Is this finally it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not sure what Carrol $4/1st means?

Adley no matter the cost for Carroll $4 is offensive. I wouldn't be too pleased if I got that offer for Carrol. Adley is what, worth $20 in a 1C league? which i'd never pay for by the way.

And don't you need to wait for Davis to get C eligibility first?

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Have you used fangraphs or some other calculator to give you an estimate about what players are worth ?
      No. I just use the projections from ESPN or CBS

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post

You.would likely learn a lot and see some surprising results based on your unusual league settings.
        Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-18-2024, 09:57 PM.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

[QUOTE=the heat;n616225]I'm not sure what Carrol $4/1st means?/QUOTE]

Carroll $4/1st year kept

Comment

Not sure about ESPN but CBS tends to be notoriously optimistic.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post

Not sure about ESPN but CBS tends to be notoriously optimistic.
              I usually use my own projections but when I'm uncertain about a player, e.g., players w little to no MLB experience,, I'll use one of FG's projections, usually Steamer or ATC.

Comment

I offered Adley for Carroll $4/1st. No go as he said Adley wouldn't top $40 at the auction.
                I think you went a little too far here although I guess it never hurts to ask. No one would give up Carroll for Adley.

Comment

You probably chose the two worst sources imaginable for projections. Those 2 are notoriously bad. Try some other sources there are numerous projection systems from sources that are focused on getting projections right and not selling a fantasy platform or entertaining you.

Steamer, thebat, ATC, zips

also as suggested previously in this thread, run it through a calculator with your actual league settings you'll be surprised what you find.

Comment

Do you recall who was bidding against you for Davis? If so, try to trade him to the guy who bid $15.
                    2021 Auction Anatomy
                    2021 Keeper Decisions
                    2020 Auction Anatomy
                    2020 Pre-Auction
                    2015 Auction Anatomy
                    2014 Auction Anatomy
                    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

curious how you came up with your auction pricing. What you used to determine what to bid on players.

as has already been mentioned, FanGraphs auction calculator. You can even enter keepers into it and it'll come up with the inflated pricing

Comment

I don't use anything.

Comment

I don't use anything.
                          Curious, why not use some kind of reference? It's one thing to use a bad source, I can understand that. But without some kind of frame of reference you're making it really hard on yourself.

I feel like I know the player pool really well right now but off the top of my head I'd have a hard time quoting if a particular guy is worth $6 or $11, and if I'm off by ~$5 on every player I'm way, way behind the people I'm competing against.

That doesn't mean I have to stick to some other person's valuations, I can have my own preferences and like certain players but there's a difference in overpaying by $1-$2 because I like a guy, and overpaying by $5-$10. In the second case I'm probably getting played or I'm bidding against a homer who is a fan of that player's team and just wants to have them.

Really it's even fine to overpay by a good chunk as long as you know that's what you are doing and approach the bid with eyes wide open. But if you are flying blind you're going to get taken advantage of.

To me this is like having a hard class in college where everything is graded on a curve, and you get an open book test but you choose not to bring your book. Everyone else has their book and when it's graded on the curve you are going to fail. Not because you didn't know the material - maybe you knew it better than others in your class, but because you chose not to use the resource that everyone else you are competing against used.

Comment

I've never used any. The multi-champ does zero research and has nine titles.

Comment

I've never used any. The multi-champ does zero research and has nine titles.
                              He apparently has a system that works and doesn't need to conduct or do research (not sure I believe that)....but has that approach worked well for you? Would more information maybe help?
                              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

More information is never bad but all of the programs I found aren't free.

Comment

Working...
                                X