No announcement yet.

2K24: Pittsburgh Pirates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Buccos have won the bidding on Korean power hitting SS Jung-ho Kang.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      The Buccos have won the bidding on Korean power hitting SS Jung-ho Kang.

rotoworld: Kang batted .356/.459/.739 with 40 home runs and 117 RBI in 117 games this past season for the Nexen Heroes of the Korea Baseball Organization.

Not sure what the talent level is in the KBO. But, those numbers look good in any league.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
        rotoworld: Kang batted .356/.459/.739 with 40 home runs and 117 RBI in 117 games this past season for the Nexen Heroes of the Korea Baseball Organization.

Not sure what the talent level is in the KBO. But, those numbers look good in any league.
        well, here's one data point: Eric Thames hit .343/.422/.688 with 37 HR and 121 RBI in 125 games.

see http://www.baseball-reference.com/mi...at&id=867da834 for more. Felix Pie!
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

• Can he field? Thames hit 262/313/456 one season back when he was in the majors. Put that at shortstop and it's pretty interesting.

Comment

• There seem to be major questions about whether he can stay at SS, might have to move to 2B/3B. Questions on the hitting side as well. Basically, he's a big question mark all around :P

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Can he field? Thames hit 262/313/456 one season back when he was in the majors. Put that at shortstop and it's pretty interesting.
              It's worth remembering both that Thames had that season in 2011 when the league OPS was .730 compared to the league OPS of .706 in 2014, and also that Thames put up that line in 362 AB but his career batting line in 633 AB was .250/.296/.431.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

• Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                It's worth remembering both that Thames had that season in 2011 when the league OPS was .730 compared to the league OPS of .706 in 2014, and also that Thames put up that line in 362 AB but his career batting line in 633 AB was .250/.296/.431.
                OK, Eric Thames put up a 105 OPS+ in 2011. Put *that* at SS and it looks pretty good.

Jordy Mercer put up a 95 with respectable defense and nobody was complaining.

None of Josh Harrison, Mercer or Neil Walker have ever put up a 600 AB season. So having a good utility guy might not be the worst thing in the world. Whether the Pirates need to pay 5-6mil for the privilege is a different question.

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  Really interesting article about Korean and Japanese players. Kang looks like a beast according to these comparative numbers. The article also makes me wonder if Wladimir Balentien will ever come back to MLB.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/japan...ts-in-context/
                  Excellent article. I saw a good number of "yeah, I bought into the hype when he came up and failed in MLB" names. Thanks for the link!
                  Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

• Pirates trade RF Travis Snider to the Orioles for LHP prospect Stephen Tarpley and a player to be named later. The 22 year old Tarpley has a 3.31 era and 1.33 whip along with a 85/27 k/bb ratio in his first 87 minor league innings. He pitched in low A ball last year.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Jung-Ho Kang - his ADP is higher than Jordy Mercer. http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/adp/ss.php Thoughts?

Comment

• Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        Jung-Ho Kang - his ADP is higher than Jordy Mercer. http://www.fantasypros.com/mlb/adp/ss.php Thoughts?
                        I don't think anyone knows what to do with them at this point. Mercer has a better glove but maybe the Pirates can cover that with shifts. Kang has experience playing multiple positions, and Mercer has only played a very rare amount of 2B. They're both righties. The Pirates already have Corey Hart to platoon with Pedro at 1B. They can play Kang at 3B and move J-Hey back to his utility role, but a) they need his bat in the lineup every day and b) he is probably their leadoff hitter unless Polanco has an amazing spring.

The most likely outcome is probably Mercer and Kang get between 400-500 ABs.

Comment

• This article is one of 13 produced for FanGraphs+. We are running it for free today as an example of the quality of work you will have access to by purchasing our $6 project. Two of the additional 12…

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
                            Mercer has very little upside and significant downside, both in terms of risk of losing playing time and drop off in offense. Kang, while a relative unknown, clearly has much more upside than does Mercer. A lot will come down to defense, how the Pirates value it, and how Kang can deliver in that realm. Kang should be drafted higher than Mercer, imo.
                            As a Mercer owner on the fence (pre-Kang signing) of keeping him, the decision to cut is now an easy one. Spring training should give us an idea of how the bidding will go on auction day for each one of them. I suspect Kang will still be overbid and Mercer maybe a good dollar days pick up in deeper leagues.

Comment

• The fact that the Pirates and Pedro Alvarez couldn't agree on a deal when they were only $500,000 apart tells me that there is growing animosity between the two sides. Alvarez also refused the Pirates request to play winter ball to work on his defense at his new position. Don't be surprised if he gets dealt this year. Maybe even before the season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Cross Vance Worley off your sleeper list. Jeff Locke was named the #5 starter. Liriano, Cole, Morton, and AJ aren't the most durable foursome, but it still stinks for Worley.

Comment

Working...
                                X