2K14 - Erasmo Ramirez

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maurer's report at BP:

Strengths: Excellent size/strength; throws the ball downhill; fastball works in plus-velocity range; 90-94 and can go get more with effort; movement is 6+ with heavy sink; slider flashes plus with sharp slice; curveball already works above average with depth and heavy vertical break; attacks the zone; competitor with big makeup.
    Weaknesses: Injury history; throws strikes, but command can get loose; delivery has some effort; changeup can get firm, lose action; present 4; lacks above-average projection; sequencing/situation needs work.
    Overall Future Potential: 5; no. 3/4 starter
    Explanation of Risk: High risk; injury history

Comment

Maurer is one of the top 3 arms in the system (Better than Paxton and with arguably equal upside to Hultzen depending on who you talk to) and a Top 100 guy pretty easily.

Comment

Mark Hulet of fangraphs.com ranked him seventh in the Mariners system. This is his scouting report which sounds a lot like BP's. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...pects-2012-13/

Maurer improved his stock more so than any other pitcher on the Top 15 list between 2011 and 2012. Prior to last year, he had never made more than 13 starts in a season during his four-year career and saw his innings almost double from 79.1 to 137.2 over the past two seasons. A big, strong-bodied right-hander, Maurer will look to put his checkered injury history behind him as he looks to build on his breakout performance with a promotion to triple-A to open 2013.

The former 23rd round draft pick should settle in nicely at the big league level as a No. 3 or 4 starter. He features a four-pitch mix, which includes a fastball that works in the low 90s and can hit the mid-90s. He also has a curveball, slider, and changeup. His slider has plus potential while his changeup needs to most polish. Maurer has the potential to develop both above-average command and above-average control of his repertoire but is a little behind the eight-ball because of all the missed time.

When I saw Maurer pitch he flashed all his secondary pitches and set them up well by establishing his fastball early in the count. With a three-quarter delivery, the right-hander pounded the lower half of the strike zone but got hit hard when he elevated the ball. He was able to get swings and misses on his breaking stuff. He worked quickly but was falling forward ahead of his arm at times.

Comment

Originally posted by BigJonEmpire View Post
          Mark Hulet of fangraphs.com ranked him seventh in the Mariners system. This is his scouting report which sounds a lot like BP's. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index...pects-2012-13/
          As with any writer who doesn't cover a team specifically (and instead analyzes on a more global level), Hulet's intel lags behind the actual organization intel and rankings (no offense to Hulet or to BP -- it just is what it is). There was a lot of discussion in Seattle circles as to whether Maurer was already better than Paxton going into this season, and Maurer's spring cemented his spot ahead. Depending on how you feel about pitching prospects, Maurer could be as high as Seattle's #4 prospect at this point. I'd probably have him #5, but there's a good argument either way. Paxton is going to end up a bullpen arm (in my opinion), and Maurer is going to be a very solid #3 starter with a little wiggle room either way (could be a #4 or he could be a #2 if every single thing breaks his way).

I'd certainly be paying money for Maurer over the Wily Peralta's or Wade Davis' of the fantasy universe at this point. I think the M's are stupid for picking Beavan over Erasmo Ramirez at this point, but Maurer over Garland is at least a nice consolation. Maurer should be on everyone's fantasy radar if he wins a spot, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
            As with any writer who doesn't cover a team specifically (and instead analyzes on a more global level), Hulet's intel lags behind the actual organization intel and rankings (no offense to Hulet or to BP -- it just is what it is). There was a lot of discussion in Seattle circles as to whether Maurer was already better than Paxton going into this season, and Maurer's spring cemented his spot ahead. Depending on how you feel about pitching prospects, Maurer could be as high as Seattle's #4 prospect at this point. I'd probably have him #5, but there's a good argument either way. Paxton is going to end up a bullpen arm (in my opinion), and Maurer is going to be a very solid #3 starter with a little wiggle room either way (could be a #4 or he could be a #2 if every single thing breaks his way).

I'd certainly be paying money for Maurer over the Wily Peralta's or Wade Davis' of the fantasy universe at this point. I think the M's are stupid for picking Beavan over Erasmo Ramirez at this point, but Maurer over Garland is at least a nice consolation. Maurer should be on everyone's fantasy radar if he wins a spot, that's for sure.
            No argument here. I and I assume others like to see scouting reports from a variety of sources. Reading multiple points of view can help firm up an opinion on a player when you can't actually scout him yourself. I actually think Hulet's report is a pretty positive one that supports your point of view.

Comment

Thanks for all the good info - this board is great.

Comment

Been on the 7-day DL in Tacoma for about 30 days now. Any hope here for this year?

Comment

I haven't heard any more since the whole tired arm thing on March 25th. This situation pisses me off

Comment

latest update from USS Mariner doesn't sound promising

Erasmo Ramirez doesn’t sound like he’s anywhere close to returning, and given the quiet nature of the team’s updates around him, I suspect we might not see him at all this year — much less two

Comment

From Bret Sayre at BP:

Ramirez has started a throwing program and could be looking at rehab assignment in the next week or two if he progresses

Comment

Ramirez pitched last night in AA. Decent results 5 IP, 3 hits (2 doubles and a triple), 2 BB's and 3 K's... (I'm not good at researching this but I'm not sure if there is minor league velocity available yet)...

I'm thinking of taking him in our Sunday redraft (keeper league), as Maurer and Harang don't scare me. What does might be some of their other minor league studs but I think worth a flyer?

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by Goalie View Post
                          Ramirez pitched last night in AA. Decent results 5 IP, 3 hits (2 doubles and a triple), 2 BB's and 3 K's... (I'm not good at researching this but I'm not sure if there is minor league velocity available yet)...

I'm thinking of taking him in our Sunday redraft (keeper league), as Maurer and Harang don't scare me. What does might be some of their other minor league studs but I think worth a flyer?

Thoughts?
                          The other minor league "studs" aren't ready or are injured. If Erasmo can come back healthy, these a rotation spot waiting for him (take a bow, Maurer). I think Hultzen is probably 4-6 weeks away, and I think he'll take Harang's spot if he comes back with no issues from his injury.

Comment

He had a great start in Triple-A last night and can't be too far from getting the call (my prediction is that he's up by next weekend). Both Bonderman and Harang predominantly suck, so he's got a spot if he's ready (which it appears he is).

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
                              He had a great start in Triple-A last night and can't be too far from getting the call (my prediction is that he's up by next weekend). Both Bonderman and Harang predominantly suck, so he's got a spot if he's ready (which it appears he is).
                              I'm thinking of a way to grab Erasmo now but my DL is full and much of my bench is filled with DL'd players. I'm thinking of dropping one of Luebke, Madson, or Colby Lewis to make room. Or Chris Dickerson but that spot, even if I dropped Dickerson, should be used for a bat. I'm starting Dirks and sometimes Venable in a somewhat shallow 13 team mixed so its clear I need OF help.
                              "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
                                I'm thinking of a way to grab Erasmo now but my DL is full and much of my bench is filled with DL'd players. I'm thinking of dropping one of Luebke, Madson, or Colby Lewis to make room. Or Chris Dickerson but that spot, even if I dropped Dickerson, should be used for a bat. I'm starting Dirks and sometimes Venable in a somewhat shallow 13 team mixed so its clear I need OF help.
                                I love Luebke, but I'm not counting on him at all for the remainder of the year. I'd feel pretty confident in dropping him for a guy like Erasmo at this point.

Comment

Working...
                                X