X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Looks like the Jung Ho Kang injury will carry over into 2016 as well:

Rotoworld
    Jung Ho Kang is expected to be sidelined for the next 6-8 months after undergoing surgery on Thursday to repair a torn lateral meniscus in his left knee and a fractured left tibia.
    Damn! He was having a great season, and was one of my must-gets for 2016. Oh well.

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
      Damn! He was having a great season, and was one of my must-gets for 2016. Oh well.
      Yeah, for me, he's even MORE of a must-get for next season, because he'll likely be a little discounted.

Comment

• Cheap fucking shot. I don't care if it was legal.

Kicking the leg out like that is ridiculous, done by anybody.
        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• I was listening to the Pirates pre-game radio show tonight and former MLB and Korean League pitcher C.J. Nitkowski called in to discuss the Jung Ho Kang injury. He was a teammate of Jung Ho during the 2010 season in Korea and also pitched for the Pirates AAA team in 2005. Apparently, Clint Hurdle consulted with Nitkowski and also with MLB officials about the play in which Kang was injured. Supposedly MLB officials may be looking into taking similar measures for middle infielders as they did with catchers after the Buster Posey injury a few years ago. I wish there was a link because it was a great interview.

Nitkowski talked about how the younger Kang in 2010 was a solid but not yet great player and he compared the MLB vs Korean styles of base running. He said that the one thing that was immediately noticeable in Korea was that the Korean players avoided making any contact with the infielders or catchers while running the bases. And if an American or Latino playing over there tried to run over the catcher or take out the middle infielder to break up the double play it would often set off a benches clearing brawl. That type of play that is commonplace in MLB is frowned upon in Korea. Surely Kang was made aware in spring training of the differences in MLB play. But his Korean Baseball instincts probably took over while trying to turn the double play against Chicago, as he barely tried to avoid Coghlan who was coming right at him. I have a feeling that Kang may have played his last game at 2B/SS and may only play 3B in the future. But from what i've seen so far, i think 3B is his strongest defensive position anyway.
          Last edited by madducks; 09-19-2015, 12:17 AM.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Reaction from Korea:

According to baseball writer Peter Gammons, when Kang's agent, Alan Nero, heard of death threats being made to Coghlan in South Korea, he called Kang and produced the statement released Thursday to absolve Coghlan of fault.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• With the Brewers comeback win against St Louis today, the Pirates-Cardinals 3 game series starting Monday is going to be epic.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• It was so hard to watch, such a terrible way for such a great season to end. This group should still be very good next year, but in baseball anything can happen and the Bucs only get a few more years with Cutch. Please push all in, sign a real first baseman so we don't have to play these damn lineup games. I am just so disappointed that last night was the only playoff baseball I will care about this year, just feels like the season really didn't mean anything. 98 wins and an empty post season doesn't really make me want to remember this season fondly. F you Jobu!

Comment

• The Pirates will most likely have to reconstruct their #1 bullpen this winter as Soria, Blanton, and Bastardo are free agents and Melancon, Watson, and Hughes are going to warrant huge raises in arbitration. Especially Melancon.

Two of their top four starting pitchers could be gone with Burnett retiring and Happ also hitting free agency this winter.

Hitters eligible for arbitration include Cervelli, Alvarez, and Walker.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• But but but Arrieta got all the calls!!! That's why the Pirates lost.

Pirates fans are insufferable. I like the Bucs but can't stand the fans.
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

The Pirates will most likely have to reconstruct their #1 bullpen this winter as Soria, Blanton, and Bastardo are free agents and Melancon, Watson, and Hughes are going to warrant huge raises in arbitration. Especially Melancon.

Two of their top four starting pitchers could be gone with Burnett retiring and Happ also hitting free agency this winter.

They need to re-sign Happ. Hopefully Happ agrees that his turnaround was aided greatly by Ray Searage and he stays with the Pirates.

I think Walker will be gone come 2016.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        But but but Arrieta got all the calls!!! That's why the Pirates lost.

Pirates fans are insufferable. I like the Bucs but can't stand the fans.
                        Cole got the same calls as Arrieta. But, Arrieta just simply had better location with his pitches while Cole missed too many. Especially to Schwarber. Him and Bryant seem more like 10 year veterans than rookies.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Pirates will most likely have to reconstruct their #1 bullpen this winter as Soria, Blanton, and Bastardo are free agents and Melancon, Watson, and Hughes are going to warrant huge raises in arbitration. Especially Melancon.

I think Pedro is gone. Is Josh Bell ready to take over every day at 1B? I bet they bring in a veteran to start the season. Bullpen will be fine - just let Searage go shopping in the bargain bin again. I do think Happ will come back - something like 2yr/12mil will probably be hard for him to turn down. He's no great shakes but I do think he's got the potential to be better than Jeff Locke. That was basically how they got Liriano - got him cheap when he was a mess, then signed him long-term when he was sorted out. They've been very reluctant to sign Walker to a long-term deal despite him being a hometown hero. He'll be back next year. Having Kang out for the start of the season next year makes things a little tricky.

Cole, Liriano, Morton, Happ, and some combination of Glasnow, Locke, Taillon, Kingham and Searage's yearly projects isn't a great rotation, but they need to start figuring out what they have in some of these kids if they want to keep up with the Cubs in the long run.

Comment

• I agree that Pedro will be traded. Maybe for prospects. The Pirates will be relying heavily on Kang when he returns to help replace Pedro's power in the middle of the order. Michael Morse (his defense can't be worse than Pedro right?) is signed for next year at $8 million and Bell has yet to hit for as much power as the Pirates had originally expected. So, i'm sure he'll get another half season or so in AAA. I'm now thinking that the Pirates will resign Walker to a one year deal and make him a qualifying offer next winter to get the draft pick compensation. Although the Pittsburgh native Walker could complicate things by passing on free agency and take the qualifying offer. If Walker has any more back problems next season, the Pirates will probably just let him leave without making an offer.

I also think Happ will be back. With Glasnow and maybe Taillon joining the rotation in the second half of next season, Morton and Locke could both end up in the bullpen before season's end. I expect the Pirates to pony up with big raises to Melancon, Watson, and Hughes as top bullpen arms are now more coveted than ever in MLB and all three were critical to this team winning 98 games.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              Cheap fucking shot. I don't care if it was legal.

Kicking the leg out like that is ridiculous, done by anybody.
                              And now Utley does it to Ruben Tejada, who suffered a fractured right fibula. More than likely we'll see new rules for sliding on the bases next season.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Almost posted this video a few weeks ago but i figured it was just the Pirate fan in me that thought it was special. Now that it has won an award i have to reconsider. Just look at how this young fan is overcome by emotion when his favorite player takes a few seconds to acknowledge him.

By Adam Berry / MLB.com | @adamdberry | November 20th, 2015

PITTSBURGH -- Andrew McCutchen helped paint one of the season's most enduring images on May 30 at Petco Park. It wasn't a walk-off home run or a game-saving grab in center field. In fact, it happened after the final out of the Pirates' 5-2 win.

McCutchen rushed back to the outfield wall and handed his batting gloves to two children who had been cheering for him all game, prompting a joyous outburst from the young Pirates fans. McCutchen's postgame gift surely created a lifelong memory, and on Friday it was named the Best Player-Fan Interaction in the Esurance MLB Awards.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                                X