Bobby V Canned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
    OK, I'll take him on the Yankees to replace Ibanez/Jones/Chavez next year at DH.
    Wait, are we talking about A-Gonz or the frozen head of Ted Williams?
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
      Wait, are we talking about A-Gonz or the frozen head of Ted Williams?
      The Yankees need to get younger, so either would be a fine addition.
      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

I am so relieved he is gone. It wasn't just the adversity, it's how he handled it. Worst day to day mgr I've ever seen in any sport. Maybe he got an unfair shake to some extent but I am just happy he is gone.
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
          /Thread
          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            Greinke would be a disaster in Boston and I think he's smart enough to know that.
            This will no doubt be the conventional thinking but I don't happen to agree with it.
            Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Zola View Post
              This will no doubt be the conventional thinking but I don't happen to agree with it.
              Why not? He's basically stated that he doesn't like cities with huge media exposure, like New York and Boston. I don't have the time to track down a quote but I know he's basically said this in the past.
              I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                A-Gonz is only 30. I think he'd be a great RBI guy through age 35.

Comment

Hmmm...why not? After his tour in Milwaukee, I think the conventional thinking is right. Greinke was essentially coddled by a very supportive local media, and had significantly better home splits - despite Miller turning into a plus hitters park. Put him under a much more aggressive media base and a vicious fan base, and he'll likely not do well, IMO.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Controller Jacobs View Post
                    I thought Gonzalez was still a good signing, but if you have an opportunity to get out of the Crawford and Beckett deals, you do what you've gotta do. And Gonzo had some problems besides the manager this year, he was openly complaining about the umps ("How are you supposed to have a professional at-bat with these umpires nowadays?"), which will get you nowhere.
                    Spot on! Gonzalez was the price for getting rid of Crawford and Beckett.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                      Hmmm...why not? After his tour in Milwaukee, I think the conventional thinking is right. Greinke was essentially coddled by a very supportive local media, and had significantly better home splits - despite Miller turning into a plus hitters park. Put him under a much more aggressive media base and a vicious fan base, and he'll likely not do well, IMO.
                      Long story short is I think there is too much going back and explaining a random event using anecdotal evidence.

This guy can't play in New York. That guy can't hit in the clutch. He can't close.

I know we are talking about humans, so there are absolutely individual instances where the assumption is true. But by and large, it is a random event(s) that we feel the need to explain with something other than "stuff happens."

So I don't pick and choose - I elect to not try to discern where the human element applies and where benefit of the doubt applies and give everyone benefit of the doubt.

I'm not right 100% of the time but I am right more often than not which should be the objective.
                      Follow me on Twitter @ToddZola

Comment

Long story short is I think there is too much going back and explaining a random event using anecdotal evidence.

This guy can't play in New York. That guy can't hit in the clutch. He can't close.

I know we are talking about humans, so there are absolutely individual instances where the assumption is true. But by and large, it is a random event(s) that we feel the need to explain with something other than "stuff happens."

So I don't pick and choose - I elect to not try to discern where the human element applies and where benefit of the doubt applies and give everyone benefit of the doubt.

I'm not right 100% of the time but I am right more often than not which should be the objective.
                        This conversation feels like deja vu, but I think the issue isn't near as much a question of will Greinke be able to handle Boston, or any other high pressure, big market team, as it is, do you want to invest the money it will take to find out. Based on the past, and his own statements, clearly anxiety is more of a risk with him than most other players. Whether you believe it's a real issue or not, you are not doing your due diligence as a GM if you don't take it into consideration.

Right now, the last thing Boston needs is another big money free agent flop. Unfortunately for them, both of the top free agents, Greinke and Hamilton, carry more unique risks than the typical free agent. So while any big money contract is a greater risk, these are two of the greatest. While it's nice to be flush with money to spend, these are not ideal times to do it.
                        Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Originally posted by TopChuckie View Post
                          This conversation feels like deja vu, but I think the issue isn't near as much a question of will Greinke be able to handle Boston, or any other high pressure, big market team, as it is, do you want to invest the money it will take to find out. Based on the past, and his own statements, clearly anxiety is more of a risk with him than most other players. Whether you believe it's a real issue or not, you are not doing your due diligence as a GM if you don't take it into consideration.

Right now, the last thing Boston needs is another big money free agent flop. Unfortunately for them, both of the top free agents, Greinke and Hamilton, carry more unique risks than the typical free agent. So while any big money contract is a greater risk, these are two of the greatest. While it's nice to be flush with money to spend, these are not ideal times to do it.
                          Well said. I think the Sox will re sign Ross and Ortiz and maybe some mid level guys and go after players in 2014. I remember someone pointing out (I think in person not on this site) that the free agent class in 2014 is much better.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Well said. I think the Sox will re sign Ross and Ortiz and maybe some mid level guys and go after players in 2014. I remember someone pointing out (I think in person not on this site) that the free agent class in 2014 is much better.
                            The free agent class for the year plus-one is always better than the current class. Then some of those guys get signed to extensions, and voila! another "mediocre" free agent crop, with the media saying, "But look who's available NEXT year!"

Rinse and repeat.

Never look at next year's free agents without considering who is actually going to be on the market.
                            Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                            -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                              The free agent class for the year plus-one is always better than the current class. Then some of those guys get signed to extensions, and voila! another "mediocre" free agent crop, with the media saying, "But look who's available NEXT year!"

Rinse and repeat.

Never look at next year's free agents without considering who is actually going to be on the market.
                              Good point. Though I think the Sox would be better served it they didn't just spend their money cause they felt they needed to. But I think they will be under a lot of pressure to just that.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Well said. I think the Sox will re sign Russ Ortiz and maybe some mid level guys and go after players in 2014. I remember someone pointing out (I think in person not on this site) that the free agent class in 2014 is much better.
                                Russ Ortiz would only improve their pitching staff. Good idea.
                                "Igor, would you give me a hand with the bags?"
                                "Certainly. You take the blonde and I'll take the one in the turban!"

Comment

Working...
                                X