2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    Yanks with a nice ML signing of Andrew Bailey.....ya know, just in case D-Rob isn't Mo after all.
    Being that Bailey is now not expected back until September, maybe it wasn't such a good signing after all......

Comment

Being that Bailey is now not expected back until September, maybe it wasn't such a good signing after all......
      How dare you question the official doctrine of Yankee infallibility!

I still think it can be a good deal for them, IF he gets healthy, IF he shows signs of recovering his Oakland form, IF he re-ups for 2015, IF IF IF...

And let's face it, if there's one organization that can afford to gamble a year's minor league salary on a recovering player, it's The Pinstripe Gang.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

• Gardner gets a 4/52 extension from Yankees. FA CF market is extremely thin, so wise to lock him up

Comment

• Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
          Gardner gets a 4/52 extension from Yankees. FA CF market is extremely thin, so wise to lock him up
          That's a lot of cash for a one trick pony, who's trick seems to be diminishing. He only stole 24 bags last year, despite playing a full season...the Yanks can obviously afford it, but I just don'r see him as a 13 million a year guy.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            That's a lot of cash for a one trick pony, who's trick seems to be diminishing. He only stole 24 bags last year, despite playing a full season...the Yanks can obviously afford it, but I just don'r see him as a 13 million a year guy.
            Well, he's a comparative child among the current Yankee pantheon, so why not spend a lot on him?

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

• If one WAR is running $5-7,000,000 and you have a consistent 3-4 WAR player at a premium position signed at $12.5 per it's hard to be particularly down on the situation. Besides, this gives NY two excellent fielding, speedy CFs on paper, one at a reasonable rice locked up a reasonable a mount of time and with a club option, with no "no trade" clause to boot. If Heathcott, Austin or Williams pan out or a major FA becomes available in a corner OF slot, he's tradable. Gardner's not my favorite player, but it's a solid deal.
              "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

For real baseball value, Gardner is about defense and getting on base at a reasonable clip. The stolen bases were never a big part of anything but his fantasy value.

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                  For real baseball value, Gardner is about defense and getting on base at a reasonable clip. The stolen bases were never a big part of anything but his fantasy value.
                  Then why have a guy attempt to steal close to 60 times for a 2 years running? Gotta think that the Yankee coaching staff thought that it was a big part of his game...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Then why have a guy attempt to steal close to 60 times for a 2 years running? Gotta think that the Yankee coaching staff thought that it was a big part of his game...
                    His SBO:

2010 31%
                    2011 39%
                    2012 31% (only 31 ABs)
                    2013 22%
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

He certainly has speed and runs some. That doesn't make stolen bases a huge part of any players value unless they bring little else to the field (Billy Hamilton?). His defense has added far more value than his offense over his career, and while his baserunning was a huge part of his offense early in his career, his bat has improved and his baserunning has gone down, as per the normal aging curve, during his career.

Comment

FWIW, Gardner has said that his running was down last year because the Yankees had a LH batter (Cano) hitting behind him. Cano is gone, and I think running, with Ellsbury and Gardner, will be a bigger part of the offensive game plan than last year.

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by cavebird View Post
                          He certainly has speed and runs some. That doesn't make stolen bases a huge part of any players value unless they bring little else to the field (Billy Hamilton?). His defense has added far more value than his offense over his career, and while his baserunning was a huge part of his offense early in his career, his bat has improved and his baserunning has gone down, as per the normal aging curve, during his career.
                          Can't say that I agree, but it's nothing to get into a debate over, especially about a player like Gardner. Good defender, mediocre hitter, and now declining speed...all in all, a "meh" player to me.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

He claimed that batting in front of Cano last year, he didn't need to steal bases as much.

Comment

He claimed that batting in front of Cano last year, he didn't need to steal bases as much.
                              I heard that somewhere, just can't quite place who said it...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• From Rotoworld--

"Mark Teixeira (wrist) expressed some disappointment Tuesday after he only saw five pitches in his second live batting practice session of the spring.

Teixeira is scheduled to make his spring debut on Thursday, so he was aiming to take regular batting practice on both Monday and Tuesday. However, because of scheduling issues, he took limited BP on Monday and had nobody to throw to him Tuesday. "

Seriously? "Scheduling issues"? With all the pitchers the Yankees have in their major and minor league camps, and all the coaches, they can't find ONE person to throw to one of their mega-million-dollar antiques? Who's in charge of the scheduling--Costanza?

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X