No announcement yet.

Shohei Ohtani torn UCL 8-23-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Angels placed DH/RHP Shohei Ohtani on the 10-day IL with a right oblique strain. See you in 2024.

No word yet about TJ surgery.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Nez Balelo, the agent for Shohei Ohtani, announced Tuesday that Ohtani underwent successful elbow surgery on Tuesday morning.

Balelo did not name the procedure, but it was not Tommy John reconstructive elbow surgery. The operation was performed by renowned surgeon Dr. Neal ElAttrache who noted “The ultimate plan after deliberation with Shohei, was to repair the issue at hand and to reinforce the healthy ligament in place while adding viable tissue for the longevity of the elbow”. ElAttrache also said that he expects Ohtani to be able to hit without any restrictions at the start of the 2024 season and to pitch without any restrictions in 2025. As anticipated, it looks like Ohtani will be limited to DH duties for the duration of the 2024 campaign before returning to being a two-way player for the 2025 season.
      “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

did he have the traditional TJ surgery?.. or something less/more?
        I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those ... moments will be lost in time, like tears...in rain. Time to die.

Comment

There are reports that Shohei is expected to "make his decision" in the next few days. ESPN’s Jeff Passan reports the Dodgers, Cubs, Blue Jays and Angels remain in the mix to sign Ohtani.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

update: Somebody with the Dodgers doesn't like this guy lol.

*** NOT CONFIRMED ***
            Shohei Ohtani will sign with the Blue Jays, according to Dodgers Nation’s J.P. Hoornstra.

FWIW, sources have told ESPN’s Alden González and Sportsnet’s Ben Nicholson-Smith that Ohtani has yet to make his decision. Hoornstra, a long-time Dodgers’ beat writer, says an official announcement could come later today. Financial terms are unknown, but most assume Ohtani will clear the $500 million barrier.
            Last edited by madducks; 12-09-2023, 03:55 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmmmn...
              Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani is traveling to Toronto on Friday.

Hmmmn...
              Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Shohei Ohtani was not on a flight to Toronto on Friday but rather at his home in Southern California.
              Last edited by madducks; 12-08-2023, 07:57 PM.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

We need an Ohtani radar tracking app like the kids have for Santa on Christmas eve.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

WOW!

Shohei Ohtani is signing with the Dodgers for a reported $700 million over 10 years.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Next season, Ohtani will make more money than the entire A's team...and Orioles...and Pirates...and Reds...and Brewers...and Royals...and Marlins...and Guardians.

Not bad for a designated hitter.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                      I think the Dodgers will pounce while other teams hesitate.
                      Indeed.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hmmmn...
                        Jon Morosi of MLB Network reports that two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani is traveling to Toronto on Friday.

Hmmmn...
                        Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that Shohei Ohtani was not on a flight to Toronto on Friday but rather at his home in Southern California.
                        Morosi really screwed the pooch on this one. It's one thing to say the player was leaning towards a certain team, but another to say the guy got on a plane. Turns out it was Robert Herjavic from Shark Tank, lol

Comment

Next season, Ohtani will make more money than the entire A's team...and Orioles...and Pirates...and Reds...and Brewers...and Royals...and Marlins...and Guardians.

Not bad for a designated hitter.
                          Exactly what I was thinking. Ohtani may have been more valuable than anyone to ever play the game, before he went down with his second TJ surgery, but right now, he just had his second TJ and it did not seem to cost him a penny. No factoring in of risk. Even if he comes back from his 2nd TJ as good as ever, which is no sure thing, especially after a second surgery, his contract will end be the biggest albatross in baseball history by the tail end of it. He was worth every bit of 70 mil a year when he was one of the best pitchers and hitters all in one. No telling how long he holds up on both ends, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post

Exactly what I was thinking. Ohtani may have been more valuable than anyone to ever play the game, before he went down with his second TJ surgery, but right now, he just had his second TJ and it did not seem to cost him a penny. No factoring in of risk. Even if he comes back from his 2nd TJ as good as ever, which is no sure thing, especially after a second surgery, his contract will end be the biggest albatross in baseball history by the tail end of it. He was worth every bit of 70 mil a year when he was one of the best pitchers and hitters all in one. No telling how long he holds up on both ends, though.
                            They're paying him for his revenue value to the team as much as for his on field production.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post

They're paying him for his revenue value to the team as much as for his on field production.
                              That too is likely to fade by the end of the deal.

Comment

Working...
                              X