No announcement yet.

It's the Trade Deadline 2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A lot of prospects have been traded the past few days but I think it's worth mentioning that w about 7 hours to go before the trade deadline not a single top 100 prospect has yet been traded. BA recently did a piece on the top 100 prospects that have been traded at the deadline the past 10 years. Since 2014, an average of 4.7 top 100 prospects have been traded. The most was 11 in 2016 and the lowest was 1 in both 2014 and 2020. So if no top prospects are traded this year that would be very unusual.

Comment

Originally posted by rhd View Post
      A lot of prospects have been traded the past few days but I think it's worth mentioning that w about 7 hours to go before the trade deadline not a single top 100 prospect has yet been traded. BA recently did a piece on the top 100 prospects that have been traded at the deadline the past 10 years. Since 2014, an average of 4.7 top 100 prospects have been traded. The most was 11 in 2016 and the lowest was 1 in both 2014 and 2020. So if no top prospects are traded this year that would be very unusual.
      Interesting! I thought Agustin Ramirez might have been in the BA top 100 but alas

Comment

Originally posted by Pauly View Post

Interesting! I thought Agustin Ramirez might have been in the BA top 100 but alas
        May be close but so far no cigar. In fact Ramirez has not yet been ranked on any major list except for BP's mid-season update, which I have very few details about because it's behind a paywall.

Comment

Trevor Rogers to the Orioles for both Connor Norby and Kyle Stowers!

Happy Marlins fan here

Comment

Happy Marlins fan here
            Yea, getting Norby is a nice return.

Comment

Happy Marlins fan here
              A lot of O's fans seem to be upset over this deal. I heard about the commotion before I learned what the deal was. I was thinking "Did we just trade away Holliday for some middling starter?". When I found out it was just Norby and Stowers, I breathed a sigh of relief. Neither of these players really fit on the O's and neither of them projected to be regulars. I'm not all that excited about Rogers but we probably didnt lose any more than we did in the Ortiz and Hall for Burnes deal. The difference is we got a back-end SP this time instead of a front-line SP. But this was a good return for the Marlins because both of these players might find their way to regular playing time for a "rebuilding" team like the Marlins.

Comment

And, indeed, no top 100 prospects were traded. The closest probably were Agustin Ramirez and Connor Norby. Also note that the big name SPs (Skubal and Crochet) also were not traded.

Comment

Dodgers acquire RHP Jake Flaherty from the Tigers for C Thayron Liranzo and SS Trey Sweeney.
                  “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Padres acquire LHP Tanner Scott and RHP Bryan Hoeing from the Marlins for RHP Adam Mazur, LHP Robby Snelling, 3B Graham Pauley and INF Jay Beshears.
                    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Pirates acquire OF Bryan De La Cruz from the Marlins for RHP Jun-Seok Shim and INF Garret Forrester.

Pirates acquire INF/OF Isiah Kiner-Falefa from the Blue Jays for OF Charles McAdoo.

I like both of these deals for the Pirates.
                      Last edited by madducks; 07-30-2024, 07:23 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

The Diamondbacks get 1B Josh Bell from the Marlins for cash considerations.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Orioles acquire OF Eloy Jimenez from the White Sox for LHP Trey McGough.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

My takeaways from the extravaganza yesterday:

1. AJ Preller's job is clearly on the line and he needs to win now to preserve it. Thus he will trade basically anything to compete NOW. That bullpen is dynamic but at what cost?

2. Jack Flaherty might have some kind of arm problem. The Yankees passed on him after a physical and his price was much lower than I expected. I wonder if the Dodgers are just going to ride it as far as they can now.

3. Peter Bendix is looking to compete as soon as 2025. The best prospects traded at the deadline all went to Miami, and they are almost all major league-ready or very close to it. He landed the franchise's 2025 catcher (Agustin Ramirez), 1B (Deyvison de los Santos), 2B (Connor Norby) and potentially LF (Kyle Stowers) and 3B (Graham Pauley). Also interesting was the Snelling/Mazur addition, which says to me that they are going to move on from Alcantara probably after 2026 (there's a club option for 2027).

4. I have no idea what the Orioles are doing. None.

5. I wish there were more engaged baseball people in here.
                            Last edited by Pauly; 07-31-2024, 09:46 AM.

Comment

4. I have no idea what the Orioles are doing. None.
                              Altho I would consider what the O's did underwhelming, I dont think it was bad at all. I'm disappointed that they didnt get a front-line SP, like Skubal, Crochet or Snell, but noone else got them either. I certainly didnt see them dealing for Flaherty when they dealt for him last year and he did nothing for them and now there are health concerns surrounding him. It was a typical showing from Mike Elias, who I like very much but have never considered particularly good at acquiring players thru trades. His coup he carried out already in the offseason in the deal for Burnes. BA did a piece today on the winners of the trade deadline and they listed the O's at 5th best. I consider this a bit optimistic but I think the O's did improve themselves altho I think the Yanks improved themselves more. And we still kept all of our top prospects, some more of which should see time in MLB now.

Comment

Altho I would consider what the O's did underwhelming, I dont think it was bad at all. I'm disappointed that they didnt get a front-line SP, like Skubal, Crochet or Snell, but noone else got them either. I certainly didnt see them dealing for Flaherty when they dealt for him last year and he did nothing for them and now there are health concerns surrounding him. It was a typical showing from Mike Elias, who I like very much but have never considered particularly good at acquiring players thru trades. His coup he carried out already in the offseason in the deal for Burnes. BA did a piece today on the winners of the trade deadline and they listed the O's at 5th best. I consider this a bit optimistic but I think the O's did improve themselves altho I think the Yanks improved themselves more. And we still kept all of our top prospects, some more of which should see time in MLB now.
                                Im thinking more about Eloy and why he is a better option than Ohearn or Kjerstad.

Also about the price for Trevor Rogers, who, frankly, isn't good.

Comment

Working...
                                X