No announcement yet.

2K12 NY Yankees: Boom Boom in the Boogie Down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the Yanks have a team option on Grandy -- $13m or a $2m buyout. The odds are probably high that he sticks around, but the Yanks could choose to bypass his power in favor of not having yet another sub .250-hitter in the lineup.

And with the Dodgers spending like drunken sailors on shore leave, would it be unheard of if the Yanks ate $50m of ARod's albatross of a contract and shipped him to Magicwood, then went after David Wright?

The good thing is the Yanks will shed the contracts of Ichiro, Swisher, Lowe, Kuroda, Martin, Rivera, Garcia, Pettitte and AJones and be able to pick and choose who they want to stick around. I assume Mo & Pettitte are definites, and they'll pay to keep Kuroda. Ichiro will definitely look for a starting gig somewhere as he guns for 3,000 (hello Citifield?),, but this offseason can be pivotal in a subtle rebuilding of the Yanks.

Comment

• Ichiro will be offered a large one year deal to replace Swisher. Mo & Andy will be back of course, and I think they'll give Kuroda a 1/$15-17 type of deal if he wants it to keep him in the fold. While shipping ARod to La La Land would be wonderful (and highly doubtful to happen), I doubt they'd go after Wright given that $189M 2014 payroll mandate given by the Steinbrenners.
      "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

• Originally posted by revo View Post
        the Yanks have a team option on Grandy -- $13m or a $2m buyout. The odds are probably high that he sticks around, but the Yanks could choose to bypass his power in favor of not having yet another sub .250-hitter in the lineup.

And with the Dodgers spending like drunken sailors on shore leave, would it be unheard of if the Yanks ate $50m of ARod's albatross of a contract and shipped him to Magicwood, then went after David Wright?

The good thing is the Yanks will shed the contracts of Ichiro, Swisher, Lowe, Kuroda, Martin, Rivera, Garcia, Pettitte and AJones and be able to pick and choose who they want to stick around. I assume Mo & Pettitte are definites, and they'll pay to keep Kuroda. Ichiro will definitely look for a starting gig somewhere as he guns for 3,000 (hello Citifield?),, but this offseason can be pivotal in a subtle rebuilding of the Yanks.
        The Dodgers taking on A-Rod's massive deal is the fondest wish of all Yankee fans. I can't see them doing it, but I guess you never know.

Curtis will be back in 2013, but he may have lost the right to play CF, and you may see Gardner there. I think Granderson lost any hope of signing a long-term deal beyond 2013, though, and if the Yankees think they can pick up his option, flip him and replace him, I wouldn't be completely shocked.

Will Jeter be ready for ST? At this point it's a massive unknown.

Comment

• Oh boy, I wonder how much traction this will get.

From RotoWorld:

Alex Rodriguez - 3B - Yankees
          Wallace Matthews and Andrew Marchand of ESPNNewYork.com report that the Yankees and Marlins have discussed a possible Alex Rodriguez trade.
          It was first reported by Keith Olbermann on his MLB.com "Nerd Blog," and now Matthews and Marchand have confirmed that conversations have indeed taken place between Yankees president Randy Levine and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. They describe the initial discussions as "casual," but with the possibility of becoming serious this offseason. The Yankees would obviously have to eat a ton of the $114 million still owed to A-Rod to get a deal done, and Rodriguez has a no-trade clause. But, the third baseman is from Miami and has obviously fallen out of favor in New York. Matthews and Marchand mention the possibility of the Marlins unloading Heath Bell's contract onto the Yanks. Nothing is remotely close to happening anytime soon, but it's something to monitor over the winter.
          I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

• I must say that I respected the way the Yankees battled in Game 3 against a GREAT pitcher.
            Nunez 9th inning AB, especially. walks out of a morgue, I mean dugout, and battles Verlander tooth-and-nail. hits a long just-foul double, then a HR. that took guts.
            then 1st and 2nd, also at least got Verlander to relinquish the mound.

never thought I'd think of a Yankees performance as "scrappy."
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
              I must say that I respected the way the Yankees battled in Game 3 against a GREAT pitcher.
              Nunez 9th inning AB, especially. walks out of a morgue, I mean dugout, and battles Verlander tooth-and-nail. hits a long just-foul double, then a HR. that took guts.
              then 1st and 2nd, also at least got Verlander to relinquish the mound.

never thought I'd think of a Yankees performance as "scrappy."
              I just wish they could find a way to be "scrappy" or even remotely productive on offense before the 9th inning. If I'm not mistaken, for this entire post-season-to-date, the Yankees have more total runs in the 9th inning or later than they do in innings 1 thru 8 combined.

Comment

• Originally posted by B-Fly View Post
                I just wish they could find a way to be "scrappy" or even remotely productive on offense before the 9th inning. If I'm not mistaken, for this entire post-season-to-date, the Yankees have more total runs in the 9th inning or later than they do in innings 1 thru 8 combined.
                Well, they're scrappy without the "s" before the 9th. You Yankee fans just want everything.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

• If ARod's not going to play, at least he can sweep up the place!

Comment

• A-Rod informed the media after the game that he isn't going anywhere - will not waive his no-trade clause, has "something to prove."

for the tabloids, the gift that keeps on giving!

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

A-Rod informed the media after the game that he isn't going anywhere - will not waive his no-trade clause, has "something to prove."

for the tabloids, the gift that keeps on giving!
                      "Alex Rodriguez said that he has no plans to waive his no-trade clause this offseason.
                      A report earlier Thursday from Bob Nightengale of USA Today said A-Rod wouldn't block a trade, but evidently that's not the case. At least not at this time, anyway. "That's correct," Rodriguez said. "I will be back. I have a lot to prove." A-Rod has been in decline for five straight seasons and has $114 million left on his contract, so he's nearly impossible to deal even if he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause."

The guy is the most self-absorbed player I think I've ever seen. Come ON, Alex, you got what you wanted when you forced the trade to the Yankees--a ring. Time to admit that the fans hate you in New York. Take your ring, your money, and your eye for pretty girls who'll tell you how pretty you are, and go somewhere else. Maybe you can rebuild some of your reputation with another team by doing what you haven't been able to do lately with the Yankees; you know, produce.

I remember how much of a laugh Yankee fans thought it was when the Rangers were still paying some of Rodriguez' salary in his early Yankee years. Will they still be laughing when the Yankees are paying virtually all of his salary to play for some other team?

Now, there are two things that should be noted here--One, the Yankees are still a darned good team, even though they got punked in this series (you don't suck if you make it as far as the LCS); and Two, Alex Rodriguez is not the only problem the team has, just the most visible, most expensive, and seemingly most intractable. There's the post-season failures of Cano and Granderson (among others), the team's overall age, the need for a new RF, the need for a new catcher, the weak bench, the mediocrity of the rotation after CC and Kuroda,...
                      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                      -- William James

Comment

• Adding to the questions facing the Almighty Yankees this off-season, this from Rotoworld--

"Andy Pettitte hopes to make a decision about whether or not to return next season "in a month or so."
                        He doesn't exactly have a clear timetable, but Pettitte definitely wants to make a decision sooner rather than later. "I wish I knew," Pettitte said. "I wish I had a set date or something like that. I know I want to make it as quick as I can. I would like to know. Hopefully, I can come to a conclusion in a month or so." The 40-year-old indicated earlier this month that he is leaning towards returning for another season."

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                        -- William James

Comment

• I know it's easy to say that Kuroda will be back as long as the price is right, but he didn't come over from Japan until 5 years ago when he was 33 years old. Huge name in Japan.

Are we certain he re-ups for the circus for the dough? He's no kid.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

I know it's easy to say that Kuroda will be back as long as the price is right, but he didn't come over from Japan until 5 years ago when he was 33 years old. Huge name in Japan.

Are we certain he re-ups for the circus for the dough? He's no kid.
                            I don't recall reading anything that said he wasn't happy pitching for the Yankees. He seems to have handled the NY pressure very well. This is one case in which re-signing an "old guy" makes sense.

-- William James

Comment

• Oh, it makes GREAT sense for the Yankees.

I don't recall reading him having said anything at all this year.

And yes he pitched well - best ERA+ in his 5 seasons. Not dominant, but solid.

I don't claim any inner knowledge, just wondering with his unusual career if we can be sure that "price is right" is all it takes. Plus the Yankees claim a payroll limit. Pettitte AND Kuroda?

Fascinating offseason challenge. I wonder if Cashman somewhat makes or breaks a mixed-bag resume....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

• "the Yankees claim a payroll limit"

Yeah, and every team loses money every year, all surgeries are a success, the WWE is legit, David Stern is impartial, and Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, and the Tooth Fairy are real.

Seriously, though, IF the Yankees re-sign Pettitte and Kuroda and IF Pineda is healthy, that's not a bad "front four".

-- William James

Comment

Working...
                                X