Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• madducks
    replied
    Kobe Bryant helped sell Ohtani on signing with the Dodgers.

Leave a comment:

• madducks
    replied
    Originally posted by rhd View Post
    And now Tom Verducci said that initially Ohtani wanted to defer the entire $700 mil of the contract!!!!
    Ohtani's endorsement income alone is more than the salary of most athletes. It's so incomprehensible that he doesn't even need that $700 million.

Leave a comment:

• rhd
    replied
    And now Tom Verducci said that initially Ohtani wanted to defer the entire $700 mil of the contract!!!!

Leave a comment:

• rhd
    replied
    RW is reporting that Ohtani will defer $68 mil per season of his entire 10-year contract so that he will get just $2 mil per year (?!?!). The other $680 mil will be paid out, without interest(!), from 2034-43. Such a "frugal" contract structure for an athlete sounds completely unprecedented. Hold my beer, Max Scherzer!

Leave a comment:

• Sour Masher
    replied
    His contract makes Bobby Bonilla's look like a pay up front deal. It is a heck of a tax dodge. Luckily, Ohtani makes about 50 mil a year in endorsements, so he is good on funion money until his contract money kicks in.

Leave a comment:

• whalewang
    replied
    Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    What will Ohtani go for in your fantasy leagues this year.

I suspect he will go for $54 in our 12 team NL only 5x5 Ultra $260 budget. I will be out as I am keeping a $54b Acuna.
    9 team NL only 5x5 keeper league. I'm guessing at least $55 with Acuna around $70.
    We don't have a bench but he can be used two-way (you can slot him as a pitcher on the days he pitches and then back to UTL on days he's not pitching). We have daily transactions but that still makes swapping a little complicated even with utilizing a guys on the IL in the process.

Leave a comment:

• Moonlight J
    replied
    He'll be missed in AL LABR and Tout auctions. He was treated differently in both leagues, but glad not to have to make that budgetary tweak in draft plans any longer

Leave a comment:

• Gregg
    replied
    What will Ohtani go for in your fantasy leagues this year.

I suspect he will go for $54 in our 12 team NL only 5x5 Ultra $260 budget. I will be out as I am keeping a $54b Acuna.

Leave a comment:

• ThatRogue
    replied
    Originally posted by revo View Post

Morosi really screwed the pooch on this one. It's one thing to say the player was leaning towards a certain team, but another to say the guy got on a plane. Turns out it was Robert Herjavic from Shark Tank, lol
    They look so much alike, I see how easy it was for Morosi to get them confused…

Leave a comment:

• Sour Masher
    replied
    Originally posted by harmon View Post

They're paying him for his revenue value to the team as much as for his on field production.
    That too is likely to fade by the end of the deal.

Leave a comment:

• harmon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. Ohtani may have been more valuable than anyone to ever play the game, before he went down with his second TJ surgery, but right now, he just had his second TJ and it did not seem to cost him a penny. No factoring in of risk. Even if he comes back from his 2nd TJ as good as ever, which is no sure thing, especially after a second surgery, his contract will end be the biggest albatross in baseball history by the tail end of it. He was worth every bit of 70 mil a year when he was one of the best pitchers and hitters all in one. No telling how long he holds up on both ends, though.
    They're paying him for his revenue value to the team as much as for his on field production.

Leave a comment:

• Sour Masher
    replied
    Originally posted by madducks View Post
    Next season, Ohtani will make more money than the entire A's team...and Orioles...and Pirates...and Reds...and Brewers...and Royals...and Marlins...and Guardians.

Not bad for a designated hitter.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Ohtani may have been more valuable than anyone to ever play the game, before he went down with his second TJ surgery, but right now, he just had his second TJ and it did not seem to cost him a penny. No factoring in of risk. Even if he comes back from his 2nd TJ as good as ever, which is no sure thing, especially after a second surgery, his contract will end be the biggest albatross in baseball history by the tail end of it. He was worth every bit of 70 mil a year when he was one of the best pitchers and hitters all in one. No telling how long he holds up on both ends, though.

Leave a comment:

• revo
    replied
    Hmmmn...
    Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani is traveling to Toronto on Friday.

Hmmmn...
    Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Shohei Ohtani was not on a flight to Toronto on Friday but rather at his home in Southern California.
    Morosi really screwed the pooch on this one. It's one thing to say the player was leaning towards a certain team, but another to say the guy got on a plane. Turns out it was Robert Herjavic from Shark Tank, lol

Leave a comment:

• madducks
    replied
    I think the Dodgers will pounce while other teams hesitate.
    Indeed.

Leave a comment:

• madducks
    replied
    Next season, Ohtani will make more money than the entire A's team...and Orioles...and Pirates...and Reds...and Brewers...and Royals...and Marlins...and Guardians.

Not bad for a designated hitter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X