Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brett Lawrie likely to miss a few games ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
    If umpires had to apologize for making bad calls it would destroy the system. Yeah, you limit it to "egregious blown calls" but where is any line that can be drawn with any measure of anything between "egregious blown calls" and "blown calls"? Nothing requires players to apologize to umps when they go nuts (whether or not they were right), not sure why umps should be held to a higher standard.
    For me, all I care about is an ump making a consistently call. If he calls a strike outside of the strike zone consistently a strike for both teams then I'm somewhat okay with that.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Which has been done for time immemorial in baseball. Is it good? Heck no. Throwing your batting helmet at an ump, however, is beyond bad - it's completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying the ump should receive no discipline, just nowhere near what Lawrie got.
      Totally disagree- the ump was the impetus for lawries outburst. Could brett have acted differently? sure, but when an ump steps outside of his job to "teach the kid a lesson" which he did in no uncertain terms, then he SHOULD be called out by the player, manager and MLB. But hey accpeting the good ol boy system in somewhat in certain peoples nature, just not mine.

As for the notion that throwing a helmet is soooo bad-- that's crap.
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by cavebird View Post
        If umpires had to apologize for making bad calls it would destroy the system. Yeah, you limit it to "egregious blown calls" but where is any line that can be drawn with any measure of anything between "egregious blown calls" and "blown calls"? Nothing requires players to apologize to umps when they go nuts (whether or not they were right), not sure why umps should be held to a higher standard.

I'd like to see umps grades published, disciplinary actions, published--make these guys accountable to the players and fans and the maybe they'd work hard to get calls right including a more extensive use of replay. If they can't do that replace their asses with technology and call it a day.
        If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
        Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Which has been done for time immemorial in baseball. Is it good? Heck no. Throwing your batting helmet at an ump, however, is beyond bad - it's completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying the ump should receive no discipline, just nowhere near what Lawrie got.
          So acting like a bratty child and throwing your helmet is worse than making a wrong call on purpose? Gotta disagree with you there Chance.
          "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
            So acting like a bratty child and throwing your helmet is worse than making a wrong call on purpose? Gotta disagree with you there Chance.
            Maybe Lawrie just should have gotten his own thread instead of a suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
              If he'd have thrown it away from people, I'd agree with you. Intentionally or no, he ended up throwing it - hard - at a person. That's much worse in my eyes, since someone could get hurt.

elD - Nice!
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

and he dropped his appeal today so he's done for the week

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  "I would like to publicly state that I am deeply sorry for calling that pitch that was four inches outside the zone a strike. I hope that you, the baseball watching public, will accept my apology and know that I hold nothing but remorse in my heart for those that I have hurt with my actions."
                  that's a start

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

We DID get an umpire suspension. One game for Bob Davidson for repeated failure to control his temper. Culminating in his tirade against Charlie Manuel a few days ago.

We saw the worst of a Major League Baseball player this week when Brett Lawrie exploded during the ninth inning of a Blue Jays game on Tuesday night. Lawrie made headlines across the game after he freaked out, slammed his helmet on the ground and was ejected by home plate umpire Bill Miller after a […]
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Can we have some more please!

Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                      X