Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
      Why are so many managers former Cs?

J
      The requirements of a good catcher such as handling pitchers, calling pitches, positioning fielders, etc. is very much like serving a managerial apprenticeship. Plus, catchers get extra days off and spend more time than other starters in the dugout observing and listening in on managers and coaches. And the constant strategizing with numerous pitchers both on and off the field keeps catchers more involved in the game than other position players. I wouldn't be surprised if managers asked catchers for their opinions and advice considering the amount of knowledge most catchers possess.
      Last edited by madducks; 11-30-2019, 04:57 PM.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• This is a really cool video of new Pirates manager Derek Shelton and Pirates pitcher Joe Musgrove going out for lunch and talking about baseball, family, and Pittsburgh.

Last edited by madducks; 12-05-2019, 06:33 AM.
        “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• I'm starting to feel sorry for new Pirates manager Derek Shelton. He's probably doomed to suffer through several 100 loss seasons and then get fired. Poor guy doesn't stand a chance. Some opportunity.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Buccos signed Jarrod Dyson to be their starting CF.

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Buccos signed Jarrod Dyson to be their starting CF.
              Doesnt look like the projection systems have updated on this news. Last year in 130 games he has 65 runs and 30 steals (while hitting .230). How close to reality do you think this is for a projection atop the pirates order?

Comment

• Originally posted by Pauly View Post
                Doesnt look like the projection systems have updated on this news. Last year in 130 games he has 65 runs and 30 steals (while hitting .230). How close to reality do you think this is for a projection atop the pirates order?
                My hope is that the top of the order will be Newman/Reynolds, with Dyson towards the bottom. Shelton is a new school manager after all. But I guess you never know. I think the Pirates have some guys who they will want to play in the outfield. So you'll see Oliva and Heredia and Martin getting some time in the outfield too. So if Polanco is healthy (big if), that time will come mostly out of Dyson's PT. Maybe even Jose Osuna if he's still around and they stick Reynolds in center.

So I think Dyson will do what Dyson does, hit .250, get 350-400 ABs and steal 20 bags.

Comment

• Yeah, the Dyson proclamation sings to me of "placeholder." He may start the season in CF, but I doubt he'll get most of the ABs there as the season wears on.

Comment

• I just landed Bryan Reynolds late in the 14th round of a 15-teamer.

His underlying stats really support the avg...in fact he has always hit .300 or better at every stop. Im happy with that but hoping for more than 20 HR and would be happy if he could bump up the SB, and read recently that the Pirates are going to be steal-happy.

Do you Pirates experts see a leap forward in him, or kind of steady eddie more of the same?

Comment

I just landed Bryan Reynolds late in the 14th round of a 15-teamer.

His underlying stats really support the avg...in fact he has always hit .300 or better at every stop. Im happy with that but hoping for more than 20 HR and would be happy if he could bump up the SB, and read recently that the Pirates are going to be steal-happy.

Do you Pirates experts see a leap forward in him, or kind of steady eddie more of the same?
                      I would expect more of the same. The 14th round sounds about right for Reynolds.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I just landed Bryan Reynolds late in the 14th round of a 15-teamer.

Plate discipline and contact are better than people thing... 31.4% o-swing and 87% z-contact rate, meaning he doesn't swing toooo much out of the zone and he hits the pitches in the zone. Still don't see another .387 BABIP, but his xAVG was in the 94th percentile on statcast. I think he can hit close to .300 again but I don't really see a big power spike coming. Still, I think I like him a little more than the projection systems, maybe .295 and 22-23 HR? He does have the sprint speed to run if the Pirates are aggressive on the bases. Maybe he can get to 10-12 steals. If your league is just writing him off as only a BABIP guy then I think there's a chance to buy, but if your league sees him as the next .300-25hr-15sb guy then maybe back down before the price gets out of hand.

I think he's a lot more Corey Dickerson than Starling Marte, if it helps.

Comment

• the last time the Pirates won a playoff series, Jimmy Carter was in the White House while Bobby Bonds was hitting 25 HR for the Indians and his son Barry was in his mid-teens.............
                          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Bryan Reynolds just crushed a Berrios 95 MPH high fastball 414 feet (exit velo 104.5 MPH) to center in Target Field...but it bounced high off the RCF wall. He missed a HR by about two feet to the left, but got the triple and scored on a Polanco sac fly. Maybe, just maybe, he's tapping into his power stroke?

(Gotta love having afternoon baseball on in the background between meetings, as another benefit to working from home)
                            2021 Auction Anatomy
                            2021 Keeper Decisions
                            2020 Auction Anatomy
                            2020 Pre-Auction
                            2015 Auction Anatomy
                            2014 Auction Anatomy
                            2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                            RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

Working...
                            X