Clear All

• Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
    Current blue jays on the dl:

tulo
    donaldson
    pompey
    happ
    aa.ron sanchez

Four pretty important pieces and a (young...with some potential) back up outfielder

How do the jays fight their way back from this 4-12 start?

Hope they can; they seem like my fantasy team.

BTW nice one on "aa.ron" (Key & Peele).

Comment

• Moved Pompey to the 60-day DL. I'll bet the Jays won't be very enthusiastic about their players going to the WBC in the future.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• What can you Toronto fans tell me about Biagini as a starter? I read the BP article that warns against his velocity drop during games and his lack of "blending" but his stuff seems pretty good, as does his GB%. I'm curious what the long-term prognosis might be here.

Comment

• Originally posted by SlideRule View Post
          What can you Toronto fans tell me about Biagini as a starter? I read the BP article that warns against his velocity drop during games and his lack of "blending" but his stuff seems pretty good, as does his GB%. I'm curious what the long-term prognosis might be here.
          '

I'm not a Tranna fan, but the velocity drop is steep after 3-4 IP. Maybe he's just not fully stretched out yet, but he sure strikes me as a guy better out of the pen who can give a couple innings or handle high leverage situations with runners on base.
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• Long term I like him as a starter - he changes speeds well and has very good movement on his stuff. But he hasn't started for a few years now so I expect his ramp up time will be significant... I might not be a buyer until next season. I know even last year the team was considering him as a starter so I expect they'll give him a pretty long leash before moving him back to the pen.

Note though that I've been on vacation the past few weeks in europe so haven't seen any of his starts this month... I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in my own opinion
            It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• some injury updates (from this very good Jays blog) ...
              Francisco Liriano: Liriano has been on the 10-day disabled list since May 10 with left shoulder inflammation. John Gibbons said yesterday Liriano will be activated and is in line to pitch Friday’s game against the Yankees.

Dalton Pompey: Injured during the World Baseball Classic, Dalton Pompey is finally beginning his rehab stint with Single-A Dunedin. He won’t be added to the Blue Jays when he’s ready to come back, and will instead head to Triple-A Buffalo.

Steve Pearce: According to Gibbons, Steve Pearce isn’t close to returning, and will be sidelined for another few weeks at least.

Aaron Sanchez: He’s on his third different disabled list stint of the season for the same issue, and I imagine the Jays are going to take it slowly this time. His first DL stint was 15 days, the second was 13 days, and he’s only made five starts on the season. According to Arash Madani, he isn’t throwing or anything right now, so this could be a while.

Anthony Alford: Hurt himself against Milwaukee and will certainly be going back down to Double-A when he’s ready and won’t be back on the Blue Jays barring another catastrophe.

Darrell Ceciliani: Like Alford, Ceciliani will return to the minors after he’s activated. He’s on the 40-man roster, and could theoretically be moved to the 60-day DL if it’s advantageous to the Jays and their 40-man roster needs.
              It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• After another losing series for the Jays, this time against the mighty White Sox, the local blogs & writers are really all over the map today on whether this team should add a player or two, or blow the team up into full rebuild mode. So since I'm obviously a biased homer (really, I don't think I can be objective with this team), I have a couple of questions:

could Osuna get us Victor Robles from Washington?
                could Donaldson get us both of Reyes & Weaver from St. Louis?

If yes, then Happ, Estrada, Liriano, & maybe even Martin & Tulo could add more solid prospects (Kyle Tucker, maybe even Brendan Rodgers) ... if we could start there, this could go from one of the oldest teams to a team with a pretty good 1-2 year outlook. We've had a good run the past couple of years but I'm increasingly on the blow-the-team-up side.

Comment

• Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                  After another losing series for the Jays, this time against the mighty White Sox, the local blogs & writers are really all over the map today on whether this team should add a player or two, or blow the team up into full rebuild mode. So since I'm obviously a biased homer (really, I don't think I can be objective with this team), I have a couple of questions:

If yes, then Happ, Estrada, Liriano, & maybe even Martin & Tulo could add more solid prospects (Kyle Tucker, maybe even Brendan Rodgers) ... if we could start there, this could go from one of the oldest teams to a team with a pretty good 1-2 year outlook. We've had a good run the past couple of years but I'm increasingly on the blow-the-team-up side.

I'd have to say no to both.

Robles is a Top 10 prospect in all of MLB, I'd have to imagine that makes him worth more than a closer with 170 IP under his belt. Chapman and Miller fetched a decent haul, but they are far more established. My guess is Washington will try to pay less for a closer like a Robertson or Jim Johnson.

Donaldson is a free agent after next year and that drops his value considerably. Trading two pitching prospects for that just doesn't make financial sense, IMO.

Comment

After another losing series for the Jays, this time against the mighty White Sox, the local blogs & writers are really all over the map today on whether this team should add a player or two, or blow the team up into full rebuild mode. So since I'm obviously a biased homer (really, I don't think I can be objective with this team), I have a couple of questions:

I'd agree with Revo, no to both the specific questions. As to whether you can get Tucker or Rodgers, I'd also say no. Rodgers is probably going to be a top 5 prospect next season, and Tucker is probably top 20...none of the pitchers are more than a playoff #3, and probably #4, and Tulo and Martin just don't move the needle anymore.

Can they get good prospects? Sure, but to get a gem, they'd have to really hunt, and go for very young talent.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

• it's increasing apparent that my hopes for any kind of a significant rebuild won't be happening - the only names being tossed around as trade candidates today are Joe Smith & Liriano, which aren't likely to restock the minors significantly; maybe mgmt will surprise with something big today, but odds are that this lost season will be followed by, well, another lost season.

Comment

it's increasing apparent that my hopes for any kind of a significant rebuild won't be happening - the only names being tossed around as trade candidates today are Joe Smith & Liriano, which aren't likely to restock the minors significantly; maybe mgmt will surprise with something big today, but odds are that this lost season will be followed by, well, another lost season.
                        Pirates had 20 of those in a row.
                        "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

• Liriano to the Astros, apparently for an outfielder

Comment

Liriano to the Astros, apparently for an outfielder
                            For Nori Aoki and a minor leaguer

Comment

• Seems reasonable.

Comment

• Not exactly like the Astros are going for the throat with this move...
                                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Working...
                                X