Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
    So then it's official. Jansen is the new closer. Spread the good word.
    Hear ye, hear ye! Jansen is now the new closer in Dodgertown!

Please inform Donny Baseball of this announcement.

That is all.

Hey, just my announcement.

Gris

Comment

• Originally posted by griswold View Post
      Hear ye, hear ye! Jansen is now the new closer in Dodgertown!

Please inform Donny Baseball of this announcement.

That is all.

Hey, just my announcement.

Gris
      Just Mattingly's announcement:

Jonathan Broxton was told by Dodgers' manager Don Mattingly that he is still the closer.
      Well, this is awkward. Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti reportedly told Joe Block of KABC Radio in Los Angeles on Tuesday that Mattingly would go with a closer-by-committee, opening the door for Vicente Padilla and Hong-Chih Kuo to also receive save chances. There's obviously a difference of opinion here.
      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
        Well, combine the injury-prone Padilla and the injury-prone Kuo and you essentially get one pitcher. Voila.
        That's actually what I've been thinking for about a week now, lol.

Comment

• The solution is obvious. Buy the Dodgers and install Jansen, or whoever you want, as the closer then fire Colletti for being dumb enough to make a statement like that without consulting his manager or Mattingly for not listening to the instructions of his general manager.

Comment

• I though Selig was running the team
            If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
            Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

• Broxton hasn't looked right for almost a full year now. Even during the first half of last year his velocity had started to dip even though he remained effective. I agree with elD that there's an injury in there somewhere (maybe only a partial tear in the shoulder or something?) because he doesn't have nearly the same oomph he used to have behind his fastball.

Kuo would seem to be the obvious choice once he comes off the DL, but then again he was having control problems before he "got hurt". Padilla would be a great closer in theory due to his arsenal, but he's never really been put in that role before. Jansen is starting to show signs of life, but I think management would still prefer to bring him along slowly for now. My best guess is that they'll continue to run Broxton out there until Kuo shows that he's ready. Padilla and Jansen may get a chance here and there, but I wouldn't bet on either of them receiving more than 5 saves each this year.

Comment

• Mattingly assured Broxton he still is the guy.

Comment

• Santos with save #2 tonight but anyone watching the game knows that was as shaky as they come. Without a defensive sub of Lillibridge for Quentin ChiSox lose.

Did not exactly inspire confidence though you have to cut him a bit of break for facing the heart of the Yankee lineup twice in 2 nights.

Comment

• Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                    Santos with save #2 tonight but anyone watching the game knows that was as shaky as they come. Without a defensive sub of Lillibridge for Quentin ChiSox lose.

Did not exactly inspire confidence though you have to cut him a bit of break for facing the heart of the Yankee lineup twice in 2 nights.
                    Two pretty great plays by Lillibridge.
                    Last edited by schlesinj; 04-27-2011, 05:32 AM.

Comment

• Mitchell Boggs screws the pooch vs. Houston...
                      "When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."
                      "The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."
                      "The question is," said Humpty Dumpty, "which is to be master - that's all."

Comment

• Got offered Broxton 35 this morning for Leake 1 (another good game tonight) and Dodgers SS speedster Dee Gordon (5 when he finally gets called up).

I'm gonna have to pass on that one...
                        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by senorsheep View Post
                          Mitchell Boggs screws the pooch vs. Houston...

Yeah, 4 hits an error (by him) and an ugly wild pitch to allow in the game tying run.

I still think Sanchez should be the man.

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime View Post
                            Yeah, 4 hits an error (by him) and an ugly wild pitch to allow in the game tying run.

I don't see La Russa going to Sanchez unless both Boggs and Motte really suck, and Franklin still sucks for a long time, but I have him and I'll glaldy be the flag bearer of the Free Sanchez army.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                              Just Mattingly's announcement:

Boooo.....Jansen last night went 2.0 IP, no hits or runs...only 1 walk and 3 K's!

Come on Donny Boy....let him close!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by primetime View Post

Remember Jason Motte only got one game and he was not sniffed a save since.

Comment

Working...
                                X