2k13: New York Yankees

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by revo View Post
    looking ahead to 2014, what will the Yankee staff look like? Pettitte retired, Kuroda is expected to return to Japan for his final season or two, and Phil Hughes is not expected to be re-signed. That leaves:

1 - CC Sabathia, who has almost a 5.00 ERA and 1.37 WHIP -- decidedly un-ace like.
    2 - Ivan Nova, who had a surprising year, but is still nothing more than a SP4.
    3 - Michael Pineda, who has now missed two full seasons.
    4 - David Phelps, who is still better-suited as a swingman.

The free agent market for SPs is decidedly thin, with perhaps Ervin Santana and Matt Garza the best of the lot. Other FA pitchers include Tim Lincecum, AJ Burnett (LOL), Dan Haren, Bartolo Colon (LOL) & Ricky Nolasco. They also have virtually nothing in the minors to re-stock the rotation.

So what do they do?
    Make Kuroda a 2-year offer he can not refuse. With ARod virtually certain to lose his appeal, they have a lot of money freed up in cap space for over a year.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• I wonder if a team official will ever be tempted to spike a players' Gatorade, leading him to fail a drug test and thereby save the team tens of millions - or more!

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by chancellor View Post
        Make Kuroda a 2-year offer he can not refuse. With ARod virtually certain to lose his appeal, they have a lot of money freed up in cap space for over a year.
        They could, but Kuroda has also struggled to the tune of a 5.50 ERA and 1.40 WHIP since August 1: is age finally setting in for the 38-year old?

Comment

Why would you think that he's virtually certain to lose his appeal? There's almost no way that any arbitrator that's not in MLB's back pocket goes with the 214 game suspension for a guy who's never officially failed a test, IMO. I'm betting on 100 games, and you'll see Alex back on the field next August.
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            Why would you think that he's virtually certain to lose his appeal? There's almost no way that any arbitrator that's not in MLB's back pocket goes with the 214 game suspension for a guy who's never officially failed a test, IMO. I'm betting on 100 games, and you'll see Alex back on the field next August.
            His admission of previous usage weighs heavily against him, even if it was "never as a Yankee". (This is why lawyers always tell clients to admit nothing)

As for the starting pitching, I think they'll go after Nolasco and/or Timmah, and make Kuroda a more than reasonable but not quite insane offer. Take two of those three, add Sabathia at ace level, Nova at his peak, and the inevitable triumphant Yankee debut of Pineda, and you can automatically say "28". Yes, I'm kidding.
            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
            -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
              Because they'll not only be able to prove he used again and lied about it - which is in the realm of every other player busted - but he also actively impeded the investigation. Add all that to the specter of Shayam Das, and he's going down, IMO. I think it'll be 200 games after all is said and done (100 for the use, 100 for impeding the investigation).

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
                They could, but Kuroda has also struggled to the tune of a 5.50 ERA and 1.40 WHIP since August 1: is age finally setting in for the 38-year old?
                I don't think so, more like revert to mean. Shoot, he had a sub-2.40 ERA at 8/1. He's good, but he's not THAT good. He'll likely finish very close to what he did last year, with a 3.20 - 3.40 ERA, 1.15 - 1.18 WHIP, similar BB:K ratio, and 200+ IP. Combine that with his ability to pitch in the media frenzy that is NY, and the dearth of pitching on the market, and ARod's likely contract off the books for an extended period...well, I just don't see a better alternative for the Yanks, even if they have to overpay for a couple years to keep him.

Comment

Because they'll not only be able to prove he used again and lied about it - which is in the realm of every other player busted - but he also actively impeded the investigation. Add all that to the specter of Shayam Das, and he's going down, IMO. I think it'll be 200 games after all is said and done (100 for the use, 100 for impeding the investigation).
                  I'm not buying it...MLB has thrown a lot of crap at the wall with A-Rod, and not much of it has stuck. And if an arbitrator folds because of pressure by one side of the issue, they need to be fired by the board of arbitration. Sticking with 100 games...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Special moment today:

Mariano Rivera is the last player who will ever wear Jackie Robinson's No. 42, and the miracle that still gives us Jackie's 91-year-old widow - she looks closer to 65 than 91 - is to be treasured.

There was a moment today near the mound, toward the end of the ceremony, where Rivera and Rachel embraced. He then gently kissed her forehead.

So much nonsense and hype and discord and all that.

But that was as tender and subtle a moment in time as I've ever seen.

We are such imperfect beings. But every now and then, a couple of people - even if just for an instant - get it just right. Such rare times are to be treasured.

Bravo and thanks for that moment, Mariano.
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Andy Pettitte pitches well and loses his final Yankee Stadium start. Someone forgot to give the Giants their copy of The Script.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

• From Rotoworld--

"CC Sabathia has been shut down for the remainder of the 2013 season with a hamstring strain.
                        One final blow in a frustrating 2013 campaign for the Yankees. Sabathia suffered the injury at the end of his seven-inning start Friday night against the Giants. He will finish the year with a 14-13 record, 4.78 ERA, 1.37 WHIP and 175/65 K/BB ratio in 211 innings."

It's probably for the best for him and the team. The question is whether his 2013 is a blip on the radar, or a sign of falling to being ordinary from here on out.

-- William James

Comment

• Hughes to start for Sabathia this Friday. I'm not sure whether that's a sign of desperation, or of surrender.

I thought that getting Hughes as a reserve in my 15-team mixed this year was going to be as good as snagging Burnett the same way in 2012; turned out to be a wasted pick.

-- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                            Hughes to start for Sabathia this Friday. I'm not sure whether that's a sign of desperation, or of surrender.

I thought that getting Hughes as a reserve in my 15-team mixed this year was going to be as good as snagging Burnett the same way in 2012; turned out to be a wasted pick.
                            Hughes is actually pitching tomorrow, Nova Thursday and Pettitte Friday. Not sure how you see it as desperation, he's replacing an injured pitcher. It's what teams do, they use a different pitcher when one gets hurt. Surrender? Who else would they start? Phelps? Is he stretched out enough to start? You just love making something out of nothing when it comes to the Yankees.
                            I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                              Hughes is actually pitching tomorrow, Nova Thursday and Pettitte Friday. Not sure how you see it as desperation, he's replacing an injured pitcher. It's what teams do, they use a different pitcher when one gets hurt. Surrender? Who else would they start? Phelps? Is he stretched out enough to start? You just love making something out of nothing when it comes to the Yankees.
                              Oh come on, DQ's not allowed to use a little hyperbole when it comes to a train wreck like Hughes? yes, they really have no other choices, but that's only because it's the last week of the season and they're out of it at this point. Otherwise, what explains the super quick hooks that Hughes has gotten in the last couple of starts?

-Warren Ellis

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                                Hughes to start for Sabathia this Friday. I'm not sure whether that's a sign of desperation, or of surrender.
                                Dunno. I thought they'd go with a bullpen type start rather than trot Hughes out there, given how bad Hughes has been lately. But it's not like Girardi has many options.

Comment

Working...
                                X