Need Minor League Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trader Mac View Post
    Yes, only the players that made their debut in 2013 are eligible to be drafted. The good news is the team I am taking over is so bad that I will have the 1st pick in next year's draft among the players who make their debut in 2014.
    Seems strange that you dont get the 1st pick until next year instead of this year. Has your 2013 Stratomatic season been played yet or dont you play it until next year?

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
      Seems strange that you dont get the 1st pick until next year instead of this year. Has your 2013 Stratomatic season been played yet or dont you play it until next year?
      With Strat you are always playing the previous year. So next year (2014) we will be playing using 2013 stats. Since my team finished last this year, the next year I will have the 1st pick. Hope that makes sense.
      拖裤子,
      放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

Profar - Keep
        Vitters - Cuttable
        Lavarnway - Cuttable
        Olt - Keep. I'm not a strong believer, but he'll get a shot.
        Pacheco - I'm not as high on him as others. I'd consider him cuttable.
        Eaton - I like him more than others do and I'd keep him.
        Calhoun - Cuttable.
        F Martinez - Cuttable
        Axelrod - Cuttable though he has a job.
        de Vries - Cuttable
        R Delgado - I'd have to get someone really good to cut him.
        Lyles - Cuttable though he has a job, though I'd cut Axelrod before Lyles.
        W Peralta - Keep. Pile of natural talent. Baseball IQ has improved from low-grade to below average.
        Straily - Keep
        Thornburg - Cuttable. Did better on return, but smoke and mirrors, IMO.
        Cingrani - Keep. I'd keep him with Dusty Baker as his coach, but with Baker gone, he's a must keep
        rhd and JC gave excellent lists. I like D'Arnaud better than Gyorko or Arenado, but that's quibbling.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

With Strat you are always playing the previous year. So next year (2014) we will be playing using 2013 stats. Since my team finished last this year, the next year I will have the 1st pick. Hope that makes sense.
          So how does it work? Do you just get exactly the same stats that the player put up exactly a year earlier? E.g., on 8/17/13 Profar went 2-4, 2R 2 RBI, SB. So on 8/17/14, these stats get added to your team totals? And do you have a regular draft or are all the available desirable players taken and you just make trades or put in waiver claims in order to improve your team?

Comment

So how does it work? Do you just get exactly the same stats that the player put up exactly a year earlier? E.g., on 8/17/13 Profar went 2-4, 2R 2 RBI, SB. So on 8/17/14, these stats get added to your team totals? And do you have a regular draft or are all the available desirable players taken and you just make trades or put in waiver claims in order to improve your team?
            Strat is a card and dice game. The cards are based on the previous year's stats which supposedly will result in stats close to what they performed the previous year. Of course, things change such as how managers use them, ball park factors, etc where the result will not match exactly the previous year's stats. I don't think I'm making any sense, but maybe it will help some. It actually is a real fun way to play a baseball game that is a lot different than roto.

I used to play Pursue the Pennant in college which is very similar.
            拖裤子,
            放屁

Literally means "pulling your pants down to fart" which is a Chinese idiom for "wasted effort." Makes sense to me!

Comment

There is a good, MLB-ready pitching prospect on your September callup list that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet.
              "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
                There is a good, MLB-ready pitching prospect on your September callup list that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet.
                Yeah, 2-3 of them. Ventura is probably who you were referring to, but also Erik Johnson and maybe Jimmy Nelson too, who did very well in 2 MLB starts.

Comment

Yeah, 2-3 of them. Ventura is probably who you were referring to, but also Erik Johnson and maybe Jimmy Nelson too, who did very well in 2 MLB starts.
                  Is that whom you are referring to KS?
                  拖裤子,
                  放屁

Comment

No, Lavarnway and Vitters dont really project as MLB starters at this point.
                    rhd--I'm curious as to how you see their careers turning out. Do you see them as platoon players? Bench players? I looked over their minor league stats and they didn't look great, but decent.
                    拖裤子,
                    放屁

Comment

So, I'm looking at my list and who I think would be the best to pick with the 13th overall pick. I believe Puig, Fernandez, Myers, D'Arnuad, Rendon, Cole, Gyroko, Arenado, Wacha, and Ryu definitely won't reach me. That leaves Wheeler, Yelich, Bogaerts and T Walker as possibilities. How would you rank those four? Or is there someone from the master list that I am missing who I should consider at #13? I am not really considering Hamilton though I hope someone will take him early bases on reputation alone as that will give me another player to consider. Thanks for all your guys help. I really do appreciate it seeing I've been out of the loop with minor leaguers for the past couple years.
                      Last edited by Trader Mac; 10-31-2013, 03:12 AM. Reason: Can't count
                      拖裤子,
                      放屁

Comment

Bogaerts probably ought to be an option. Maybe Gattis although I don't know what Strat thinks of his fielding or how hard it is to get a decent catcher. But this is some of my anti-pitching prospect bias coming through.

Also note that Cingrani was significantly better than Wheeler in FIP/xFIP in the same number of innings this season.
                        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          Bogaerts probably ought to be an option. Maybe Gattis although I don't know what Strat thinks of his fielding or how hard it is to get a decent catcher. But this is some of my anti-pitching prospect bias coming through.

Also note that Cingrani was significantly better than Wheeler in FIP/xFIP in the same number of innings this season.
                          In this league, people always overpay for pitching so sometimes its good to get a young, much cheaper player than having to break the bank for a starter. I don't in Strat Gattis would be that valuable as OBP is very important. Bogearts is an interesting possibility. Do we know where Profar where play in 2014? Will he be at 2nd or back to SS? That would also have a bearing on my decision if they both play the same position.
                          拖裤子,
                          放屁

Comment

rhd--I'm curious as to how you see their careers turning out. Do you see them as platoon players? Bench players? I looked over their minor league stats and they didn't look great, but decent.
                            Lavarnway will be a backup catcher. I still hold out some hope for Vitters, but he doesnt figure to be the everyday 3Bman for the Cubs. His plate discipline has been one of the main concerns w him but it's gotten a lot better over the past 2 years. But last year was a lost season for him. The Cubs needs someone other than Valbuena and Ransom to man 3B, but the first guy to get a shot probably is Olt at this point. Long-term, it will be Bryant or maybe Baez if he cant stick at short. Vitters has actually hit fairly well in the minors, but hasnt had the standout season that you expect from a former #3 overall selection. He might benefit by going to another org.

Comment

So, I'm looking at my list and who I think would be the best to pick with the 13th overall pick. I believe Puig, Fernandez, Myers, D'Arnuad, Rendon, Cole, Gyroko, Arenado, Wacha, and Ryu definitely won't reach me. That leaves Wheeler, Yelich, Bogaerts and T Walker as possibilities. How would you rank those three?
                              I would lean towards Yelich among those four. If you like Bogaerts tho, I dont think you'll have to worry about Profar playing the same position. as he will play 2B w Andrus at SS. Bogaerts might end up playing a lot of 3B also. What are the requirements for position eligibility?

Comment

I would lean towards Yelich among those four. If you like Bogaerts tho, I dont think you'll have to worry about Profar playing the same position. as he will play 2B w Andrus at SS. Bogaerts might end up playing a lot of 3B also. What are the requirements for position eligibility?
                                Whatever positions they played in 2013 is what they can play in Strat. Granted if a player only plays a couple games at a position, his fielding won't be very good in the game.
                                拖裤子,
                                放屁

Comment

Working...
                                X