Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brett Lawrie likely to miss a few games ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If Roger Goodell was the MLB commissioner, this would be 20-25 games.

Outside or not, you don't slam your helmet down at the ump's feet with that kind of aggression. What a tool.

Comment

Lawrie gets 4 gms. Appealing

Comment

Wow..if I were him, I'd drop that appeal at some conveient time before actually meeting with MLB. He got off pretty easy, IMO.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
          Wow..if I were him, I'd drop that appeal at some conveient time before actually meeting with MLB. He got off pretty easy, IMO.
          Absolutely. Be thankful and see you in a week.

Comment

Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
            Absolutely. Be thankful and see you in a week.
            Nah. This gives him the opportunity to say "professional athletes get upset when 2 balls are called strikes in a 1-run game". It will be reduced to 3 games. I doubt it's his sole decision to appeal. The club supports it.

ETA: Maybe they just wanted him for the Yankees series. 7-0 Jays. Who's pitching? Kuroda. Sig below.
            Last edited by virgonomic; 05-16-2012, 07:39 PM.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

here's the rub, sure Brett should have handled it better, but that umpire was retributive, he called him out because lawrie complained about the prior pitch and THAT should be grounds for suspension. Umpires should try to get the call right and not try to teach a rookie a lesson. they should also be required to admit and apologize for egregious blown calls to the manager and player involved. this-- I'm above you all mentality they (or some) posses has got to stop and maybe it'll take a punch to the face to get it done--at least selig would have to finally address it.
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                here's the rub, sure Brett should have handled it better, but that umpire was retributive, he called him out because lawrie complained about the prior pitch and THAT should be grounds for suspension. Umpires should try to get the call right and not try to teach a rookie a lesson. they should also be required to admit and apologize for egregious blown calls to the manager and player involved. this-- I'm above you all mentality they (or some) posses has got to stop and maybe it'll take a punch to the face to get it done--at least selig would have to finally address it.
                We don't know this.

Comment

I don't understand why the decision and appeal system time frame is more than 24 hours.

Comment

this-- I'm above you all mentality they (or some) posses has got to stop and maybe it'll take a punch to the face to get it done
                    MLB won't be serious about this as long as they continue to employ Joe West.
                    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                      I don't understand why the decision and appeal system time frame is more than 24 hours.
                      Agreed. Video conference is pretty easy to do - the resolution should be much quicker than "some time next week".

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                        Under the present labor agreement, I'm fairly sure all appeals must be done in person unless both parties waive that right.

Comment

here's the rub, sure Brett should have handled it better, but that umpire was retributive, he called him out because lawrie complained about the prior pitch and THAT should be grounds for suspension.
                          Meh. Orders of magnitude different, IMO. Your mileage may vary, but Lawrie committed an act that was bad and could have been much worse (like, what happens if that helmet bounces up and hits the ump in the face) while the ump simply made a bad call. I agree that it sure appeared retributive, but even with that, it's nowhere near as bad as Lawrie's immature outburst.

Comment

Baloney. The ump didn't simply make a bad call. The Ump made a mockery of his profession by calling a clear ball a strike, so he could punch out Lawrie and show him who's boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Roto Rooter View Post
                              Baloney. The ump didn't simply make a bad call. The Ump made a mockery of his profession by calling a clear ball a strike, so he could punch out Lawrie and show him who's boss.
                              Which has been done for time immemorial in baseball. Is it good? Heck no. Throwing your batting helmet at an ump, however, is beyond bad - it's completely unacceptable.

I'm not saying the ump should receive no discipline, just nowhere near what Lawrie got.

Comment

If umpires had to apologize for making bad calls it would destroy the system. Yeah, you limit it to "egregious blown calls" but where is any line that can be drawn with any measure of anything between "egregious blown calls" and "blown calls"? Nothing requires players to apologize to umps when they go nuts (whether or not they were right), not sure why umps should be held to a higher standard.

Comment

Working...
                                X