2K24: Boston Red Sox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
    Yeah 5/90 sounded like a real bargain compared to the contracts folks have been getting this year. I am surprised he couldn't get a 5th year too, given the deals being handed out, but this deal represents the injury risk he embodies.
    I thought I read that there is a vesting option for a 5th year at another $22M.
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Rumors have them going hard for Hamels...with several spots now blocked, it makes sense. Betts, Bradley, some of the young pitching...they've got plenty to make it happen and still sign Lester.
      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
      -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
        Rumors have them going hard for Hamels...with several spots now blocked, it makes sense. Betts, Bradley, some of the young pitching...they've got plenty to make it happen and still sign Lester.
        I can see signing Hanley for 3B but to play him in LF seems extremely stupid. I don't agree that should trade Xander or Betts but would probably prefer to keep Betts. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
          Yup, looks like the Red Sox are going to try and sell their soul to rock and roll for the next 3-4 years. I'd bet on Xander, Bradley, one of the 3B, and Owens to go get Hamels.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            Yup, looks like the Red Sox are going to try and sell their soul to rock and roll for the next 3-4 years. I'd bet on Xander, Bradley, one of the 3B, and Owens to go get Hamels.
            It should be noted that I don't have a dog in this fight (i.e. I'm not a Boston or Philly fan), but it would be batshit insane to deal Bogaerts for Hamels in any capacity. There's just no way that happens at all. Hamels has some value in trade since he's good, but he's got four years left (plus an option), a lot of mileage on that arm, and he's not exactly a bargain at $22.5 million per year. Owens, one of the 3B, and Bradley sounds like a great haul for the Phils if they could get it, but there's no way they get more than that. And there's certainly no chance Bogaerts gets dealt in that deal at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
              It should be noted that I don't have a dog in this fight (i.e. I'm not a Boston or Philly fan), but it would be batshit insane to deal Bogaerts for Hamels in any capacity.
              What if Philly ate all of Hamels contract, giving the Sox Hamels plus the money to sign Lester and Shields?
              Might cost them Bogaerts, Bradley, one of the 3B and maybe a couple more prospects.

Comment

It should be noted that I don't have a dog in this fight (i.e. I'm not a Boston or Philly fan), but it would be batshit insane to deal Bogaerts for Hamels in any capacity. There's just no way that happens at all. Hamels has some value in trade since he's good, but he's got four years left (plus an option), a lot of mileage on that arm, and he's not exactly a bargain at $22.5 million per year. Owens, one of the 3B, and Bradley sounds like a great haul for the Phils if they could get it, but there's no way they get more than that. And there's certainly no chance Bogaerts gets dealt in that deal at all.
                I beg to differ, and I'm not a Boston or Philly fan either. IMO, they won't get Hamels without dealing Bogaerts. And Hamels money is far better than what they'll have to pay one of the big three FA pitchers this year. I'd way, way rather have Hamels at 4/96 with an option than Jon Lester at 6/132 or whatever other madness he'll command. Or Shields at 5/100.

If I had any doubt about who might not go in that deal, it would be Owens.

The Sox might go for someone else if they really don't want to deal Bogaerts.

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                  What if Philly ate all of Hamels contract, giving the Sox Hamels plus the money to sign Lester and Shields?
                  Might cost them Bogaerts, Bradley, one of the 3B and maybe a couple more prospects.
                  Now that I could see working out for all involved. I don't even think they'd have to eat all of it -- maybe just half+?

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    I beg to differ, and I'm not a Boston or Philly fan either. IMO, they won't get Hamels without dealing Bogaerts. And Hamels money is far better than what they'll have to pay one of the big three FA pitchers this year. I'd way, way rather have Hamels at 4/96 with an option than Jon Lester at 6/132 or whatever other madness he'll command. Or Shields at 5/100.

If I had any doubt about who might not go in that deal, it would be Owens.

The Sox might go for someone else if they really don't want to deal Bogaerts.
                    Reason #1 I don't see it: Hamels' money plus Bogaert's lost value is greater in overall $ than Lester at 6/$132 (that's why you've heard that the Red Sox have made that kind of offer)

Reason #2: Hanley at shortstop for another four years? And without a solid backup, especially considering Hanley's injury history?

I just don't see Xander leaving unless some team makes it exceptionally attractive for the Red Sox. As it is, buying a free agent pitcher makes a helluva lot more sense than dealing a young, promising middle infielder.

Comment

So...if I agree with you, will you do Pitching Tiers this year ?

Comment

Reason #1 I don't see it: Hamels' money plus Bogaert's lost value is greater in overall $ than Lester at 6/$132 (that's why you've heard that the Red Sox have made that kind of offer)

Reason #2: Hanley at shortstop for another four years? And without a solid backup, especially considering Hanley's injury history?

I just don't see Xander leaving unless some team makes it exceptionally attractive for the Red Sox. As it is, buying a free agent pitcher makes a helluva lot more sense than dealing a young, promising middle infielder.
                        So if they trade Xander they aren't allowed to trade for another shortstop? Is their a clause in Hanley's contract that says he has to play shortstop if they trade Xander? See where I'm going with this?

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                          So if they trade Xander they aren't allowed to trade for another shortstop? Is their a clause in Hanley's contract that says he has to play shortstop if they trade Xander? See where I'm going with this?
                          I hope they keep Betts and trade Xander. I hope even more that the Cubs get Hamels.

In reality I think I lose both of these.

The Red Sox are actually doing what I was hoping for from the Cubs. Going and buying the free agents their club needs to be good. And trying to trade excess for something to improve their team.

Comment

They're truly crazy if they trade Bogaerts. Would be like history repeating itself (Hanley)

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                              They're truly crazy if they trade Bogaerts. Would be like history repeating itself (Hanley)
                              But it would be good history because the Hanley trade brought them to the World Series. No one in Boston regrets that trade.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                                I hope they keep Betts and trade Xander. I hope even more that the Cubs get Hamels.

In reality I think I lose both of these.

The Red Sox are actually doing what I was hoping for from the Cubs. Going and buying the free agents their club needs to be good. And trying to trade excess for something to improve their team.
                                I own Hamels in my NL only league so I want the Dodgers to trade for Hamels. I would settle for the Cubs. I also own Swihart in my AL only league I can only assume that Hamels will go to Boston with Swihart in the deal.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                                X