Bobby V Canned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bobby V Canned

the worst kept secret in baseball finally comes to fruition.

Is Cherington safe? He didn't exactly have a great rookie campaign either, even if he didn't want Valentine as manager. I suppose getting out of the Crawford contract makes him a stud though.....

As awful as Bobby V was, it seems kind of pointless to can him now. They gutted their team in order to accommodate him. They should have just canned him in midseason and kept Gonzo.
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
      As awful as Bobby V was, it seems kind of pointless to can him now. They gutted their team in order to accommodate him. They should have just canned him in midseason and kept Gonzo.
      That I just didn't understand. It made it seem as if he won the battle. So now the Sox have all this dough to spend, and they're only going to spend it on guys like Gonzo. Maybe they just realized Gonzo wasn't the player they had thought he was.

Comment

well this certainly provides an opportunity for Toronto ... it's no secret that Boston has a strong interest in Farrell, we just have to negotiate a reasonable deal. We could use a good second baseman - I hear this Pedroia kid is not bad ...
        It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
          Gonzo was not happy in Boston and it wasn't because of Valentine. He had to go.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

I thought Gonzalez was still a good signing, but if you have an opportunity to get out of the Crawford and Beckett deals, you do what you've gotta do. And Gonzo had some problems besides the manager this year, he was openly complaining about the umps ("How are you supposed to have a professional at-bat with these umpires nowadays?"), which will get you nowhere.
            people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
              I thought Gonzalez was still a good signing, but if you have an opportunity to get out of the Crawford and Beckett deals, you do what you've gotta do. And Gonzo had some problems besides the manager this year, he was openly complaining about the umps ("How are you supposed to have a professional at-bat with these umpires nowadays?"), which will get you nowhere.
              He also complained about the schedule, specifically Sunday night games and then traveling for a Monday game. If you want to play on a big stage then people want to see your team and you are gonna play Sunday night games. Suck it up and deal with it.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Losing Gonzalez was necessary in order to also lose Beckett and Crawford - simple as that. It had nothing to do with his talent or anything else.

My guess is Boston uses the freed up cash for pitching (Haren? Greinke?) and deals for good but not great hitters.

Also, Daniel Bard for John Farrell
                Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                  Gonzo was not happy in Boston and it wasn't because of Valentine. He had to go.
                  Gonzo is never happy.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                    Gonzo is never happy.
                    Neither was Ted Williams, but he was still a pretty good player for the Red Sox.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                      Neither was Ted Williams, but he was still a pretty good player for the Red Sox.
                      Talented player? No doubt. Committed teammate? Not convinced that he's anything more than a paycheck player.
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Radio here is talking about whether Boston would be interested in Ryne Sandberg who was the phillies AAA manager and just offered their 3rd base coach job. He's the Phillies manager in waiting if he doesn't go somewhere else before then.
                        I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
                          Losing Gonzalez was necessary in order to also lose Beckett and Crawford - simple as that. It had nothing to do with his talent or anything else.

My guess is Boston uses the freed up cash for pitching (Haren? Greinke?) and deals for good but not great hitters.

Also, Daniel Bard for John Farrell
                          Greinke would be a disaster in Boston and I think he's smart enough to know that.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                            Talented player? No doubt. Committed teammate? Not convinced that he's anything more than a paycheck player.
                            OK, I'll take him on the Yankees to replace Ibanez/Jones/Chavez next year at DH.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                              OK, I'll take him on the Yankees to replace Ibanez/Jones/Chavez next year at DH.
                              The DH spot needs to stay open for all the old men already on the team like ARod and Jeter.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X