2K24: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
    Let's start with the wrong premise that Balfour or Paplebon would be an upgrade over Robertson...
    Couldn't agree more.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bob Kohm View Post
      Let's start with the wrong premise that Balfour or Paplebon would be an upgrade over Robertson...
      Unfortunately it would seem Cashman does not share your opinion. Otherwise there wouldn't not have been any talk of obtaining a closer.
      I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
        Unfortunately it would seem Cashman does not share your opinion. Otherwise there wouldn't not have been any talk of obtaining a closer.
        The question is--Where is the talk originating? Cashman? Hank/Hal? that oaf Randy Levine? "anonymous sources" within the front office? the vivid imagination of the beat writers?

I'm with Bob on this one. Robertson is a terrific reliever and deserves the first shot at the job. Balfour and Paplebon are both quality closers, but IMO neither is as good a pitcher as Robertson.
        Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
        -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          The question is--Where is the talk originating? Cashman? Hank/Hal? that oaf Randy Levine? "anonymous sources" within the front office? the vivid imagination of the beat writers?

I'm with Bob on this one. Robertson is a terrific reliever and deserves the first shot at the job. Balfour and Paplebon are both quality closers, but IMO neither is as good a pitcher as Robertson.
          I'm with Bob too. I'm just reporting what I'm hearing.

From RotoWorld on Nov 12:

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Tuesday that he hasn't settled on David Robertson as the 2014 closer.
          Mariano Rivera has retired, and replacing him will obviously be a tough task for the Yankees. "I’m not sure if Robertson is capable yet. He’s never done that before," Cashman said at the GM Meetings in Florida. "I think he’s earned the right to take a shot at it, and he very well may be the guy. But we’re not anointing him the guy."

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I'm with Bob too. I'm just reporting what I'm hearing.

From RotoWorld on Nov 12:

Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Tuesday that he hasn't settled on David Robertson as the 2014 closer.
            Mariano Rivera has retired, and replacing him will obviously be a tough task for the Yankees. "I’m not sure if Robertson is capable yet. He’s never done that before," Cashman said at the GM Meetings in Florida. "I think he’s earned the right to take a shot at it, and he very well may be the guy. But we’re not anointing him the guy."
            Robertson is a FA in 2015, good idea for Cashman to start burning that bridge now.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

• Shin-Soo Choo rejected a seven-year, $140 million contract offer from the Yankees, reports Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan.
              Choo's agent Scott Boras countered that he was looking for "Ellsbury money," according to the report. New York signed Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year, $148 million contract earlier this month. Passan reports that the Astros are one team with an offer on the table to Choo. If Houston can pull off the stealthy signing, they could field an impressive outfield of Dexter Fowler, George Springer and Choo in 2014. Choo, 31, hit .285/.423/.462 with 21 home runs and 20 stolen bases in 154 games this past season for the Reds.
              Source: Yahoo! Sports Dec 18 - 12:13 PM

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                Shin-Soo Choo rejected a seven-year, $140 million contract offer from the Yankees, reports Yahoo! Sports' Jeff Passan.
                Choo's agent Scott Boras countered that he was looking for "Ellsbury money," according to the report. New York signed Jacoby Ellsbury to a seven-year, $148 million contract earlier this month. Passan reports that the Astros are one team with an offer on the table to Choo. If Houston can pull off the stealthy signing, they could field an impressive outfield of Dexter Fowler, George Springer and Choo in 2014. Choo, 31, hit .285/.423/.462 with 21 home runs and 20 stolen bases in 154 games this past season for the Reds.
                Source: Yahoo! Sports Dec 18 - 12:13 PM
                This seems to be a bit misleading. According the MLB Trade Rumors this offer was made before they signed Beltran.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• This may take some of the steam out of the Homer Bailey-to-the-Yankees rumors--

The official website of the Cincinnati Reds with the most up-to-date information on scores, schedule, stats, tickets and team news.

I doubt that the team would be promoting this if they intended to trade Bailey anywhere during this off-season.

IF the Yankees are looking to trade for a starting pitcher, they'll probably have to look elsewhere. IMO they'd still be better off getting a better 2B than what they have now. A Kelly Johnson/Brian Roberts combo trying to replace Cano makes me think of the Red Sox years ago signing Jose Offerman to "replace" Mo Vaughn.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                  -- William James

Comment

• From Rotoworld--

"Mark Teixeira (wrist) told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he is close to 100 percent healthy.
                    Teixeira required season-ending surgery on his right wrist in July. "I feel like I’m healed," the first baseman said. "I wish I was a little bit looser; my wrist is going to be tight for a while because of the way the surgery was performed. ... It’s still a little bit tight, but that’s why I’m doing rehab every day and doing exercises every day. I’ll start swinging a bat in January and that will also help loosen it up." The 33-year-old will look to get his career back on track in 2014 after seven straight seasons of OPS regression."

Well, at least he didn't say he's in the BSOHL.

BTW, Yankees fans, his contract has three more years to run at $22.5 million per year.

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                      From Rotoworld--

"Mark Teixeira (wrist) told Bryan Hoch of MLB.com that he is close to 100 percent healthy.
                      Teixeira required season-ending surgery on his right wrist in July. "I feel like I’m healed," the first baseman said. "I wish I was a little bit looser; my wrist is going to be tight for a while because of the way the surgery was performed. ... It’s still a little bit tight, but that’s why I’m doing rehab every day and doing exercises every day. I’ll start swinging a bat in January and that will also help loosen it up." The 33-year-old will look to get his career back on track in 2014 after seven straight seasons of OPS regression."

Well, at least he didn't say he's in the BSOHL.

BTW, Yankees fans, his contract has three more years to run at $22.5 million per year.
                      Seven straight? He's gotta be closing in on the record.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

• Originally posted by DMT View Post
                        Seven straight? He's gotta be closing in on the record.
                        Hey, at least give him credit for consistency.

-- William James

Comment

• The latest on ARoid.

Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York was told by a source "from Alex Rodriguez's camp" that the beleaguered slugger has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced suspension from MLB.
                          After Rodriguez stormed out of his arbitration hearing back in November, he vowed that he would fight any suspension in federal court, but his stance has apparently softened since. Matthews' source says that A-Rod will still likely file an injunction if arbitrator Fredric Horowitz decides on a suspension longer than 100 games (211 games was the original punishment handed down by MLB), but fighting a lesser suspension might not be worth the legal fees and risk involved. "All of this has been presented to Alex and he is weighing his options," the source said. "In certain situations it may not make much sense to continue to fight." Horowitz could make a ruling on Rodriguez's suspension as soon as Friday.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The latest on ARoid.

Wallace Matthews of ESPN New York was told by a source "from Alex Rodriguez's camp" that the beleaguered slugger has discussed the possibility of accepting a reduced suspension from MLB.
                            After Rodriguez stormed out of his arbitration hearing back in November, he vowed that he would fight any suspension in federal court, but his stance has apparently softened since. Matthews' source says that A-Rod will still likely file an injunction if arbitrator Fredric Horowitz decides on a suspension longer than 100 games (211 games was the original punishment handed down by MLB), but fighting a lesser suspension might not be worth the legal fees and risk involved. "All of this has been presented to Alex and he is weighing his options," the source said. "In certain situations it may not make much sense to continue to fight." Horowitz could make a ruling on Rodriguez's suspension as soon as Friday.
                            Yup, I figured that they'd wait until the HOF stuff was done so as not to overshadow it. But Dan LeBatard and other fools tainted that instead.

I always thought that he'd get 100 or less, I'm putting my money on 75 games...
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Yup, I figured that they'd wait until the HOF stuff was done so as not to overshadow it. But Dan LeBatard and other fools tainted that instead.

I always thought that he'd get 100 or less, I'm putting my money on 75 games...
                              That sounds about right. Initially I was thinking they'd only reduce it by a little and make it a full season suspension but with all the money and energy ARod is putting into it there comes a point where MLB just wants this to go away. Working out a deal where he doesn't appeal in the federal courts seems like the best situation for everyone involved.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

That sounds about right. Initially I was thinking they'd only reduce it by a little and make it a full season suspension but with all the money and energy ARod is putting into it there comes a point where MLB just wants this to go away. Working out a deal where he doesn't appeal in the federal courts seems like the best situation for everyone involved.
                                I'm good with less than a season's suspension--IF he declares fully and unambiguously that he used PEDs. No Jason Giambi apology for unspecified violations.

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X