No announcement yet.

Closer Watch: 2011

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I did some cursory research this morning while thinking about Boggs. Here are some recently successful relievers who have had pretty sizable splits as right-handed relievers against left-handed batters:

Jose Valverde
    Rafael Soriano
    Joel Hanrahan
    Chris Perez

In other words, you can be a closer and still have fairly big splits. Valverde, in particular, has been closing quite a while even though he's pretty much always had trouble against lefties. In other words, Mitchell Boggs has a shot at holding onto his newfound role. I don't know if that shot is a high percentage given all the other good arms the Cardinals have (Perez is a dynamo, although I'm now curious if they're going to utilize him as a multi-inning reliever because he's capable while others are not), but I'm saying there's a chance wink.gif

Comment

• Originally posted by eldiablo505
      I love it when writers slice their data in order to support their predispositions.

"Since May 11th" versus "since the start of last season"

LOL, Baseball Prospectus. Nice work.

Edit: In 2010, Boggs faced LHB 97 times. His BABIP allowed against LHB was .261. You draw your own conclusions as to whether he got lucky in a small sample size or whether the Baseball Prospectus guy was right.

Edit Part II: Heh. In 2011 so far, Boggs' BABIP vs. RHB is .167. In 2010 so far, Boggs BABIP vs. LHB is .125.

Selective sampling for the win!!!! Boggs is the best evah!
      Do you have a point?
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

...In 2010 so far, Boggs BABIP vs. LHB is .125.
        "In 2010 so far?" I'm pretty sure that he can't pitch anymore in 2010, although I heard that he's so good that he is working on a Flux Capacitor to improve his 2010 #'s against RHB's.

Comment

• "LOL, Baseball Prospectus. Nice work."

Actually, that was Baseball Prospectus quoting the St Louis writer
          Bernie Miklasz of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Sorry, I'll use smaller words next time so that you understand.
            or maybe have a point.
            "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

• Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

My point was in my first sentence, Einstein. The writer was using selective data to prove his predisposed opinion.

Man, I used to think that maybe your failings were just that you were incapable of expressing yourself in an effective manner through written word. I'm really starting to think that you're just slow. Not that there's anything wrong with that but goddamn it's an exercise in futility even having the most basic attempt at a conversation with you.
                lol, typical childish response from you but none of us would expect anything else.

Comment

• Thought all lefties got along?

Comment

• All of this over whether or not Mitchell Boggs can be a good closer or not...which no one knows at this point.

Comment

• Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                      Move over and pass the popcorn...this could be fun.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                      - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                      -Warren Ellis

Comment

I agree with you, Bodz. I'm not sure that a closer with fairly big splits the other way around (successful vs. LHB and bad vs. RHB) would be long for this world, though. I like Boggs okay. I like Motte more and think that he'd be a better choice for a long-term closer, but it's pretty clear that the Cardinals have a bunch of choices that are all superior to Franklin. That's a pretty good situation to be in.
                        lol, this is all I was asking for earlier. I wanted to know if your post was saying you didnt like Boggs or if it was just a BP rant.

Comment

• Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                          Is it time to pick up Santos?

J
                          I had been planning on making an offer for him but it's too late ...

Originally posted by rotoworld
                          White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen indicated Monday that Sergio Santos might continue to close games.
                          Santos successfully finished off the club's 2-0 victory over the Yankees on Monday night in New York and has now thrown 11 scoreless innings this season. "We are going to see how he is tomorrow," said Guillen of Santos. "And if the opportunity comes again, we'll see how he handles it." He's obviously worth grabbing in all fantasy leagues.
                          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

• Originally posted by hombre View Post
                            As a Dodger fan it kills me to say this, but I think GITH is right on the money here.

From the readings on the gun to the negative body language that GITH points out- Broxton just doesn't look the same to me. If I owned him (I don't), I'd say wait until he strings together 2 or 3 saves, and sell. I know at this point you'll likely be selling at 70 cents on the dollar, but I'd take it and wouldn't look back.
                            whip up to a lofty 1.84 after last night's blown save. ouch.
                            ~ all in all is all we are ~

kc

Comment

• Originally posted by Funkley View Post
                              Thought all lefties got along?
                              Which on is the LOOGY?

Originally posted by TranaGreg View Post
                              I had been planning on making an offer for him but it's too late ...
                              I am glad I grabbed Santos when I had the chance. Add him to Masterson and Lowrie, and that team is starting to come around.

J
                              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

• Kuo? Padilla? Jansen (though he's been putrid)? Committee most likely....but who you guys think gets lion's share of opps should Broxton be eased out or hit the DL? I'm guessing Kuo myself once he's off DL, but Padilla short term....
                                12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
                                1B-Cron
                                2B- Villar
                                SS- Andrus
                                3B-Baez
                                MI-L. Gurriel
                                CI- Y.Gurriel
                                OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
                                UTIL- Benintendi
                                BENCH: Pence, Dyson
                                SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
                                RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
                                IL: Buxton

Comment

Working...
                                X