Bobby V Canned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Long John View Post
    Russ Ortiz would only improve their pitching staff. Good idea.
    For a second there i thought i stumbled upon an old thread lol.
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
      Good point. Though I think the Sox would be better served it they didn't just spend their money cause they felt they needed to. But I think they will be under a lot of pressure to just that.
      The top brass, including but not necessarily limited to Henry, Lucchino, and Cherington, need to sit down and put in writing exactly what their plan is, then execute it. The Red Sox have spent the last few years seemingly trying to execute several different plans at once, going in different directions simultaneously and resembling the Yankees of the 1980s, with similar results.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
        The top brass, including but not necessarily limited to Henry, Lucchino, and Cherington, need to sit down and put in writing exactly what their plan is, then execute it. The Red Sox have spent the last few years seemingly trying to execute several different plans at once, going in different directions simultaneously and resembling the Yankees of the 1980s, with similar results.
        There are too many cooks. They can't seem to agree on a plan so there is nothing to execute. Henry and Lucchino need to allow Cherington to do his job. If they don't trust him then fire him and do it themselves.
        I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
          There are too many cooks. They can't seem to agree on a plan so there is nothing to execute. Henry and Lucchino need to allow Cherington to do his job. If they don't trust him then fire him and do it themselves.
          Yeah, because owners as their own GMs works so well. Look at the Mighty Bengals and Invincible Cowboys.

I agree that Henry and Lucchino should back off and let Cherington run the baseball side of the operation. However, it's well established that they can't do that; they feel compelled to meddle. So failing that, the powers that be need to agree on what they're aiming to do if nothing else.

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Don't forget their ownership group also includes Tom Werner, who ran the Padres into the ground long before John Moores did.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
              Yeah, because owners as their own GMs works so well. Look at the Mighty Bengals and Invincible Cowboys.
              I wasn't trying to suggest it would be a good idea but at least there would be some continuity.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

The best part about this thread was the title, of which I misread as "Caned".
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Better question - has Bobby Valentine managed his last game in the Majors?
                  "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                  "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Better question - has Bobby Valentine managed his last game in the Majors?
                    Never underestimate an owner's ability to be starstruck, but barring that, I think yes.

The main role of the modern manager is to keep an even keel in the clubhouse. Valentine is terrible at that.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                      Don't forget their ownership group also includes Tom Werner, who ran the Padres into the ground long before John Moores did.
                      True, but my perception is that he hasn't had nearly as much to say and hasn't butted in nearly as much as Henry.

-- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                        Never underestimate an owner's ability to be starstruck, but barring that, I think yes.

The main role of the modern manager is to keep an even keel in the clubhouse. Valentine is terrible at that.
                        Well said. There are thirty owners, many of them completely ignorant about how to run a baseball team on the field, and it only takes one to make a terrible hire like Valentine.

-- William James

Comment

I'm not saying I disagree about Valentine, but let's consider for a second that he really wasn't given a chance to keep an even keel from Day 1. I think it's more the Red Sox fault for hiring a manager like Valentine when he's always been the type of manage that needs to play first fiddle. Is it possible Valentine would succeed in a clubhouse of young players where a team identity has yet to be formed? Given the structure of have and have nots in MLB, why couldn't he take on the Astros job and do well there? There's no Dustin Pedroia or David Ortiz in that clubhouse yet.
                          "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                          "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

I'm not saying I disagree about Valentine, but let's consider for a second that he really wasn't given a chance to keep an even keel from Day 1. I think it's more the Red Sox fault for hiring a manager like Valentine when he's always been the type of manage that needs to play first fiddle. Is it possible Valentine would succeed in a clubhouse of young players where a team identity has yet to be formed? Given the structure of have and have nots in MLB, why couldn't he take on the Astros job and do well there? There's no Dustin Pedroia or David Ortiz in that clubhouse yet.
                            I agree with this. I think he could be a good fit for a team like the Astros. It is fashionable to bash Bobby V, and I get why--he's a big headed know-it-all who often pushes the wrong buttons at the wrong times, but the guy does know baseball, and I think with a younger team with less divas, he could do well. He was a bad fit for Boston, and him failing there had much more to do with injuries than BV's managment. Of course, he didn't respond apporpriately in a few key situations, like with youklis, and that certainly didn't help.

Comment

John Farrell hired as the new Sox manager, no surprise here.

Comment

Farell plus Lind for Mike Aviles is the rumour. I probably feel best about getting rid of Lind.

Edit: its not Lind, its David Carpenter, rp. Pretty much a throw in.
                                Last edited by TranaGreg; 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM.
                                It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                                X