No announcement yet.

2K12 NY Yankees: Boom Boom in the Boogie Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phil Hughes says hi and Ivan Nova says - not a lot.

and yeah, we're pretty in sync on being intrigued by the choices.
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Hypothetical question: How would the luxury tax work if the Yankees paid most of Arods salary to another team. Is there a stipulation that in the calculation it the player does not play on the team it does not count? I would assume no.

Comment

• Originally posted by schlesinj View Post
        Hypothetical question: How would the luxury tax work if the Yankees paid most of Arods salary to another team. Is there a stipulation that in the calculation it the player does not play on the team it does not count? I would assume no.
        I don't know the answer to this question. The Yankees paid AJ Burnett $6.5mil this year, does that count towards the magical 189mil number? I honestly don't know.

If it DOESN'T count, that is a huge incentive for the Yankees to get rid of A-Rod. They have lots of money they can't spend on salaries or the draft or internationally without being penalized. They could pay 90+ mil of what he's owed, enough that whoever takes him can give him $5mil/yr to waive his NTC.

Bigger question, if they do unload A-Rod, do they dare move Jeter to 3B?

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
          I don't know the answer to this question. The Yankees paid AJ Burnett $6.5mil this year, does that count towards the magical 189mil number? I honestly don't know.

If it DOESN'T count, that is a huge incentive for the Yankees to get rid of A-Rod. They have lots of money they can't spend on salaries or the draft or internationally without being penalized. They could pay 90+ mil of what he's owed, enough that whoever takes him can give him $5mil/yr to waive his NTC.

Bigger question, if they do unload A-Rod, do they dare move Jeter to 3B?
          They didn't dare move Jeter to 3B when they traded for A-Rod, who at the time was the better defensive SS, so I doubt that they'd move him now.

Who did you have in mind to play shortstop--

--Nunez? He doesn't strike me as a full-timer, even if his defense proves to be adequate or better.
          --Nix? No more than a journeyman utility player.
          --Some minor league phenom? Yeah, that would go over well with the fans.
          --Free agent? Is there anyone out there who's an improvement?
          --Trade? Who do the Yankees have that is healthy, productive, and valuable after discounting the inevitable Yankee hype?

I'm not asking to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

• Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            They didn't dare move Jeter to 3B when they traded for A-Rod, who at the time was the better defensive SS, so I doubt that they'd move him now.

Who did you have in mind to play shortstop--

--Nunez? He doesn't strike me as a full-timer, even if his defense proves to be adequate or better.
            --Nix? No more than a journeyman utility player.
            --Some minor league phenom? Yeah, that would go over well with the fans.
            --Free agent? Is there anyone out there who's an improvement?
            --Trade? Who do the Yankees have that is healthy, productive, and valuable after discounting the inevitable Yankee hype?

I'm not asking to be sarcastic. I'm genuinely curious.
            They would only dare to move Jeter if he was willing. His recovery from his ankle injury might dictate that.

Other than David Wright, I'm not sure there are a lot of options out there for 3B either, so it's 6 of one, half a dozen of the other, unless you think Chavez could hold up for 400 usable ABs (I don't). So if they deal A-Rod, they have a hole regardless.

I saw some speculation that A-Rod to the Marlins could include Jose Reyes coming back, but I don't see that at all. Yes, Reyes is expensive, but his contract isn't an albatross like A-Rod.

Do the Phillies still want to deal J-Roll? Some of those pop-ups could actually leave Yankee Stadium

Comment

• Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Do the Phillies still want to deal J-Roll? Some of those pop-ups could actually leave Yankee Stadium
              Nope, they're fine with being over the luxury tax next year.
              Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
              We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

• So if you read Jonah Keri's article on the 2013 Yankees, he doesn't come out and say it, but he seems to be implying that salary paid for traded players DOES count towards the 189mil number.

Counting a few huge contracts, a smattering of buyouts, and A.J. Burnett, the Yankees owe about $119 million for next season.

Comment

Working...
                X