2K24: Los Angeles Dodgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
    He is truly one of the very greatest pitchers in baseball history - to date - and it's only his short resume that precludes a claim as greatest of all time. That's right, I said it.
    That, and maybe a post-season resume.

No arguments here. Kershaw is truly special.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      That, and maybe a post-season resume.

No arguments here. Kershaw is truly special.
      Yeah, it annoys me that he hasn't done better in the post season, because that is what is going to haunt his legacy with ill-informed talking heads like the PTI crew and other such pundits. I mean, if it continues for his entire career, it will be a legitimate blemish, but I don't think it will. He is such a joy to watch pitch, and I have a special fondness for him, as I had him in my minors and enjoyed his services for several years. He is even better now than when I got to have him. Since he left my team, he has been the highest paid player in my league. Every year, I've been involved in a bidding war where the price gets to insane levels, and I bow out. Every year, I wish I paid the insane price.
      Last edited by Sour Masher; 05-18-2016, 07:47 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
        Yeah, it annoys me that he hasn't done better in the post season, because that is what is going to haunt his legacy with ill-informed talking heads like the PTI crew and other such pundits. I mean, if it continues for his entire career, it will be a legitimate blemish, but I don't think it will. He is such a joy to watch pitch, and I have a special fondness for him, as I had him in my minors and enjoyed his services for several years. He is even better know that when I got to have him. Since he left my team, he has been the highest paid player in my league. Every year, I've been involved in a bidding war where the price gets to insane levels, and I buy out. Every year, I wish I paid the insane price.
        As a Giants fan, I feel I know Kershaw as well as anyone. Over these last couple of years, the many Kershaw/Bumgarner matchups we've been able to watch ring historical to me. Perhaps the best SP matchup narrative in all of baseball. Kershaw, as the best pitcher of his generation, or perhaps, ever... versus Bumgarner, as the best post-season pitcher of his generation, or perhaps, ever. As someone who roots for the Giants, but grew up a Dodgers fan, those games are exciting; no matter how the score turns out, the fans win.

I don't think he needs much post-season to cement his legacy, but he does need some to stop the talking heads.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Yeah, it annoys me that he hasn't done better in the post season, because that is what is going to haunt his legacy with ill-informed talking heads like the PTI crew and other such pundits. I mean, if it continues for his entire career, it will be a legitimate blemish, but I don't think it will. He is such a joy to watch pitch, and I have a special fondness for him, as I had him in my minors and enjoyed his services for several years. He is even better now than when I got to have him. Since he left my team, he has been the highest paid player in my league. Every year, I've been involved in a bidding war where the price gets to insane levels, and I bow out. Every year, I wish I paid the insane price.
          I kept him for $65 in 13 team league with a $300 budget. I may keep him next year for $70.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505

He is truly one of the very greatest pitchers in baseball history - to date - and it's only his short resume that precludes a claim as greatest of all time. That's right, I said it.
            the guys on MLB Now were pimping him as the greatest player, not pitcher, player of his era, if you rate him by distance from the rest of the pack, they are certainly right....he's Bondsian....
            "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

As a Giants fan, I feel I know Kershaw as well as anyone. Over these last couple of years, the many Kershaw/Bumgarner matchups we've been able to watch ring historical to me. Perhaps the best SP matchup narrative in all of baseball. Kershaw, as the best pitcher of his generation, or perhaps, ever... versus Bumgarner, as the best post-season pitcher of his generation, or perhaps, ever. As someone who roots for the Giants, but grew up a Dodgers fan, those games are exciting; no matter how the score turns out, the fans win.

I don't think he needs much post-season to cement his legacy, but he does need some to stop the talking heads.
              I'll take Bob Gibson, thanks...9 starts, all in the WS, 8 complete games, 7-2 record, 1.89 ERA, .889 WHIP, 10.2 K's per 9...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                I'll take Bob Gibson, thanks...9 starts, all in the WS, 8 complete games, 7-2 record, 1.89 ERA, .889 WHIP, 10.2 K's per 9...
                Or maybe Mariano Rivera, 0.70 ERA in 141 IP with an 8-1 record. He did get to feast on the ALDS teams with a 0.32 ERA in those games vs a 0.99 ERA in the WS.
                I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Turner still sucks
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                    Kershaw

88 k's

4 BB
                    Those four umpires should be fired. It's obvious that they don't know what they're doing.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      I would never disparage the Great Gibson, but Bumgarner's numbers, in half of a career are comparable: 12 starts. 4 in the WS (4-0 record), 7-3 postseason record, 2.14 ERA, .883 WHIP, 7.8 k/9

At this point, I might give Gibson the edge, but if Bumgarner gets another Series like the last few, I think he's the best ever.

Comment

I would never disparage the Great Gibson, but Bumgarner's numbers, in half of a career are comparable: 12 starts. 4 in the WS (4-0 record), 7-3 postseason record, 2.14 ERA, .883 WHIP, 7.8 k/9

At this point, I might give Gibson the edge, but if Bumgarner gets another Series like the last few, I think he's the best ever.
                        I think that you have to fo WS to WS...if Gibby had Divisional games to pitch in, his counting numbers would undoubtedly be much better. But I'll grudgingly agree that MadBum has a legitimate shot if the Giants get in a few more before his career is done.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                          Turner still sucks
                          In my NL 4x4 league, I'm considering dropping Turner when Yangervis Solarte comes off the DL this weekend or early next week.

Am I panicking early, or will Solarte have more upside for the remainder of the season?

Comment

• Originally posted by Neilage View Post
                            In my NL 4x4 league, I'm considering dropping Turner when Yangervis Solarte comes off the DL this weekend or early next week.

Am I panicking early, or will Solarte have more upside for the remainder of the season?
                            That's a way overreaction - Turner's still working his way back from knee surgery and has much more upside than Solarte who is more of a filler type.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                              That's a way overreaction - Turner's still working his way back from knee surgery and has much more upside than Solarte who is more of a filler type.
                              Thanks for talking me off the ledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                                Turner is a 31 year-old journeyman who is coming off surgery after his only very good season. I see near-zero upside.

Solarte is a late-bloomer himself, but is only 28 and has considerably more upside than Turner, in my opinion.

They are probably a push for this year, players of similar value, but I'd rather own Solarte because there is the -albeit slim- chance that he shows something we haven't seen yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X