc Carig on Sunday when it was announced that Wheeler was being sent for an MRI on the joint. Wheeler added that, had it been the regular season, he would have attempted to pitch through the pain that caused him to be scratched from his scheduled exhibition start on Saturday. "Every pitcher in here pitches through pain at some point, so it's just a matter of dealing with it and going out there," Wheeler told Carig. "It wasn't affecting me all that much so I could go out there and compete like I wanted to. So I was going to do it." He added that his regular-season regimen included "anti-inflammatories, treatment, all kinds of stuff."

Comment

• Mets made two trades, acquiring lefthanders Alex Torres from the Padres and Jerry Blevins from the Nats (for Matt den Dekker).

Comment

• They also signed Lagares to a 4-year deal.

Comment

• I'm really hoping Gee gets traded since i took a flier on Raphael Montero. The 24 year old Montero has looked great in spring training and he also pitched well late last season. Surely some team could use a guy like Gee. The Mets just have an obscene amount of young pitching talent.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I have Montero in both my deeper leagues. At minimum he should be a solid MR. The big question is whether Thor jumps the line when an opening pops up.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Rotoworld:
                Mets optioned RHP Rafael Montero to Triple-A Las Vegas.
                The Mets decided to carry Montero as a reliever, but they'll now likely stretch him back out as a starter at Triple-A. He allowed three runs -- two earned -- while striking out seven across 4 1/3 relief innings.
                Apr 17 - 3:03 PM

Rafael Montero will be recalled to start on April 28 in Miami.
                Montero was optioned to Triple-A on Friday in order to get stretched out after beginning the season in the Mets' bullpen. The club plans to use six men for one turn through the rotation, so it could be just a spot start for the young righty. However, if he pitches well it's possible he could bump Dillon Gee.
                Apr 17 - 4:18 PM
                Source: Anthony Rieber on Twitter
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• @SportsTaxMan
                  The #Mets will pay M.Harvey & J.Degrom a combined total of $1,171,000 this yr They will pay Bobby Bonilla $1,193,248 on July 1 this #MLB yr
                  That's got to be one of the best stats of the year.

Comment

• I bet Bobby Bonilla throws some really good July 4 parties.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      I bet Bobby Bonilla throws some really good July 4 parties.
                      Vince Coleman brings the fireworks

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Montero, who just got demoted back to AAA, is headed to get his shoulder checked out. Possible DL stint upcoming.
                        At least the DL would get him off my bench and free up a spot for another player.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Shoulder inflammation for Montero, and a DL stint. Good news for Thor owners I suppose.

Dilson Herrera is being called up to play 2B. Murphy will be moving to 3B for a week until Wright gets back. Seems like a strange move - Murphy just remembered how to hit so I assume he goes back to 2B when Wright is back. I don't think it's a long-term stay for Herrera unless they want to give him a try at SS. Which they really can't, since he'd basically be Flores all over again, good bat, not good enough in the field to play there.

Comment

• Between Murphy and Flores, their defense up the middle has been pretty awful recently, lots of mental lapses and errors on plays even those two would usually make. I think for the moment they want to try to improve that with Herrera, and then it wouldn't surprise me that much if they decide to make a move of some sort soon after Wright returns if things don't improve. I don't really know what that would be though - possibly Flores to the bench and trying Matt Reynolds at SS? Maybe a trade? Hopefully not going back to Tejada.

Comment

• Flores needs to get a night off at minimum. Brutal plays vs. Yankees and Marlins recently that directly cost the Mets games. Of course, Jacob deGrom also needs to learn to shake it off. He is showing real immaturity on the mound (not displays of anger, but these fielding errors are clearly rattling him).

And in other news, it's "Harvey Day" today! Quickly starting to feel like Spahn and Sain and pray for rain.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zupe View Post
                                Between Murphy and Flores, their defense up the middle has been pretty awful recently, lots of mental lapses and errors on plays even those two would usually make. I think for the moment they want to try to improve that with Herrera, and then it wouldn't surprise me that much if they decide to make a move of some sort soon after Wright returns if things don't improve. I don't really know what that would be though - possibly Flores to the bench and trying Matt Reynolds at SS? Maybe a trade? Hopefully not going back to Tejada.
                                If Herrera looks remotely ready, I can definitely see them shipping Murphy out. But where? Would anyone else take him on as a 2B? Does anyone desperately need a 3B? Maybe as a 1B/DH? It's possible that Chase Utley is somewhat available as a 2B/1B option and Aaron Hill is somewhat available as a 2B/3B option, and no contenders have jumped on them yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X