Is this finally it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

So you think he will put up stats better than an average OF?
    I think so.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

And if he is an above average OF, he should be slotted at C in order to maximize his value. So then the right move is to trade him or Rutschman. I would move Davis before Rutschman. Anyway, if he is an above average OF it is a nice problem to have. if not it's just a problem
      Rutschman will get the greater return since he is the more proven commodity.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post

Rutschman will get the greater return since he is the more proven commodity.
        Well sure...i ran a quick fangraphs auction calculator, maybe not exact league settings. But Rutschman is the 52 most valuable hitter at about 15 bucks, and Henry Davis is over 200 and has negative value. So in my opinion, Davis is not a huge asset, and it was a mistake to pay that much for him. Everything from here out is trying to cover that mistake. Just my opinion, Davis may be amazing, but until he proves that I think trading Rutschman is foolish. So if it were me, as i said before, I'd let it play out a little before going all in and trading any valuable assets.

I guess I think Davis is a speculative play that you hope hits...but that is not a sure thing by any means. And Rutschman is very valuable this year and next...so why move him if you don't know your team is possibly winning this year ?

EDIT - there may have been some positional issues with my fangraphs calculator, but Henry Davis is listed as the 85th best OF, so i am not optimistic that he will be an asset anywhere but catcher
        Last edited by The Feral Slasher; 03-18-2024, 02:08 PM.
        ---------------------------------------------
        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well sure...i ran a quick fangraphs auction calculator, maybe not exact league settings. But Rutschman is the 52 most valuable hitter at about 15 bucks, and Henry Davis is over 200 and has negative value. So in my opinion, Davis is not a huge asset, and it was a mistake to pay that much for him. Everything from here out is trying to cover that mistake. Just my opinion, Davis may be amazing, but until he proves that I think trading Rutschman is foolish. So if it were me, as i said before, I'd let it play out a little before going all in and trading any valuable assets.

I guess I think Davis is a speculative play that you hope hits...but that is not a sure thing by any means. And Rutschman is very valuable this year and next...so why move him if you don't know your team is possibly winning this year ?

EDIT - there may have been some positional issues with my fangraphs calculator, but Henry Davis is listed as the 85th best OF, so i am not optimistic that he will be an asset anywhere but catcher
          I'm not sure why Henry Davis's price matters. That was a bad decision in the past, but there's a possibility he's a decent catcher. If he's not even a decent hitting catcher then this team has much bigger issues since he's starting in the OF right now.

Which is why I'd trade Adley and get a good OFer in that spot.

You keep saying you don't know your team is good. If you play like that and never push all in unless you know you won, then you'll never win IMO. He has great stars, he needs to surround them with better players. So he should do that and not try to wait. Wait and you'll lose the stars.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken View Post

I'm not sure why Henry Davis's price matters. That was a bad decision in the past, but there's a possibility he's a decent catcher. If he's not even a decent hitting catcher then this team has much bigger issues since he's starting in the OF right now.

Which is why I'd trade Adley and get a good OFer in that spot.

You keep saying you don't know your team is good. If you play like that and never push all in unless you know you won, then you'll never win IMO. He has great stars, he needs to surround them with better players. So he should do that and not try to wait. Wait and you'll lose the stars.
            Well I don't think I said his salary matters, other than to say that I think it was a mistake to pay that much, which you agreed with. It's a sunk cost now, so irrelevant, other than thinking he is worth 16 bucks because that is what you paid him and moving forward with that mindset.

I agree he has stars, and agree he needs to surround them with better players. That's the issue. How does he do that ? My opinion is that this doesn't look like a likely winning team . Certainly possible to make some moves and finish in the top 4 if that is the goal, but I think he already said the projections said it is a middling team.

As far as saying "i don't know when my team is good", I actually know when my team is good, i don't need to ask other people if my team is going to compete. My opinion is this isn't a league winning team, and will likely be on the bubble to reach the top 4 whether or not he moves Rutschman or other guys.

Do you think the pitching staff and offense are league leading caliber ? Compared to all the leagues I've been in, I'd say it is middle of the pack. Anyway, that's my opinion.
            The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
            George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Well I don't think I said his salary matters, other than to say that I think it was a mistake to pay that much, which you agreed with. It's a sunk cost now, so irrelevant, other than thinking he is worth 16 bucks because that is what you paid him and moving forward with that mindset.

I agree he has stars, and agree he needs to surround them with better players. That's the issue. How does he do that ? My opinion is that this doesn't look like a likely winning team . Certainly possible to make some moves and finish in the top 4 if that is the goal, but I think he already said the projections said it is a middling team.

As far as saying "i don't know when my team is good", I actually know when my team is good, i don't need to ask other people if my team is going to compete. My opinion is this isn't a league winning team, and will likely be on the bubble to reach the top 4 whether or not he moves Rutschman or other guys.

Do you think the pitching staff and offense are league leading caliber ? Compared to all the leagues I've been in, I'd say it is middle of the pack. Anyway, that's my opinion.
              The "I don't know" part was referring to you saying "I'd let it play out a little before going all in and trading any valuable assets"

I dont think letting it play out helps here.

I agree that in the current iteration it's not a winning team. Just like if I had a team that had 27 star pictures and 0 hitters can't win. But this has the pieces to win IF he manages the team. That was my point. So my goal would be start managing it correctly - fix the pieces around the stars. That should be doable, find a team that's already rebuilding and help them with their rebuild by taking their vets for some future assets.

Comment

The "I don't know" part was referring to you saying "I'd let it play out a little before going all in and trading any valuable assets"

I dont think letting it play out helps here.

I agree that in the current iteration it's not a winning team. Just like if I had a team that had 27 star pictures and 0 hitters can't win. But this has the pieces to win IF he manages the team. That was my point. So my goal would be start managing it correctly - fix the pieces around the stars. That should be doable, find a team that's already rebuilding and help them with their rebuild by taking their vets for some future assets.
                Yeah, if the goal is to win this year, letting in play out doesn't help. I guess I said that because I don't think the team is likely to win, and don't recommend trading valuable future assets to win this year. But...other smart people see some opportunity with this team, and it certainly is possible that with some good management this team could finish in the money. So DJ has some advice from different perspectives and needs to move forward one way or the other. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, wish DJ the best
                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Yeah, if the goal is to win this year, letting in play out doesn't help. I guess I said that because I don't think the team is likely to win, and don't recommend trading valuable future assets to win this year. But...other smart people see some opportunity with this team, and it certainly is possible that with some good management this team could finish in the money. So DJ has some advice from different perspectives and needs to move forward one way or the other. Will be interesting to see how it plays out, wish DJ the best
                  If you can't win in a year where you have Witt, Strider, Tatis, Rutschman, and Ragans all on good contracts, what's the point of future assets.

Not a rhetorical question, I'm serious - he only gets so many keepers. If you can't win with that keeper list, you aren't going to win next year with a slightly worse keeper list since all those contracts are going to age.

There are always a few guys in my long term keeper leagues that are playing for next year every year. And they are always going to get better next year. This seems like one of those teams unless he takes a "push all in immediately" approach.

Comment

If you can't win in a year where you have Witt, Strider, Tatis, Rutschman, and Ragans all on good contracts, what's the point of future assets.

Not a rhetorical question, I'm serious - he only gets so many keepers. If you can't win with that keeper list, you aren't going to win next year with a slightly worse keeper list since all those contracts are going to age.

There are always a few guys in my long term keeper leagues that are playing for next year every year. And they are always going to get better next year. This seems like one of those teams unless he takes a "push all in immediately" approach.
                    Ok you convinced me....don't give away Adley, need to get a haul for him
                    George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Ok you convinced me....don't give away Adley, need to get a haul for him
                      You've made a good point too - Adley needs to return a haul. If not then I guess another star needs to be traded instead. But need to get some depth in this roster, there are a few holes in the ship that need to be plugged since the guts of it (Strider, Witt, Tatis) are great

Comment

After posting Adley, got an offer:

Murphy $12 and Castellanos $16 for Adley and Davis

The reigning (and 9-time) champ also wants Adley.

Comment

Originally posted by DJRadar View Post

If you trade Adley you need a top 15-20 OF coming back on a good contract.

Comment

No. Similar contracts. But, you would be giving up two players with lots of potential who are likely to increase in value for two players who have probably already peaked and are likely to keep the same value or decrease in value

― Albert Einstein

Comment

I offered Adley for Carroll $4/1st. No go as he said Adley wouldn't top $40 at the auction.

Comment

I offered Adley for Carroll $4/1st. No go as he said Adley wouldn't top $40 at the auction.
                                Have you used fangraphs or some other calculator to give you an estimate about what players are worth ?
                                George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Working...
                                X