Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shohei Ohtani torn UCL 8-23-23

OMG. Just devastating.

ANAHEIM -- The Angels were dealt a massive blow on Wednesday, as two-way superstar Shohei Ohtani was diagnosed with a torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow after exiting his start after just 1 1/3 innings in a 9-4 loss in Game 1 of a doubleheader against the Reds.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Given the risk-averse nature of baseball execs, this might be it for Ohtani being allowed to go Full Ohtani. What a run.

Comment

His contract now will certainly be affected. Assuming he won't pitch next year, the best situation for him would be to come up with a whatever length deal but have an opt-out after year 2 or 3, when he's proven to teams that he can still put a high-level pitcher. Figure the deal actually becomes a 2yr, $90-$100m deal before he opts out and gets the huge deal. But that said, a team now would be paying that money for a DH-only, which seems ludicrous.

I think the odds of him returning to the Angels just shot up by a lot.

Comment

Revo, I have to disagree. Only takes one team to blink. And the media benefit / PR benefit is there for a team even if he’s just a DH. I suspect the deal will be for at least $300 mill. A short term deal makes more sense but unclear he will need to settle for one.

Comment

I think the Dodgers will pounce while other teams hesitate.
          “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            Revo, I have to disagree. Only takes one team to blink. And the media benefit / PR benefit is there for a team even if he’s just a DH. I suspect the deal will be for at least $300 mill. A short term deal makes more sense but unclear he will need to settle for one.
            I meant that he will indeed sign a long-term deal, but there will be an opt-out, making the deal actually a 2-3 yr contract.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post

I meant that he will indeed sign a long-term deal, but there will be an opt-out, making the deal actually a 2-3 yr contract.
              Ah! That makes much more sense.

Comment

And now Ohtani has a right oblique injury in addition to the torn UCL. The new injury occurred during pregame batting practice on Monday.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
                  And now Ohtani has a right oblique injury in addition to the torn UCL. The new injury occurred during pregame batting practice on Monday.
                  Time to shut him down already

Comment

Next year Ohtani will go for the least amount...ever.

How much will you pay?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      Next year Ohtani will go for the least amount...ever.

How much will you pay?
                      Probably not true. He had surgery about 5 years ago and I got him for 26. He struggled badly in 2020 and I traded him before he really broke out in 2021. He apparently won't pitch next year', but I expect he will go for well over 30 in any keeper league
                      ---------------------------------------------
                      Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                      The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                      George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Probably not true. He had surgery about 5 years ago and I got him for 26. He struggled badly in 2020 and I traded him before he really broke out in 2021. He apparently won't pitch next year', but I expect he will go for well over 30 in any keeper league
                        Looking over his stats I just noticed he is 29, he is amazing, but we may have already seen his best years or maybe not, but injury and age are now something to think about
                        Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
                        The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
                        George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by The Feral Slasher View Post

Looking over his stats I just noticed he is 29, he is amazing, but we may have already seen his best years or maybe not, but injury and age are now something to think about
                          Just the bat alone makes him well over $30.

Comment

Not only is Ohtani leading the AL in home runs by a wide margin (44-35 over Luis Robert), but Ohtani is also currently tied with Bobby Witt for the AL lead in triples with 8. The last player to lead either league in both triples and home runs during the same year was Jim Rice in 1978.

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                            X