I won a Yahoo league!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I won a Yahoo league!!

But...the team in second place is whining that since I went past him on the final day thanks to pitchers that put me over the innings limit I should not be awarded first place. I know that sentence sounds like I am making no sense but here is how Yahoo works (and has always worked). You have 1400 innings. Once you reach those innings any future innings in future days do not count towards your stats. On the day you go over you can continue to receive the innings and stats for the rest of day. What I did was make sure that I was a few innings under the limit and then started four pitchers on the last day. Those stats put me at 1419 innings and got me enough points to win. Now the team in second place wants a vote to no allow me those stats. There is no constitution and we've always deferred to the way Yahoo runs the league based on the settings provided so I just don't see how we can do this.

I realize I used the system to my advantage, but there is nothing that says you can't do this, and I've always done this if I needed to. What do you folks think?
    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Pretty crafty! Was it a public league?
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
      Pretty crafty! Was it a public league?
      Private league. Not to mention the difference between $600 and $300.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Just four starters? Hammer would have started 12
        people called me an idiot for burning popcorn in the microwave, but i know the real truth. - nullnor

Comment

That's a very common strategy in leagues with innings limits and totally legal. If it wasn't previously agreed to among league members then he has no basis for discounting the stats.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
            But...the team in second place is whining that since I went past him on the final day thanks to pitchers that put me over the innings limit I should not be awarded first place. I know that sentence sounds like I am making no sense but here is how Yahoo works (and has always worked). You have 1400 innings. Once you reach those innings any future innings in future days do not count towards your stats. On the day you go over you can continue to receive the innings and stats for the rest of day. What I did was make sure that I was a few innings under the limit and then started four pitchers on the last day. Those stats put me at 1419 innings and got me enough points to win. Now the team in second place wants a vote to no allow me those stats. There is no constitution and we've always deferred to the way Yahoo runs the league based on the settings provided so I just don't see how we can do this.

I realize I used the system to my advantage, but there is nothing that says you can't do this, and I've always done this if I needed to. What do you folks think?
            Which innings would he want taken away? Would you get zero stats for that day?

I did that in my local league two years. i needed some wins and K's to move up into a money spot and had enough moves left (we get 50 moves per year) to pick up and start 7 pitchers. I went way over the IP limit and moved up into the money. No one complained as others do it in the league.

We had one team go over the limit this year.
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

What a whiner and a sore loser. Take the money and run.
              “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

People seem to feel that 1400 IP is the limit and you can't go over that. But that is not how the league is set up.

I think it's total BS, you can't change how things are done after the fact. I know I am going to get screwed.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

It is a common strategy in Yahoo leagues and perfectly legal. I think the Fantasy 411 calls it Blow Out Day.

Comment

So what's the solution from this guy? How can you stop the IP at 1400?
                    "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Here is exactly what the guy wrote, sorry there is no punctuation, but that's how he wrote it.

well no sour grapes but the stats are allston high lifes with 19 innings over max our league caps off at certain number of which a few teams are over those 19 innings are a bit much giving adam 2 wins and era and hit walk come on i think the league needs to vote on this matter we are our own league with our own commish the site is free with free ststs but that 19 innings is a very unfair advantage please i want everyone in league to text in on this so we can have a vote on this matter sorry again but that is too big of an advantage i will contact everyone in league but if you can please charm in with your thoughts and then we will have a vote thanks

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                        So what's the solution from this guy? How can you stop the IP at 1400?
                        No idea. I think he understands that a team could go over but that I went over by a lot and it gave me an unfair advantage. I just planned it perfectly and now he's upset.

I've always felt that our league rules are basically the rules within Yahoo. So if that's the case, I played within the rules. At draft day whenever position eligibility questions come up the general consensus is "whatever Yahoo says". So why should this be any different? I realize I'm preaching the choir here but I need to figure out how to argue my side to the league so I'm sort of bouncing ideas off you guys.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Just got the message from the commissioner:

Guys, for the record, we have always defaulted to the rules set in place by Yahoo. While I was never aware of this possible scenario myself, it IS clearly stated within the rules and regulations. As commissioner, there isn't even an option to change someone's stats at all, so even if we voted to change this particular issue next year it couldn't be enforced.

"Your Public League pitching staff can throw a total of 1400 innings for the season. Once the sum of all innings pitched reaches the 1400 mark, pitchers no longer accumulate stats.

All players active on the day a maximum is reached will receive credit for their stats."
                          Sounds like the stats stand the way they are. That last sentence pretty much seals it up for me. I played within the rules.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Originally posted by BuckyBuckner View Post
                            No idea. I think he understands that a team could go over but that I went over by a lot and it gave me an unfair advantage. I just planned it perfectly and now he's upset.

I've always felt that our league rules are basically the rules within Yahoo. So if that's the case, I played within the rules. At draft day whenever position eligibility questions come up the general consensus is "whatever Yahoo says". So why should this be any different? I realize I'm preaching the choir here but I need to figure out how to argue my side to the league so I'm sort of bouncing ideas off you guys.

My league has always operated under the "whatever Yahoo says" rules also. And we did have 1 or 2 guys who got upset when Yahoo allowed something they thought was an unfair advantage. I always told them it's not an unfair advantage if everyone can do it. If someone chooses to do something that is allowed and you don't, then too bad for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                              My league has always operated under the "whatever Yahoo says" rules also. And we did have 1 or 2 guys who got upset when Yahoo allowed something they thought was an unfair advantage. I always told them it's not an unfair advantage if everyone can do it. If someone chooses to do something that is allowed and you don't, then too bad for you.
                              Exactly. Shame on him (not me) for knowing the rules and using them to the fullest. It sounds like the commish is on my side as well. If my win stands it will be my third consecutive championship in this league, so I wonder if that has something to do with it as well.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Working...
                              X